Dr. Ivan's Brain Surgery

Larz

After much reading and deliberation ( Woolich tune and a Graves Titanium exhaust $$$...hard to resist; or Ivan's tune with a slip-on and put the $$ saved into the suspension....sensible) I lobotomized my bike on Thursday afternoon and sent her brain across the continent to Dr. Ivan for his specialized surgery 😀 

Today before noon her brain arrived back in Arizona, and shortly thereafter she was restored to life. Reattaching the fuel tank, I started her up. I could tell right away, just running on the centerstand in the garage, that the exhaust note was a little deeper and the engine smoother running. Monsoon dust storm kept the initial test ride short:

Yes, the throttle feels like a cable throttle now

Much smoother as felt in vibes at the handlebar- stock tune with the hand guards removed the vibes were almost annoying at 5+K , now much less and almost non-existent over 6+K

Definitely cooler running by at least 5 degrees

"feels" like there is slightly more power

Low speed precision maneuvers are much easier, the throttle is steady at low rpms, no "hunting" anymore

No more funky exhaust sounds

Yep, cruise control at 8mph...

Talking with Ivan on the phone, a lot of the magic is in his complete remapping of all the ignition timing.

Money well spent

IMG_20190809_081157.jpg

IMG_20190810_120148.jpg

IMG_20190810_125503.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

@Larz - Mine just went in the mail this morning to get re-flashed.  I already have the flash for stock exhaust but then installed the Scorpion de-cat slip-on last Fall.  I talked to 2Wheeldynoworks, questioning whether a re-flash was necessary with a slip-on, they said "absolutely, we have a fuel map specifically created for the Scorpion".  Hopefully I will have mine back on Wednesday.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@betoneyinteresting, have you been running without the baffle? Has the bike been running less than optimally, or are you looking for everything you can get out of the can? I've got a Scorpion slip-on coming this week- chose based on your's and other's reviews. Discussed with Ivan, he said sure, he could tweak the tune a bit for that can, but the difference wouldn't be noticeable by most customers. Despite running cat-less, that can does pass EU regs..... 

• Supporting Member

@Larz  The bike hasn’t been running bad at all, the only thing I’ve noticed is a slight burble and occasional pop on deceleration.  I keep the baffle in. 

I was just curious so I decided to give 2wheeldynoworks a call and they informed me that they have a specific flash just for the scorpion slip-on, so I decided “why not”?

• Thumbsup 2

21 hours ago, betoney said:

@Larz  The bike hasn’t been running bad at all, the only thing I’ve noticed is a slight burble and occasional pop on deceleration.  I keep the baffle in. 

I was just curious so I decided to give 2wheeldynoworks a call and they informed me that they have a specific flash just for the scorpion slip-on, so I decided “why not”?

Are they doing the re-flash for free? I think they offer that service, correct?

@CoopYeah man, I hear the Vendors are looking for ya- good thing you haven't put up any face pics 😉

@betoneySure, why not 👍 ( oh yeah, the burbling and popping- my bike did that loud enough to hear thru the Cat, with the stock tune- but from what I've read, it's not A/F ratios, but rather the AIS. Ivan's flash disables it at the ECU, I can't get the bike to do it now, not even intentionally loading up the throttle and then dumping it so there's lots of un-burned gas in the exhaust; hopefully there's no enraged Sierra Clubbers out there reading this: unlike coop, I have put up face pics.... 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

Are they doing the re-flash for free? I think they offer that service, correct?

Yes, they reflash for free.  

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

***UPDATE***  The flash for the Scorpion was a HUGE success!!  I have my ride mode default to A mode but occasionally would switch to B mode in city stop and go traffic as the on/off fueling was smoother, even with the previous flash.

Unless I was very smooth with my throttle hand, the initial opening and final closing point of throttle was a little jerky like taking up slack in a tow strap when towing a vehicle, NOT ANYMORE!  every millimeter of throttle travel feels butter smooth, the best way I can describe it is - the smoothness of B mode on steroids with a quick turn. 

Engine braking thankfully wasn't altered from their stock exhaust map, its still light and unobtrusive when transitioning from corner to corner, and the burble and occasional pop on trailing throttle is gone.

The initial flash from factory to the stock exhaust map was a huge improvement, this new flash is as if I had never had it flashed previously, 2WDW really knocked it out of the park!  And you cant beat the price!!  😎

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, betoney said:

...The initial flash from factory to the stock exhaust map was a huge improvement, this new flash is as if I had never had it flashed previously...

Thanks for the update. I would have thought that the re-flash would yield a more subtle improvement... not quite transformational that you describe, especially considering that you're running ActiveTune. I will be sending my ECU to Vcyclenut for a re-flash in the winter... expectations are high then 😂.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Thanks for the update. I would have thought that the re-flash would yield a more subtle improvement... not quite transformational that you describe, especially considering that you're running ActiveTune. I will be sending my ECU to Vcyclenut for a re-flash in the winter... expectations are high then 😂.

I called 2WDW and talked to Travis, I didn't understand all of his technical jargon but he was saying it is much easier to get a "near-perfect" fuel map on an aftermarket exhaust vs the restrictive stock unit.  For some reason the fuel map they make for the stock exhaust is improved over stock but has minor compromises.  Definitely give VCYCLENUT a call and see what he recommends.

• Thumbsup 3

37 minutes ago, betoney said:

I called 2WDW and talked to Travis, I didn't understand all of his technical jargon but he was saying it is much easier to get a "near-perfect" fuel map on an aftermarket exhaust vs the restrictive stock unit.  For some reason the fuel map they make for the stock exhaust is improved over stock but has minor compromises.  Definitely give VCYCLENUT a call and see what he recommends.

Had Vcyclenut do mine also and was great to work with. Went over to Ft. Myers and had him do it there.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, RandyN said:

Had Vcyclenut do mine also and was great to work with. Went over to Ft. Myers and had him do it there.

David is alright. When I wanted to buy his AIS block off plates, he had no good shipping options to Canada. Called him up and he added an option to the check-out transaction. Thumbs up.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 1 month later...

Sent my ECU off to Ivan on a Monday and had it back on Wednesday!!  Going on / off throttle in A mode is much more smooth.  Even shifting with the clutch is smoother since you need to open / close the throttle for each shift.  Power seems to come on slightly faster when rolling on the throttle in lower gears and there is less engine vibration (not that it was bad in the first place).  Cruise control now works in all gears.  It was a hot day and when stopped at a light I noticed the fan came on sooner than usual...….a good thing for keeping the engine cool.  The one unexpected surprise is that now the quick shifter seems to work better with faster, smoother shifts.  Maybe a result of the changes to fueling or ignition timing tables.  Money well spent.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 8 months later...

Well my ECU is on the way to Ivan for my 2020. Frankly I don't have any issues with the fueling besides roll on, especially mid corner in roundabouts. All the other features, speed limiter, cruise control in any gear/speed, AIS, start in A mode..ect is what I'm primarily looking for.
I'm not chasing MPG or HP, just smoothness.

I had a down week so I figured why not., fingers crossed.