make the display anti-glare

traceit

Sometimes with the sun in my back the display is glaring me and makes me blind/sightless for some moments. The first thing disturbing me on my first ride.

Any idea to make the display anti-glare (non-reflective)?

Does something like this

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Consumer/Office-School-Craft-Supplies/Computer-Workspace-Products/Privacy-and-Screen-Protectors/Clear/Anti-Glare-Screen-Protector?N=8703169+8711017&rt=r3

fit and resist to water, UV, heat etc.?

Rgds
AW

I haven't experienced the problem yet, but think a tinted smartphone glass protector available might solve the problem for cheap.  Bonus is that there's no adhesive on them - they peel right off.

Edit:  Yep, that screen flash is serious, with the sun behind you.  The static films are hard to see thru and came off in the wind. I'm trying a 2 7/8" x 6 3/4" piece of fine fiberglass screen from a screen door held in place with electrical tape. If the sun will come out and the rain will stop, I can tell you if it works.  

Edit 4/21: Got an e-mail from 3M.  Their gold or black privacy screens do not prevent the flash off the display.  However, the fine fiberglass mesh does break it up a bit, but makes the display a little tough to see unless you turn up the brightness on the menu.

2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• 1 month later...
Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Sometimes with the sun in my back the display is glaring me and makes me blind/sightless for some moments. The first thing disturbing me on my first ride. 
Any idea to make the display anti-glare (non-reflective)?

The 10 for <$2 a pack work perfectly!   Each piece is perfect in vertical [em]height[/em] but shorter than the [em]width[/em] of the display screen, easily fixed by cutting a second piece of film in half with scissors, for a very neat self-adhesive bubble-free fix!   Thanks to whoever suggested this fix!   And I've still got eight pieces left..! L of S 

• Premium Member
My first approach is going to be to add a shade. I had hoped to MacGuyver it using a piece of plastic from a take-out container, but it turns out to be a little too small (I guess I eat too little :-). A fresh piece of ABS should show up on Monday and I'll build the shade over the week and post pictures.

The GPS needs a shade much more badly than the instrument cluster, so I'll be doing that too.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
My first approach is going to be to add a shade. I had hoped to MacGuyver it using a piece of plastic from a take-out container, but it turns out to be a little too small (I guess I eat too little :-). A fresh piece of ABS should show up on Monday and I'll build the shade over the week and post pictures. 
The GPS needs a shade much more badly than the instrument cluster, so I'll be doing that too.
 I  bought THIS and cut it to the exact size of the display. Haven't had a chance to ride yet with it, but it looks (pun intended) promising. 

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I noticed this for the first time yesterday. I guess my Shoei GT Air sports a polarization filter because when I flipped the sun visor up/down much of the reflection disappeared making the display somewhat visible instead of seeing nothing.

So perhaps do a test with polarized sunglasses?

Archived