No Motorcycles Allowed

Spending a week in Myrtle Beach SC and I see these signs posted at a lot of condos here. Guess I'll never be a condo owner here, don't see how they can legally exclude motorcycles when they are a registered and licensed form of transportation just like a car.  Pisses me off every time I see one of these signs! 

20190813_175407.jpg

• Sad 1

Quite a few places like that round here...one RV campground owner banned motorcycles on his property after his son took his own life riding one after they got into an argument... 

One campground banned all "power sports" such as quads, boats, jet skis, motorcycles because a group of renter's tore up the gravel road doing "stunts" and showing off one day during the off season somehow... 

Mainly I am getting the idea "motorcycles" do not project the image the condo owner wants for the property 🤨

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I have never seen such a sign anywhere here, but it may only be a matter of time.   Of course, what the signs are really saying is "no motorcyclists".

• Thumbsup 3

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Never seen a sign like that. Fine by me though. I will be happy to spend my money elsewhere. 

• Thumbsup 4

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Myrtle Beach has a bike week that brings in a good number of unsavory characters with sketchy behavior.  Could be the owner decided they had enough of the hooligans.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

Myrtle Beach has a bike week that brings in a good number of unsavory characters with sketchy behavior.  Could be the owner decided they had enough of the hooligans.

^This

They actually have two different "Bike Weeks" that bring in lots of sketchy people.  Myrtle beach gets a lot of party folks as it is, but both Bike Week and Black Bike Week bring in lots of noise and various issues.  The most common issues I've seen for both are noise (every straight piped motorcycle shows up to these) mixed with lots of drinking sprinkled with vandalism/hooligans/bad decisions.

I used to go during the various car event weeks too and they bring some the same issues.  If there were an easy way for them to specifically target the tuner/performance/muscle car enthusiast crowd, they would do that too.

On a side note...  parking decks really do make the best burnout concert halls.  Uhm...  I saw a video on the internet.  yeah. That's how I know.

• Haha 1

I understand about the problems with bike week and loud motorcycles, but people own the individual units in those condos and telling them what vehicles they can or cannot own based on the behavior of out of towners one or two weeks a year just seems wrong. 

• Thumbsup 3

I do not like it either, but if a condo association or home owners association can regulate what your letterbox looks like or the colors you can paint you home, then not much of a stretch to ban bikes.

I suspect if you were a home owner with a bike when they introduced this rule you may have had something to say.

Private property. Obviously they've had a problem repelling boarding pirates. 

My HOA has many signs and rules that aren't enforced for owners but are designed to keep visitors in check. Had more contact with code enforcement in the last city where I owned a home than with my condo HOA. And one has a choice where to buy and access to HOA rules, CCRs etc before buying. Spoke to a couple owners that had been on the board for many many years before making an offer to make sure it was run well without deficits and that folks were reasonable. Not one of those psycho ones you see in the news :) 

When I moved for a new job after 4 months of paperwork BS just to move in I was reading the fineprint and they had a 'No motorcycle clause' When I explained it was a dealbreaker and let them know if they dont allow my daily form of transportation (since I don't own a car) then we would back out immediately and demand all deposits returned for various reasons they changed their tune. I think they should have a no @**hole cagers clause instead.

• Thumbsup 4