Suspension Questions - please chime in

cretin

Folks, I changed the title of this thread to Suspension Questions - please chime in as it was apparent that it was more a fishing and learning thread than one with real issues to be noted.
Thanks, 
redfjniner

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm happy with the thread title - an issue may be also be a problem but it generally means a "topic for discussion" which is what we have here. I'm not keen on people using the word issue when they really mean problem. It happens in my work and it is just people trying to avoid using the word PROBLEM as they think this will be a problem.
Maybe it's just me ;) haha 
I am the customer satisfaction leader for an electronics company. "Issue" and "problem" are like swear words in my day to day work. We always find other creative descriptions like, 'design limitation' and 'event'.
I worked in the failure analysis of customer returns for Xerox UK - I had a gutful of various departmental engineers and managers inventing terminology to avoid admitting there is a problem in their fiefdom.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I think the word 'issues' in the subject line is a misnomer. It's stock suspension on a sub-$15,000 bike.  
It's entry-mid range suspension that is not going to perform up to the standards of someone used to high end suspension.

Issue makes it seem like there's something wrong with it, but I think it's doing what it's designed to do. It's not designed to be top of the line suspension.

My 2 cents :)
Fair enough, but keep in mind I'm comparing to my sub $8,000 FZ6R, completely stock, that I think handled rough bumps much better. 
I don't think the suspension is garbage, but I don't think the word 'issues' is any harsher than the rear shock   :D

I'm selling my FZ-09 to a much lighter friend so my Ohlins forks and Penske rear shock is an over kill for him. Going to do a fork swap between the bikes and see how the shorter forks from the FZ with the upgraded internals make it feel. Just measured both sets of forks today and the FJ's are 1/2 inch longer.

• Premium Member
How does it handle in the twisties?
Just look at the smile on my face after a ride or follow me in the twisties and you will be a believer. Sometimes harsh over washboard highways, but that is my only complaint.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I'm selling my FZ-09 to a much lighter friend so my Ohlins forks and Penske rear shock is an over kill for him. Going to do a fork swap between the bikes and see how the shorter forks from the FZ with the upgraded internals make it feel. Just measured both sets of forks today and the FJ's are 1/2 inch longer.
60-70lbs or so difference in weight between the two (guesstimate only. please feel free to correct me on the weights as I've not looked them up). I imagine it may be just a bit under sprung. I'd be anxious to hear about it though. I have Traxxion and Penske on one bike and long travel, under sprung, soft as a pillow on the other. I'm hoping to be able to get the FJ someplace in the middle.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Went to Nashville from Washington DC and back. Found these setting on the internet, makes the bike a bit stiff but feels way more grounded.

Suggested Suspension Settings

FRONT: Spring preload—2 lines showing on adjuster; rebound damping—0.5 turn out from full stiff; ride height—0mm showing above top triple clamp
REAR: Spring preload—Position 5 of 7; rebound damping—1 turn out from full stiff

I'm pretty light (155 Lbs) I'm still working on it...

I had my suspension adjusted last Saturday by Jim at Catylist Reaction in San Carlos, Ca
From the factory, the front preload was set too soft and the shock was too stiff. He made some adjustments and it made a big difference.
I ended up ordering a K-Tech fork kit and shock through him that he will be installing and setting up for me. Can't wait since so far it's the only major thing it needs besides the recall coming
Love the motor, it rocks

• 3 weeks later...
KTM 950 SM with fully adjustable WP suspension. Obviously taking it down a notch with the FJ.

Probably more like 3-4 steps down... I'm sure the AK-20 will be fantastic. But surely Traxxion, Racetech, GP suspension, ThermosMan and other tuners can accomplish most of the improvement by fixing the forks' valve stack and possibly replacing the piston (if substandard)? Rebuild/revalve rates should be $300 or less.

Choppy ride is almost always the fault of the rebound circuit. Not to say Yamaha (well, more like Kayaba) didn't completely screw up the compression circuit too (they have a well-earned reputation for doing it wrong on quite a few bikes).

If anyone is in Northern Virginia and willing, I could take a look and see if the problem was obvious and try one of my shim stacks that I've used on SV and FZ/MT07 equipped with cartridge guts.

Guest bmidd
KTM 950 SM with fully adjustable WP suspension. Obviously taking it down a notch with the FJ.
Probably more like 3-4 steps down... I'm sure the AK-20 will be fantastic. But surely Traxxion, Racetech, GP suspension, ThermosMan and other tuners can accomplish most of the improvement by fixing the forks' valve stack and possibly replacing the piston (if substandard)? Rebuild/revalve rates should be $300 or less. 
Choppy ride is almost always the fault of the rebound circuit. Not to say Yamaha (well, more like Kayaba) didn't completely screw up the compression circuit too (they have a well-earned reputation for doing it wrong on quite a few bikes).

