Cruise Control options ?

Now that the 2019 GT has cruse control, has this opened up any options for the older models? I was sure hoping that it would be an add on option like the quick shifter but I somehow doubt it. Anyone know if the tuners have been able to clone the code from the new ECU ? I know there are a few aftermarket options but a search here did not bring up any new info. that I could find.

• Premium Member

So far, no, nobody has adapted the GT code for older FJ/Tracer models. It would probably be too complex given that the GT has a completely different display unit and new switchgear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
4 hours ago, riding_tall said:

Thanks for the reply, assumed that's what it would be but worth looking into. It would be nice but still not sure it's worth the effort at this point.

MCCruise is probably the only option available, and yes, it is absolutely worth the effort.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

MCruise .. still works with Woolich Race Kit if you have ECU tuned to use the Race Kit... Race Kit is QS for both up/downshifts, launch control, etc...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

13 hours ago, betoney said:

MCCruise is probably the only option available, and yes, it is absolutely worth the effort.

I have a '15 with aftermarket electronic cruise control that is not a McCruise and it works beautifully. I actually don't know the brand, I'm the second owner. 

The middle button turns it on/off, top button sets, bottom resumes, and once set, the top/bottom button increases or decreases speed by 1 MPH. It's pretty straightforward. The clutch and front brake disengages the CC. 

IMG_20190822_124124893_HDR.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, maximo said:

I have a '15 with aftermarket electronic cruise control that is not a McCruise and it works beautifully. I actually don't know the brand, I'm the second owner.

I believe that is the Brandon Distributing CC.  If I remember correctly they went out of business leaving MCCruise the only one left making a CC for the FJ/Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1

Both MCruise and Brandon Dist used the same stuff but had different switch blocks/harness to operate the CC... I have used both but went with Brandon Dist... 

Edited by norcal616
  • Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I believe that is the Brandon Distributing CC.  If I remember correctly they went out of business leaving MCCruise the only one left making a CC for the FJ/Tracer.

Good info, thanks!

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Update in case anyone is interested or has recently ordered MCCruise:

I placed an order for the MCCruise unit last week. The owner Tony Guymer emailed me and said they are hoping to fill about 30 backorders this week. They have a new hardware rev that he says offers improved performance, full CANbus compatibility, and Bluetooth v5. Tony says he tested the new hardware on his own Tracer and was "blown away" with the improved performance. 

Bluetooth v5 should offer more reliable phone connectivity for field upgrades and customization. They are working on some revised software that will take some months to develop, but among other things they are experimenting with an active cruise system that can adjust speed automatically based on BING or Here Technology speed limit data. I'm not sure this is something I would want to use, but it's an intriguing concept.

NOTE - I haven't received my MCCruise yet, so I can't yet offer my own opinion on these upgrades. But it's good to see that MCCruise support and development for the FJ/Tracer is ongoing. 

• Thanks 2

• Supporting Member

Here's the word from the horse's mouth (Tony Guymer) on all the latest revelations as mentioned by @keithu above.

Key point: -

The new hardware available end of October – limited to 100 until December – is fully CanBus compatible.  It is remarkable and paves the way for Bluetooth uploads of new software anywhere in the world and has extraordinary performance.  (I have never been super happy with our ability to get rid of the ‘niggling’ over-control close to SET speed on powerful bikes like the MT-09 and many other hyperbikes, but we have now found the solution.) 

Excellent!

Edited by dazzler24
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Here's some screen grabs of the new McCruise app.

I like the idea of being able to get any new firmware that becomes available and update it directly via the app!

There's even talk of the possibility of integrating a radar detector into this new hardware down the track according to Tony's blog!

1.thumb.jpg.e6a56b7182ee986f89924f1c26930042.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.36825d253bd5a81e2ec03da8909fdfc5.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.29afa9c430b78368217b214b4d2ced2f.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.40fc0a4321a770db1d3fd00d0141cd5e.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

@dazzler24 or @keithu  Did Tony say whether this is a different control unit than the original version sold for the '15+ Fj09?  Was there any mention of an update available for the original units to bring them up to the latest firmware?