Fix that stupid windscreen adjuster

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Really brilliant!  Where did you buy the spacers??

A cut-to-size length of thin aluminium tube would suffice.

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

Thanks for resurrecting this @keithu  I just did this mod myself today, I will definitely need to paint it all satin black as the chrome is blinding in the sunshine.  I don't know how those Harley riders can stand the glare. 

$8 and a few minutes of time, sooo simple.

Skewer.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The original locking mechanisms just don't hold very well anymore and I have been using a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to tap them tight for over a year now.

Thanks @suncoaster for this handy tip and to @keithu for revisiting this topic.

So today I took a trip to the local bicycle shop - 20 minutes round trip

Drill 2x 4.8mm holes  - 10 minutes

Insert the skewer and tighten up - 2 minutes

Job finished in 32 minutes including the travel time to get the part........not bad & I did it myself :)

20190818_133905.jpg

20190818_133915.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member

My left side is the only one the vibrated loose over time. I put a dab of blue loctite on the threads a long time ago and no more problems. I’ve even repositioned the screen a couple of times and it still stays tight with the original loctite. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

My long time ago fix was removing the knobs and sandwiching in a fiber and rubber washer

But it's still a pain in the butt to adjust the screen not that I do it that often I thought going with the bicycle wheel skewer would make adjustment easier

I also have 60 durometer neoprene foam wrapped in Black rubber drawer liner folded and wedged in between the back of the OEM black plastic Shield piece and I guess the instruments to minimize the rocking forward and back of the whole assembly which I found universally on every fjo9 I checked I think they change the shield Arrangement and hopefully eliminated it on the newer mto9 tracers

20190819_151421.jpg

20190819_151411.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

this is what I ordered from Granger; the .214" ID will work but so may the .180" ID

I'll add SS 5 mm ID x 10 mm OD washers at each end.

These are the skewer I bought (will use shorter 100 mm), which has a SS rod and seems decently made Chinese: could have bought it in RED.  LOL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DBW8RXZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thumbsup 3

You guys and gel goddit all wrong.   Cease the 'fixes' - it's time for a new bike!😎

Edited by wordsmith
  • Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, wordsmith said:

You guys and gel goddit all wrong.   Cease the 'fixes' - it's time for a new bike!😎

3 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Blasphemy!

Let’s go Brandon

3 hours ago, bigorangecntry07 said:

I hear that one isn't a whole lot better, movement wise.

The main annoying issue I had with the Gen 1 screen was that the material seemed pretty flimsy, and the top of the screen oscillated back and forth at any decent speed.   Not so with the GT - at least in my experience.   The screen seems to be a little thicker, and while it is not totally movement-free it's certainly much better in this regard than the Gen 1 screens. But we may not be talking about the same issue, for the GT screen is adjusted up and down by a completely different and fairly substantial mechanism.

Edited by wordsmith

• Premium Member

The things y’all notice. I’ve honestly never paid attention to how much my screen moves. Maybe because I look over it and not through it?

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

The things y’all notice. I’ve honestly never paid attention to how much my screen moves. Maybe because I look over it and not through it?

I am 6’-1” and look over the screen as well. For the few days that I had the oem screen on my FJ, it had a definite flutter at highway speeds. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***