Tracer Headlights

Tony Doms

Having only recently entered into the world of Tracer 900 I am only just getting familiar with the machine. Previously I had an FJR 1300 and both headlights on that machine operated at all times whether of low or high beam whereas on my Tracer only one headlight operates while on low beam, and both operate in high beam.Is this normal for the Tracer, or is there something wrong with my bike?

• Supporting Member

Unfortunately, it is operating normally, it was designed that way on purpose.  Every time I see a bike with only one of the lights operating, I think something is broken.  I wish they would do away with that stupidity already.  Since I hate that look, I use the high beam all the time, I simply aimed it down even with the one functioning light and now it doesn't look ghetto.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
1 hour ago, jrubicon said:

so in the normal setting, only one side of the headlights run normally?  i thought both ran all the time??

Here’s how my 2015 FJ looks on the low beam setting:   The little ‘eye brow’ LEDs are illuminated on both sides, but only the left side main headlight is on.  

I assume the new Tracers use the same configuration, but can’t personally confirm. 

E192D8FA-4AD9-4DB3-A6A5-540DEDB5C076.thumb.jpeg.02ce9bae5f5d6ae6434b04b3f06b204a.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, jrubicon said:

so in the normal setting, only one side of the headlights run normally?  i thought both ran all the time??

i disasembled a ton of stuff to try to replace the bulb when i gave up.

Your GT is normal, JRubicon.  Lo beam is on the left; Hi beam is on the right.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Normal... It's a safety thing... It's easier for another to judge your distance with a dim and bright headlight setup vs one big singular looking light... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, norcal616 said:

Normal... It's a safety thing... It's easier for another to judge your distance with a dim and bright headlight setup vs one big singular looking light... 

Yeah, it's normal, but as to the rest?  Both appear to be the same brightness to me, so it's just angle.  From a safety/proper riding perspective, you shouldn't have the high beam on when riding in traffic anyways what with the eye poking distraction, so I'd question that rationale.

I suspect it's more simply that they two lights are the same units (lowering manufacturing costs), and single LED's not separate bulbs, so having one for low beam and one for high beam just makes that work and it's a very common setup across manufacturers.  

I too just lower the right hand light and leave "high beams" on all the time because I hate the single-light look, particularly with both "eyebrows" on.  Aftermarket lights cover the rest.  To each their own, though. 

• Thumbsup 1