Fix that stupid windscreen adjuster

• Premium Member

In my previous post I included photos of how I keep the shield justment assembly from rocking forward and back with rubber covered foam to act as a wedge and damper. I run three Shields, a short black opaque bikini, a mid-height double bubble with adjustable top spoiler, and my barn door Givi tour with the mrw adjustable spoiler at the top. I can change them out within 15 minutes depending on weather and the length of a ride.

I obtained an aluminum tube as indicated in a previous post, cut it to length and super glued stainless washers at each end,and it was a snug fit between the adjuster plates. I then installed my new QD bicycle skewer and it seems great,77u thanks for the tip!i

20190830_150448.jpg

20190830_150250.jpg

20190830_144857.jpg

20190830_144828.jpg

20190830_144817.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Is there anything more poorly designed and badly executed on the Gen1 Tracers than this mechanism - unless the rubber 'bung' that hides the front seat release lock?   This carries through to the GT (and presumably Gen2 Tracers). 

'Pathetic' describes it well!   On my GT the rear overhanging bit of the seat overlaps the bung, making it near-impossible to remove to access the lock.   I thought of investing in some dynamite (but have instead consigned the bung to the scrap-heap).

P1050768.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
On 8/21/2019 at 11:55 AM, micah2074 said:

The things y’all notice. I’ve honestly never paid attention to how much my screen moves. Maybe because I look over it and not through it?

At 6'3" I look over any screen, even the large V-Stream touring screen I have. But with the larger screen any movement is amplified, plus it won't stay in the raised position when the stock adjusters don't stay tight.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

At 6'3" I look over any screen, even the large V-Stream touring screen I have. But with the larger screen any movement is amplified, plus it won't stay in the raised position when the stock adjusters don't stay tight.

A dab of blue locktite will fix those self loosening adjusters. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

Not really. Even fully cranked down they don't quite cinch the bracket solidly. At least, mine didn't.

It’s worked on mine. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

I had added plastic washers under the OEM shield knobs and that minimized them loosening but it was still a PITA to adjust.  So much so I rarely did so and the entire mechanism still rocked slightly fore-aft so I wedged in the rubber covered foam I mentioned and posted pics of previously.

But now with the bike QD skewer adjustment is relatively a breeze and the foam wedges are no longer are needed.

Do yourself a favor and do this mod, it's really easy.

When I run my Givi tour screen (the tallest of my 3 screens) with the bolt-on MRW adjustable spoiler and the adjuster topped out, I still look over the top and am only 6 foot. But I've been told I have the anatomy of an Orangutan, and have my custom Sargent saddle in the upper position.

20170326_184116.jpg

20170326_184020.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I know I'm VERY late to the party on this one but it's such a good, cheap and yet really simple idea that is so effective that I just had to post.

If like me and you've got an older machine, as @2and3cylinders says, do yourself a favour and buy a cheap bicyle QD skewer and consign those rediculous knobs to the bin where they belong!

Thanks to @keithu who started the thread for the idea in the first place (or at least the first place that I'd seen it).  This is why this forum is so great, there's plenty of good ideas and tips and tricks from so many that make the journey so much more enjoyable.

These were bought as a pair for ~AU$13

skewer1.thumb.jpg.4cbe736682fb4731b279680928f94994.jpg

To make a spacer, I cut down a piece of scrap tube that fitted over the welded on nuts for a perfect fit: -

skewer.thumb.jpg.4fd1c1401463c1fd958af8bfe3eafe33.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

That’s a good thread bump @dazzler24. I didn’t bother with the spacer and as long as you don’t tighten the skewers too much it seems to be working without them.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, BBB said:

That’s a good thread bump @dazzler24. I didn’t bother with the spacer and as long as you don’t tighten the skewers too much it seems to be working without them.

I does work, but I think the concern about adding stress to the bracket is valid. The spacer should helmet prevent stress fractures that might be induced by the tighter grip of the QR skewer. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...