Open invite: trip to France, 20-28 June 2015

wessie

• Premium Member
I am part of a small group holiday to France. The trip is with some people I know from UKRM (uk.rec.motorcycles a usenet group I have been a member of since 1999). One rider is from Ireland, the rest from various parts of the UK. I have booked 6 rooms in mid-price hotels. 4 rooms are gone. The other 2 rooms were going to be taken by my Californian friend (who keeps a R1200GS in Germany but his house renovations are being delayed so he can't come) and a chap from near Mulhouse in France.

So 2 rooms to spare. Singles or doubles.

A thread with details of the trip including costs is here via google groups. We have a Facebook group used for messages and route discussions etc. 

Read the thread and if you are interested and on Facebook send me a link via PM and I will invite you to the group.

As far as organisation is concerned, I am booking hotel rooms only. These are made via booking.com with no deposit required. No cash changes hands, you will pay the hotel bill yourself on departure. Everyone travelling using a crossing of the English Channel has made their own arrangements. You will need to make your own insurance arrangements and ride your own bike. I will suggest routes but everyone will be expected to be familiar with the destination and be able to make their own way if needed.

This is not a guided tour but an opportunity to ride some good roads, see some great scenery, experience some French culture and make some new friends with a common interest in motorcycles. I will be by myself, there will be 2 couples and I'm not sure if the chap from Ireland is bringing his partner yet. Ages range from 52 to 65. Bikes are a Tracer, Z1000SX, BMW R1150RT and a 40 ton lump of pig iron from Milwaukee. 

Basic itinerary: catch Channel Tunnel after lunch on Sat 20 June, overnight in Arras, 21 June arrive Beaune in Burgundy for 3 nights, 24 June ride to Munster in Alsace for another 3 nights, final night in Reims in the Champagne region. Wine drinkers will note a theme. Due to being in situ for 3 nights I'm sure some people will be taking one or two days off the bikes to explore the local heritage and vinification. 

Everyone going so far speaks English as their first language so if you want to be sociable it would be a good idea to have conversational English but folks are welcome to join us from anywhere, even hiring a bike if you want. 

I would like to confirm the hotel reservations next month, soon after Easter as I do not like holding room bookings for too long - it's unfair on the hotel if you cancel at the last minute and they end up with an empty room. 

If you want to discuss this in real life then message me. We can chat over Facebook message, on the phone or maybe meet face to face. I have done loads of trips like this in the past, organised commercial tours or with a few friends off the internet. Sometimes I have not known anyone before the trip starts. It's quite a fun way to travel around Europe. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
plenty of places to hire a bike - I've stayed at the Enzian and Weisseespitze hotels in this group - both of them have fleets of BMWs you can hire. Just a few miles from Innsbruck which has an airport. The area is where you can ride in Italy, Austria, Germany, Liechtenstein & Switzerland all in the same morning. 

If my health is back next year I would be happy to arrange something with Klaus or Charlie at one of those hotels. Needs to be late June to mid September. Outside that period and you may find the higher passes closed. Quite a few are over 2000m or 6500 feet. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I hope they have tracers available to rent. Also a maybe next year if my wife is healed and able. Had to cancel the alps this September!!baldy_zps5mb6zyba.gif
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Wessie, this seems very good value and I like the idea of meeting others with not too much organisation. I need to check on some commitments which I'll do on Monday, but I am seriously interested. Was planning to do a trip on my own as I don't think I want to do the more organised group riding thing, but this seems a very good idea. And the group fits my age bracket.

• Premium Member
Would be good to have you aboard @johan - if you aren't doing anything on Easter Monday come to the H Cafe (see the sticky thread next to this post in the Euro section) and we can meet face to face to discuss the trip. You mention riding through London so I guess you aren't far away from Abingdon.

• Premium Member
Thanks Wessie, I'm in Kent. I might turn up for the Easter ride, although I don't really fancy going round the M25 in Bank Holiday traffic. Brings out all the motorists who don't commute and have no idea that a motorcycle might be filtering. If the weather is good...

• Premium Member
Thanks Wessie, I'm in Kent. I might turn up for the Easter ride, although I don't really fancy going round the M25 in Bank Holiday traffic. Brings out all the motorists who don't commute and have no idea that a motorcycle might be filtering. If the weather is good...
go into town and along the embankment then A40 to Oxford - should be fairly quiet on a BH Monday. 
Take a scenic route home across the South Downs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I'm pleased to say that after meeting him today at the H Café, @johan is joining me on this trip. One place left folks, single or double/twin.

Hi there! My boyfriend and I are leaving for Austria, Italy and France again this summer. We will start the trip from Gothenburg in the beginning of July and stay for two or maybe three weeks.
Maybe some one is interested in follow us, meet us up for a beer some were on the road at a nice MC-hotel? :)

Hi there! My boyfriend and I are leaving for Austria, Italy and France again this summer. We will start the trip from Goteborg in the beginning of July and stay for two or maybe three weeks. Maybe some one is interested in follow us, meet us up for a bear some were on the road at a nice MC-hotel? :)

Welcome to the forums and thanks for joining us! We have a ride report section here and would love for you to share your ride with us and we would all surely enjoy your pictures!

• Premium Member
Hi @affie. Welcome to the forum. Those on this trip will be back home when you set off. Most of us will be back at work in the 1st week of July :(

Have a good trip. Why not start another thread to see if anyone else is in Europe in July? There are a number of members in France, NL & Belgium who may like to meet up with you as you travel to/from Sweden (I'm assuming you will go over the bridge into Denmark).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived