How to clean a mesh jacket

I haven't washed a Bilt jacket, but I do with my Olympia jackets and pants.  I just take the armor out and put them in the washer.  I use a full amount of soap in there, plus Oxi-Clean.  It seems to do just as good as putting them in the laundry tub and hand washing them.

I would run them through the wash cycle twice.  Once to wash, and the second time to thoroughly get rid of the soap.  Soap is designed to attract and hold dirt.  If you have a hi-vis jacket, rinsing it might help keep it from looking dirty quite as quickly.

Chris

I do exactly the same, leaving the jacket in the tub for a short ~ 30min soak cycle to allow the dried-out bug corpses to rehydrate and then come off easily in the wash cycle.   Also I hang the cleaned jacket on a chunky plastic - not wire - coat-hanger to keep it in shape whilst drying outside.   Comes up like new every time.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I use the delicate cycle on the washer. I put hte jacket in 1 load then the pants in a 2nd load. I put the jacket in without the armor, then let the washer fill with water and laundry soap. Let the jacket run for the 1st washer agitation. Then cut off for 30 minutes to soak. Then run the rest of the delicate cycle. Go back and run the rinse cyle again. Hang up to dry on the nice thick hanger that came with the jacket. I do this once to twice a year as needed. So far it's been OK with Speed and Strength,  Rev-it, Tourmaster and AGV. No damage. Make sure you remove the armor. It will crumble if you wash it......don't ask me how I know......

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

I rinse it in a 5 gallon bucket with warm water and a drop of laundry detergent. Then a rinse with clear water

Especially after this.

20190428_160703.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

21 hours ago, betoney said:

I wash my mesh jacket several times a year in cold water, NikWax Tech wash detergent and then hang to dry. 

I bought some at West Marine after reading this. Washed jacket and hung it out to dry and it's all sparkly now. It's white but was starting to look kind of beige. Got a road trip next weekend to Middletown NY next weekend to see $100,000 to win dirt track modified stock car race and didn't want to check into hotel looking like a dirtball.