Cruise Control options ?

• Supporting Member

@betoney - I haven't spoken to Tony and the only info I have is what was written by Tony in his recent blog on the subject on 10th Oct.  See my link above in the earlier post for the details.

However it 'appears' by his words that it is new hardware and I can only 'assume' then that it's different from earlier versions.

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

However it 'appears' by his words that it is new hardware and I can only 'assume' then that it's different from earlier versions.

That is what I was thinking as well.  While it would be cool to update to something with "new and improved" features, my original MCCruise works perfect so I will leave it as-is.

Thanks.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, betoney said:

That is what I was thinking as well.  While it would be cool to update to something with "new and improved" features, my original MCCruise works perfect so I will leave it as-is.

Thanks.

@betoney - I ordered a McCruise a few weeks ago and was told that there was a backorder backlog and I assumed that I would be getting what everyone else had received in the past as there was no mention of any new hardware (to my recollection at least!)  All of this new information about new hardware was totally unexpected and only came to my attention when @keithu mentioned it.  I'm 'guessing' that I'll be getting one of these new devices.

Not that I'm complaining of course.

And you're right, if your version does what it was advertised to do and you're happy with it then it's happy days.

I'll post if I find out any more on whether there's backwards compatibility.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, betoney said:

While it would be cool to update to something with "new and improved" features, my original MCCruise works perfect so I will leave it as-is.

Indeed... does what it is supposed to do. I bought my unit shortly before the 2017 bikes came on the market, and recall Tony mentioning that he was experiencing supply issues with the original control unit and wasn't sure he was going to develop for the new bikes (ECU changes). Caused a bit of panic on the forum I remember... expensive as it was, this was really the only CC option for the FJ. My defenses broke down pretty quickly, and I installed the unit on the bike that winter. Solid, quality kit.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, betoney said:

@dazzler24 or @keithu  Did Tony say whether this is a different control unit than the original version sold for the '15+ Fj09?  Was there any mention of an update available for the original units to bring them up to the latest firmware?

He did not mention it, but it sounds like the new hardware enables (or simplifies) updating. So I assume the older units can't be easily updated with new firmware. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

@piotrek @betoney - Just got off the phone to Tony following up on my order and mentioned that there were questions as to whether the 'older' McCruises could be retrofitted and his answer was a qualified YES.  After some discussion instead of me trying to deliver 2nd hand news that may not be entirely accurate I put it to him, due to the variables involved, that he might like to add something to the McCruise website to clarify the issue.

He agreed but is fairly busy right now trying to satisfy back orders.  I suggest keep checking the site or if you're really keen send an email with your specific questions.  In his own words - "This is the part I like - talking to customers".

From what I understand there were many older units that could be fitted with the new bluetooth module but of those some could be updated while others were read only.  Don't quote me on that as there were a few if, buts and depends in there too.

Stay tuned!

• Thanks 3

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@piotrek @betoney - Just got off the phone to Tony following up on my order and mentioned that there were questions as to whether the 'older' McCruises could be retrofitted and his answer was a qualified YES.

Thanks for the info.

Thinking more about it, if I didn't already have the MCCruise, I would be interested in the newest version - but I have zero "need" for the Bluetooth integration or smartphone app features.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, betoney said:

Thanks for the info.

Thinking more about it, if I didn't already have the MCCruise, I would be interested in the newest version - but I have zero "need" for the Bluetooth integration or smartphone app features.

And to be honest, I tend to largely agree with you.  As mentioned earlier, the version I thought I was buying was the same one as everyone else has got.   And I was happy with that idea.

I guess the key benefits I see (IMHO) with the new hardware are the ability to quickly download and update the firmware as new possibilities emerge, and the even finer control of the cruise speed.  Tony said that he really liked the finer control ability while his brother Frank was happy with the current version and was not fussed.  So like many things in life it sounds like it's a subjective thing.

Using BING or HERE to control my speed?..... the jury is still out on that one for me.  I'll have to give it a go though before passing judgement. 🙂

Hopefully won't have long to wait as Tony suggested that the back orders should start shipping this coming week beginning 21st Oct.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 10/19/2019 at 2:57 PM, dazzler24 said:

And to be honest, I tend to largely agree with you.  As mentioned earlier, the version I thought I was buying was the same one as everyone else has got.   And I was happy with that idea.

I guess the key benefits I see (IMHO) with the new hardware are the ability to quickly download and update the firmware as new possibilities emerge, and the even finer control of the cruise speed.  Tony said that he really liked the finer control ability while his brother Frank was happy with the current version and was not fussed.  So like many things in life it sounds like it's a subjective thing.

Using BING or HERE to control my speed?..... the jury is still out on that one for me.  I'll have to give it a go though before passing judgement. 🙂

Hopefully won't have long to wait as Tony suggested that the back orders should start shipping this coming week beginning 21st Oct.

Cheers

Got my new McCruise and have installed and tested it in the garage but not yet on the road - tomorrow hopefully.

Thought I'd just mention that I was under the impression that the new cruise control was supplied with the new Bluetooth capability but it seems that it is in fact a separate hardware module that's still in development.

So, sorry if I've unintentionally misled anyone who might have been interested in that functionality.  My bad - as the youth of today would say.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Got my new McCruise and have installed and tested it in the garage but not yet on the road - tomorrow hopefully.

Thought I'd just mention that I was under the impression that the new cruise control was supplied with the new Bluetooth capability but it seems that it is in fact a separate hardware module that's still in development.

So, sorry if I've unintentionally misled anyone who might have been interested in that functionality.  My bad - as the youth of today would say.

Thanks for the update, if its an extra purchase optional add-on item then I definitely don't need it.  I'll save the money for another set of tires... 😎

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

is it still true you can't have both the heated grips and the cruise control? I would love the cruise control, but I remember from a while back that you couldn't install both on the '15 FJ 09

7 minutes ago, DavidS said:

is it still true you can't have both the heated grips and the cruise control? I would love the cruise control, but I remember from a while back that you couldn't install both on the '15 FJ 09

Totally not true... I got OEM heated grips and Brandon Dist cruise control ( same as the McCruise- just different wiring harness and switch block)...

Edited by norcal616
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, DavidS said:

I have OEM heated grips as well as MCCruise for over 2.5 years w/ no issues on my '15.