Do I use the shim on EBC brake pads?

stevesweetz

Doing my brake pads for the first time (ever, not just on my FJ).

I ordered some EBC pads.  The front pads came with a shim on the back, which can be removed.  The rear did not.

I have not yet looked at whether the stock pads have a similar shim. 

So just to be sure: do I use the shim or not?

• Supporting Member

Hi @stevesweetz - I also use the EBC HH pads, and installed them exactly as they came out of the package, with that backing plate in place... I honestly didn't even notice that it was removable. 

I suspect that is an anti-squeal shim which is pre-installed on the backing plate.  Leave it alone and enjoy your strong - and quiet - new brakes.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, stevesweetz said:

Doing my brake pads for the first time (ever, not just on my FJ).

I ordered some EBC pads.  The front pads came with a shim on the back, which can be removed.  The rear did not.

I have not yet looked at whether the stock pads have a similar shim. 

So just to be sure: do I use the shim or not?

When I installed my rear, i removed the backing plates from the stock and put them on the EBCs. Not sure if they would work as well without. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

Funny enough, it turned that the stock front pads did not have a shim/backing plate, while the stock rear pads did.  The exact opposite of how the EBC pads come. 😖

I kept the EBC shim on the front pads and like coachluciano I re-used the stock shim on the rear pads.

All seems to be good, plenty of stopping power and no noises, so presumably it was fine to do it like that.

Edited by stevesweetz

• Premium Member

I just installed some EBC front pads with the quote-unquote shims which I believe are there to help dissipate Heat whereas the pads slipped in to the calipers and rotor easily with the Pistons fully retracted it seems pretty tight once I took up the gaps by gently pumping the master cylinder lever I haven't had a chance to test ride it yet but I'm also concerned about binding

I did measured the thickness of the EBC shims and they were each about .40 millimeters thick which for each caliper only totals about .8 mm which shouldn't be a problem I guess I'll find out

Before that I had a set of vesrah rjl racing pads which were good but when I went to the R1 320 mm rotors I bought a new set from Kurvy Girl but they were the RJ LCT which didn't seem to have is much stopping power as the regular rjl then I had the compression adjustment screw on the left Fork cartridge o-ring leak (Forks by Matt cartridges) all over the caliper and rotor and tried cleaning the pads and despite trying to sand the pads flat I wasn't getting full rotor contact so I abraded and cleaned the rotors once again and installed the EBCs which hopefully they have better bite than the rjl CT