• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tracer 900 GT Mirrors

SC3896

Doesn’t the right hand nut have a line through it, to show that it is reversed thread?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I'm of the view that the GT ones are Loctited-in with a dose of double-distilled triple-filtered industrial-grade military-spec Kryptonium - maybe as a response to reports of them shifting while on the road.

That sounds like some pretty heavy duty stuff, maybe attempt to try a heat gun near the base?

I have only had the base of one come loose once, where mine usually lose their adjustment is the upper mirror itself.  When I get up to higher speeds the wind will make them fold in slightly so I am forever re-adjusting them.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I thought so!

The right hand mirror nut has a line through it to signify a reverse thread.

397F48CA-8F8F-41E1-82DB-20EFC6CB83EA.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

10 hours ago, StealthAu said:

Just checked. Definitely reverse thread. Clockwise to undo. 17mm spanner, tap the handle and loosened with ease.  

I stick to my guns!   12" drop-forged spanner with decent width jaws so as to minimise damage to the nut.   Nothing!   I realise that the tool itself is only half the solution, the other is the user, and I'd be the first to claim that a new-born babe has greater arm-strength than anorexic me, but even so...   I'm leaving well alone now!   At least the mirrors shouldn't fold on me!

P1050728.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Sad 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

It isn't a strength thing mate. 

Brute force rarely wins. Shock does. 

Always better off using a fixed spanner than an adjustable wrench. But either way, gently push in the direction it needs to go with one hand, tap the end of the wrench with the other. 

Also worth noting for those who might not know, when using an adjustable wrench, the adjustable part should be on the inside of the direction you are turning it. You want the fixed part of the wrench doing the bulk of the work. 

• Thumbsup 1

12 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

It isn't a strength thing mate. 

Brute force rarely wins. Shock does. 

Always better off using a fixed spanner than an adjustable wrench. But either way, gently push in the direction it needs to go with one hand, tap the end of the wrench with the other. 

Also worth noting for those who might not know, when using an adjustable wrench, the adjustable part should be on the inside of the direction you are turning it. You want the fixed part of the wrench doing the bulk of the work. 

I understand all of the above, thanks Stealth!   The reason for using the adj spanner is simply that the thickness of the jaws -  thicker than with the fixed spanner - is such that there's less likelihood of damaging the soft-as-cheese nut.   Anyway, after chafing over this for too long I had another go and lo! - the rhs nut shifted.   Must have been the three (3) Weetbix I had for breakfast!   Now I've had to tighten it up again as I want to get out on the road on this promised 25deg C day (77deg F), and I'll complete the task later today.   They do say that patience is a virtue... 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, StealthAu said:

Now I can return to my conundrum of the day. Going out for a ride, do I take the yamaha, ducati or honda. decisions decisions. 

Life is tough sometimes, isn't it?  😎

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Wrong item sent.   To be replaced.   At least I shifted the mirrors, and from a close squizz there doesn't seem to be any Loctite or such stuff on the threads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/16/2019 at 7:53 PM, wordsmith said:

Unless things have changed with the GT mirrors as opposed to the Gen1 Tracer mirrors - which seems highly unlikely - you leave the inset nut alone, and unscrew the stems from the black nut below, as highlighted in the first pic below.   That's what I'll be doing (based on identical previous installs) when my own mirror risers/ extenders arrive.   Loosen that nut and un-thread the stem vertically.

But be careful - one side mirror stem has reverse thread, but I cannot recall which one it is!   When you suss that out yourself, please post here...  LATER EDIT - many here including myself have also added small 2" diameter 'blind-spot' mirrors to further enhance rear visibility... second pic below.

P1050726.JPG

P1050506.JPG

Two things. One where can I get the plastic cap that sits on top of the mirror? Two, where did you get the blind spot mirrors?

4 hours ago, MartyP said:

Two things. One where can I get the plastic cap that sits on top of the mirror? Two, where did you get the blind spot mirrors?

Blind-spot mirrors can be bought on-line or from any decent auto accessories stores, usually coming in a pack of two at about (here in Oz) $8.