Fix that stupid windscreen adjuster

• Premium Member

I want to start by thanking whoever came up with this idea a couple of years ago. I can't remember who, and rather than search for an old thread I decided to start a new one.

If you have a '15-17 FJ-09/Tracer, you know the stock windscreen adjuster is junk. It's wobbly and doesn't stay tight. But it  can be replaced with a 100mm bicycle wheel skewer. If you don't have one collecting dust in the shed like I did, just go to the local bike shop and buy a cheap front wheel (100mm) skewer.

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. It took me five minutes and is 10x easier and more solid than the stock adjusters. No drilling required.

KIMG2379.JPG

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, keithu said:

If you have a '15-17 FJ-09/Tracer, you know the stock windscreen adjuster is junk. It's wobbly and doesn't stay tight. But it  can be replaced with a 100mm bicycle wheel skewer. If you don't have one collecting dust in the shed like I did, just go to the local bike shop and buy a cheap front wheel (100mm) skewer.

That is a great idea, I hadn't seen that mentioned before. 

I don't know the first thing about bicycle components, is 100mm a standard skewer width?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Yes, for bicycles with quick release skewers, 100mm is the standard front axle width. Rear axles usually vary between 130mm (road) and 135mm (mountain). The 100mm skewer is just right for the FJ-09 windscreen adjuster.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys.

Gee, haven't touched my mod for a while. I have changed screens a couple of times. Currently have a cut down stock screen and a beak, which I think helps with the buffeting. 

My only gripe now is head shake when accelerating over 140kph, for example when overtaking.

Here's an old post about the bicycle clips.

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/3440-windshield-flutter/?do=findComment&comment=39553

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I simply removed the stock adjusters and passed the skewer through the existing holes. The skewer shaft is just small enough to pass through without drilling or any other permanent mod. The skewer is certainly strong enough to hold the windshield in place by itself.

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, jeff_s said:

I like the idea.  Might pick up one of these to give it a try.  The stock tightening system really is bad.  I went with just bolts, but would like the tool-less adjustability back...

Replacing the bolts with a skewer will put a different kind of strain on the bracket welds. You'll be  squeezing the brackets toward the centre, rather than independently locking each side. Just a thought.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Thanks for the peer review Piotrek, that's a great point about straining the bracket. I checked it and indeed the skewer was flexing the bracket inwards in a way the stock adjusters wouldn't.

So here's Version 2. I added a couple of aluminum standoffs and washers to brace between the two sides of the bracket. I also added fender washers on each outside edge so the skewer has more purchase on the bracket.

The spacing for the standoffs and washers is 83mm (3.25").

KIMG2380.JPG

KIMG2381.JPG

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 4

• Premium Member

They're parts I just happened to have. They are aluminum and a quick measurement shows:

ID: 5mm (3/16")

OD: 10mm (3/8")

The 5mm ID is an almost perfect fit over the QR skewer shaft, but 6mm would be reasonably close. I wouldn't go much bigger though. The OD is probably less critical.

• Thumbsup 1