Warning! Check Your Side Cases Lock Screws

1 hour ago, rlambke19 said:

Which size bit is required for the pannier screws?

Rob

#10.

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

3 hours ago, skipperT said:

Just to add: pretty sure that it needs to be a safety-Torx (or tamper proof) Torx bit - which isn’t solid and has a small hole in the middle of the bit. 

-Skip

Not 'pretty sure' - it DEF must be the tamper-proof/ security bit with added hole in the business end...

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Checked mine and although they were flush they were not at all snug.  Removed them and reinstalled with locktite.  Better safe than sorry. 

Edited by johnmark101

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I tightened and loctite'd my case locks after seeing TwoWheelObsession's video on this issue.  Mine were lightly finger tight at best with no loctite.  Most likely installed that way at the dealers.  Things do fall off.  On the very first decent outing with my bike, I had the left hand bar end weight fall out.  Completely lost the bolt, weight and spacer somewhere on the road.  Didn't event notice them fall off.  In checking the right hand bar end weight it was only finger tight and again no loctite.  I'd advise checking your bar end weights adding loctite.  I found some other screws on the hand guards loose as well.

20190706_145701.jpg

Edited by TracerAU
  • Thumbsup 1

I asked the dealer to give me the 900 GT without side cases and to give me the side cases and the stays separately. I wanted to mount them myself (not that I don't trust the dealer 😉. The instruction booklet that comes with the side cases specifically states that the tiny screws on the lock must be thread locked - which I obviously did. It baffles me why dealers don't follow procedures. Hence the reason why I like to do most things myself.

Just dug out the mounting instructions for my panniers, obviously when I picked up the bike the panniers were on it so off I went!

The pannier locks have to be coordinated with the ignition key which requires the removal of the two T10 tamper resistant screws, it specifically states "Always apply locking agent (loctite)  when fastening the Torx screw"

Mystery solved, Yamaha don`t apply Loctite because the dealer has to set them up with the ignition key! mine were tight but not Loctited, Pupsi is right!

My local dealership is horrible.  Bike had several assembly defects related to dealer prep, one of which caused me a huge headache and also revealed that the dealers service department is incompetent!!! 

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:10 PM, nigel5 said:

Mystery solved, Yamaha don`t apply Loctite because the dealer has to set them up with the ignition key! mine were tight but not Loctited, Pupsi is right!

The dealer doesn't have to set them up with the ignition key. The bike comes with two locks (placed under the seat) which are already set with the ignition key. All I had to do was fix the locks to the side cases. At least that's how it was with my bike. Perhaps it's done differently in different countries.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...

just lost the left one due to vibration while riding..   just flew off...   

now i need to buy anouther one? 
or can it be used without the lock,  just for transport (excluding safety on parking)
(i was thinking on a method to turn the litle lock to the handle via top side withouth the key lock in it...)

the bike i bought used, and the waranty expired 3 months ago.

Edited by ASerio