Dr. Ivan's Brain Surgery

Larz

Oh boy!

Ran out quick during lunch to pop it in to make sure the bike starts,  that's as far as I got.
Must resist the urge to rush the bike back together after work!

50019568038_c9f72d04db_c.jpg

I now have 400 miles under my flash across 4 different days. I don't know if it's a combination of all the reading I did on the subject or maybe I've been screwed before from other canned tunes on other bikes, but this one actually does everything Ivan says it does.

I keep waiting for the let down but it has yet to happen. I've experienced the placebo effect on other tunes only to snap back to reality the next day.  Haven't had it yet.

Pro's:
Less overall vibrations (4-6k is still there sort of, now I have to actively search to find some vibrations)
Easier to downshift/rev match
Putzing (10-40 mph is effortless), also very easy to handle at u turn speeds
STD and B drive modes are now completely useless (std mode was my go to before, now it's A all day)
Ultra smooth on any acceleration from a closed or partially closed throttle.
Of course all the speed limitations, cruise control...ect.

Con's:
Wiff of gas coming to a stop light, smells like a motorcycle now
Probably less MPG, but I haven't noticed. I usually get high 30's so that has not changed (I see 11k on the rev counter every ride)
Because the bike is now much smoother, remind yourself that 3rd gear is over 100 clicks on the fun meter.

Moot:
Engine sounds a bit different, especially in the 4-6k range
QS sounds a bit different going from 1-2, no change in quality of QS, mines pretty smooth from the get go

Legalities aside, If I was a yamaha dealer, this would be on every 900 that went out the door.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

@kilo3 - While I don't have Ivan's flash (mine is from 2WDW) I agree that every Yamaha should come this way from the factory.

Enjoy the "new" bike. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...

Got my re-flashed ECU back a couple of days later, and am very happy with the results. Did the TB sync as planned too....the improvement is definitely noticeable. Smoother running, cooler running, and no more jerky throttle.  Ivan did a great job, and did it very quickly...thanks to him I love this bike even more. :)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

@denveryzf
were your tb's off by much?

I checked mine at 2k and they were spot on from the factory.

One was a little lower than the “reference” TB,  and the other was  quite a bit higher. My bike has almost 15k miles, and that’s the first time it’s been done though...

• Supporting Member
Just now, denveryzf said:

One was a little lower than the “reference” TB,  and the other was  quite a bit higher. My bike has almost 15k miles, and that’s the first time it’s been done though...

With the ECU flash and TB sync, she should purr like a kitten (and sprint like a cheetah) now.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***