If anyone is in Northern Virginia and willing, I could take a look and see if the problem was obvious and try one of my shim stacks that I've used on SV and FZ/MT07 equipped with cartridge guts.
If someone wants to pay shipping, they can use my internals from my forks to have someone build them a set and then send me their stock internals when they get them swapped out. Mine are sitting sealed in a bag and in a box from my AK20 swap. They have 130 miles on them.

• 2 weeks later...
Let's say I have the MSRP of 10,490 available (USA dollars) and want to choose between FJ-09 or FZ-09 (with over $2,000 to play with on suspension upgrades to the FZ-09).
Same motor and frame, but obviously the FZ-09 would sacrifice ABS and have smaller tank, and some ergo differences.
I am a lone-wolf, never carry a passenger. My soft bags are adequate on current bike. I do day trips, nothing out of state.
I know many of you own FZ rather than FJ because it came out first - and likely have opinions on this.
I have sat on both of them at the dealer, the FZ fits me a bit better (I weigh 155 lbs, 5'8").
If the FJ was set with lower seat the ergos would likely be a non-issue.
I agree the FJ suspension is likely adequate, and improved over the stock FZ-09. But I do hit the twisties pretty hard.
If I was going to a cartridge upgrade up front, replace the rear shock - and was OK without ABS and the smaller gas tank - why wouldn't I get the FZ?
I would put an aftermarket windscreen on either bike, so the FJ coming with a windscreen is not a plus for me.
I have had a MC license since 1972 and have had lots of different bikes.
Currently I am riding an ancient Honda 750 that I purchased as a "time capsule" with super low miles a few years ago. Forks have no cartridges, super basic suspension. I have the classic "too soft - brake dive" yet "knock your teeth out on big bumps" that is associated with the old damper-rod design suspension.
So I would really like to take this opportunity with my next bike to have suspension that can "take the hit" on big bumps, absorb them, without being a mushbox on less demanding surfaces.
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Premium Member
For 2015 the standard MT09 comes with ABS, in the UK at least. Plus a free Akro exhaust if you are quick.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest bmidd
Let's say I have the MSRP of 10,490 available (USA dollars) and want to choose between FJ-09 or FZ-09 (with over $2,000 to play with on suspension upgrades to the FZ-09). Same motor and frame, but obviously the FZ-09 would sacrifice ABS and have smaller tank, and some ergo differences.
I am a lone-wolf, never carry a passenger. My soft bags are adequate on current bike. I do day trips, nothing out of state.
I know many of you own FZ rather than FJ because it came out first - and likely have opinions on this.
I have sat on both of them at the dealer, the FZ fits me a bit better (I weigh 155 lbs, 5'8").
If the FJ was set with lower seat the ergos would likely be a non-issue.
I agree the FJ suspension is likely adequate, and improved over the stock FZ-09. But I do hit the twisties pretty hard.
If I was going to a cartridge upgrade up front, replace the rear shock - and was OK without ABS and the smaller gas tank - why wouldn't I get the FZ?
I would put an aftermarket windscreen on either bike, so the FJ coming with a windscreen is not a plus for me.
I have had a MC license since 1972 and have had lots of different bikes.
Currently I am riding an ancient Honda 750 that I purchased as a "time capsule" with super low miles a few years ago. Forks have no cartridges, super basic suspension. I have the classic "too soft - brake dive" yet "knock your teeth out on big bumps" that is associated with the old damper-rod design suspension.
So I would really like to take this opportunity with my next bike to have suspension that can "take the hit" on big bumps, absorb them, without being a mushbox on less demanding surfaces.
If I was your height and weight, it would be the FZ all day long. I'm too tall to be comfortable on the FZ, which is why I didn't buy one last year. I prefer the upright riding position of the FJ, it was between the FJ and a 2012 MTS1200 and I still came out cheaper with the FJ and the Traxxion than I would have on the Multi. BTW the Multi would have had to be reworked for my weight and riding style, so it turned into a no-brainer.  

Quality suspension is a beautiful thing.  I had an FZ and now an FJ.  I went for the FJ for the improved seating, bigger tank, ABS and center stand.  Wasn't particularly interested in the fairing/screen and that has proven to be the biggest issue that I'm trying to resolve.  I thoroughly enjoyed the FZ and debated much as you are.  If I were to do it again, I'm not sure I wouldn't choose the FZ and quality aftermarket suspension.  That it's also 50 pounds lighter is a very good thing.  I haven't had a lot of time to ride the FJ yet, the weather is just starting to get decent around here.  After I get a bunch more miles on it, I'm anticipating that I will like it more and more.  Either choice, the engine is quite entertaining.

Archived