NM on OEM GT shock spring?

Larz

Anyone know what the stock shock spring on a GT is rated at? Without the cat and sidecases mounted , my bike feels almost over sprung. Have the preload turned all the way down, waiting on my neighbor to help measure the rider sag, but doesn't seem like it's very much at all now.

Thanks for the response. A while back I messed around with all the settings front and rear- didn't have sag measurements, pretty clueless on suspension in general. Dialed down the pre-load when I started running the hills without the sidecases. Thinking doing it the right way this time- with sag measurements- would be helpful🤣

Anyways, apparently, stock spring rates on the GT shock are 9-10, at least according to a suspension outfit down there in OZ; although they list the same for a 2017 FZ-09. Hmm, thought the GT would have beefier spring than an FZ, but maybe that's about as light a rate as you can go?

I'm just about 75 kg geared up; about just right for the OEM suspension from what I read. Buckboardy is how it felt- but I had the damping turned up on both ends. Turned it down, it's better. Really want to blow some $$ on a new shock. Figure I should try adjusting the suspension first though 

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, Larz said:

I'm just about 75 kg geared up; about just right for the OEM suspension from what I read. Buckboardy is how it felt- but I had the damping turned up on both ends. Turned it down, it's better. Really want to blow some $$ on a new shock. Figure I should try adjusting the suspension first though 

Larz, when you say "buckboardy" is that harsh or bouncy?  If it feels bouncy then you have minimal rebound damping dialed in and are mostly feeling the spring. 

Like @StealthAu suggested, try dialing in more rebound damping to slow the bounce, Left-Loose, Right-Tight.  Try 2 clicks at a time until it starts getting in the ballpark and then 1 click at a time to fine tune.

Get your sag set correctly first and then start adjusting damping at both ends.

In my experience, the shock needs more attention than the forks, since the oem shock has no compression adjustment, you can only do so much to get it set correctly. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@betoneyNaw, it was harsh. Yeah it seems like a waste until the sag is set right. The little bit I've messed with it, get it firm enough so the bike doesn't pogo under hard braking or accel, then it's harsh. Like Stealth says, at my weight, should be able to get it setup correctly,eh 

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

In my experience, the shock needs more attention than the forks, since the oem shock has no compression adjustment, you can only do so much to get it set correctly. 

While probably applicable for Larz, this varies depending on weight. For myself at 100kg, the forks couldn't do their job stock. Preload at max and compression damping dialed in to the point that the ride sucked, I was still bottoming out the forks regularly. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, StealthAu said:

While probably applicable for Larz, this varies depending on weight. For myself at 100kg, the forks couldn't do their job stock. Preload at max and compression damping dialed in to the point that the ride sucked, I was still bottoming out the forks regularly. 

Very true.  I figured that since the GT has 2 active legs as well as compression adjustment, it "should" be much easier than the older FJ to get a reasonably acceptable ride - with proper springs.  $100 for springs and a bottle of oil will get you close, the same cant be said for the stock shock.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 minute ago, betoney said:

Very true.  I figured that since the GT has 2 active legs as well as compression adjustment, it "should" be much easier than the older FJ to get a reasonably acceptable ride - with proper springs.  $100 for springs and a bottle of oil will get you close, the same cant be said for the stock shock.

Surprisingly, the valving in the shock seems adequate for a 10.5kg/mm spring. 

I'm only a couple clicks out on rebound, without a doubt the service life of the shock oil is going to be limited, but it should be good for long enough to find a cheap stock shock to revalve.

• Thumbsup 1

What about changing the ride height with the stock shock? One of the things I considered with like a k-tech razor was being to adjust the ride to match a change with the fork height; I'd give up a bit of lean angle to get my feet a little closer to the ground at a stop when she's loaded with luggage...

You can get lowering links, they would work with the stock, or any shock.

Don't let any of this talk you out of getting a new shock though. There are plenty of options out there that would be better than stock.

It is just sounding like yours is not ideally setup. If you're not completely eager on spending some money, setup what you have first. 

I'd be hesitant to consider lowering the tracer. The ground clearance is ordinary to begin with. 

• Thumbsup 1