Oregon Road Trip

NordyNordman

• Premium Member

The road from Antelope, OR to Fossil, OR is fantastic. It seems that is on your route but don't miss it if it isn't. It has almost 300 turns in about 25 miles or so. It is a fun ride.

I have ridden it just once, a year ago. I received a token of appreciation from the state police after I passed through Fossil, so I probably won't be back soon.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member

@NordyNordman  - do you have to go through Portland?   If not There are much more enjoyable areas to ride in Oregon. 

If you continue South down the coast to Waldport, you can take 34 inland to Alsea and then continue on 20 into Sisters and Bend or drop down to 242, between Belknap Springs and Sisters and ride McKenzie Pass!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, NordyNordman said:

@betoney Thanks for the tip! We don't have to go through Portland but we are time restricted. I'll see if we can push down South a little further!

Cheers

One other note on your route plan, Interstate 5 from the Canadian border down through Olympia can be absolute MISERY depending on the time of day and or day of the week. 

• Thumbsup 1

It is misery. Only use it when forced by fires etc. 

If that was where I was riding I'd book a couple nights at Edgefield in Troutdale, OR. One of my fav places. 

If you've never been to Mount St Helen's it's worth checking out. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, chitown said:

If you've never been to Mount St Helen's it's worth checking out. 

Absolutely beautiful ride, and the roads are in perfect condition on the West side of the mountain riding out of Toledo. 

I can neither confirm nor deny, but “I have heard it is possible” to ride most of Spirit Lake Highway at or near triple digit speeds through those long flowing sweepers.  Of course this is on a weekday morning with zero traffic. 😎

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, betoney said:

I can neither confirm nor deny, but “I have heard it is possible” to ride most of Spirit Lake Highway at or near triple digit speeds through those long flowing sweepers.

The engineer in me HATES unverified speculation.   You should test this hypothesis - preferably multiple times to verify consistent & repeatable results - then report back with your findings.  

'Cause, you know... science & stuff  :)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

The engineer in me HATES unverified speculation.   You should test this hypothesis - preferably multiple times to verify consistent & repeatable results - then report back with your findings.  

I second this notion. 

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I “might” already have some verified scientific findings...  I’ll just say - “gotta love sport tires...”. 😎

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

I’ll just say - “gotta love sport tires...”. 😎

Sticky biscuits... worth their weight in gold!  And for the record, I kept it under 100 last weekend...  😇

Sunday_Summary.thumb.png.d7aeb5caf7d5165e37008e3f26686575.png

@NordyNordman - Apologies for side-tracking your thread.  It looks like a great trip you have planned, so good luck & enjoy the ride! 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

@NordyNordman - It looks like you are headed to Hells Canyon, Highway 86 out of Baker City is AWESOME!  while you are in that area, if I can make a suggestion- instead of taking the interstate North, Highway 3 North out of Enterprise, Or. goes through Rattlesnake Grade, it is exactly what it sounds like, twisty road going up and down in elevation for miles. 👍

image.thumb.png.4010f8e1fc275a296bfc80c673d65354.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1