FJR-09

keithu

• Premium Member

This thread will chronicle my project to turn my 2015 FJ-09 into the ultimate long distance riding machine. I am preparing to ride Butt Lite X, the 10th and final running of this six day endurance rally that is like a shorter version of the 11-day Iron Butt Rally. An endurance rally is sort of a scavenger hunt, where riders will probably cover about 1000 miles per day for six straight days riding to places that will only be revealed in the hours before we start. Butt Lite X will take place in early July 2020, with the start/finish in Kansas City and a Midway checkpoint in South Dakota.

I agonized over what to name this thread. My first choice was "FJ-09 LD" as in "Long Distance" but it just didn't have the same ring as "FJR-09." The FJR-1300 has become a ride of choice for serious LD-rally competitors, including 2019 Iron Butt Rally winner Wendy Crockett. I can't afford to buy an FJR-1300 right now, so I need to transform my FJ-09 into a great LD bike.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I've already done a few things to make my FJ into a better touring bike, including:

* Hepco-Becker hard saddlebags

* National Cycle V-Stream touring windscreen

* Warm-n-Safe Heattroller for a heated jacket

* Yamaha OEM heated grips

* Mr Ed's Moto custom saddle

To do list:

* Cruise control

* Auxillary lights

* GPS

* Auxillary fuel

* Hydration system

KIMG2402.JPG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm going to be adding a few electrical accessories, so I picked up a Fuzeblocks PDU so I don't have 6-7 wires coming off the battery. This unit is powered by 12AWG wires from the battery, plus a switched feed from one of the accessory leads under the windscreen. So far I've connected my jacket Heattroller and GPS to the unit. The Fuzeblocks unit allows me to select whether accessories are switched with the ignition or always on. I expect most accessories will be switched.

I cut out a plastic divider and installed the unit with velcro under the seat mount bracket. In my day job I work on PLCs/industrial controls, so I can't stand sloppy wiring. I bought a cheap ferrule crimper off Amazon to help with clean terminal connections.

Damn, my under seat area is dirty.

KIMG2391.JPG

KIMG2394.JPG

KIMG2392.JPG

KIMG2393.JPG

KIMG2395.JPG

• Premium Member

I purchased a Garmin 396LMT-S. It's powered with ignition via the Fuzeblock, and I mounted it using the included handlebar bracket and one of the headlight adjuster mounts. I don't think it's supposed to be mounted this way, but it works.

KIMG2400.JPG

KIMG2396.JPG

KIMG2397.JPG

• Premium Member

The next project will be auxillary lights. I got a pair of these nearly-new PIAA LP550s off Craigslist for $50 ($300+ new). They're pretty large and I'm not sure yet where I will mount them. Lily is skeptical.

KIMG2406.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, keithu said:

I purchased a Garmin 396LMT-S. It's powered with ignition via the Fuzeblock, and I mounted it using the included handlebar bracket and one of the headlight adjuster mounts. I don't think it's supposed to be mounted this way, but it works.

KIMG2400.JPG

KIMG2396.JPG

KIMG2397.JPG

I like what you did with the GPS, I have been playing around with different mount brackets to try and mount mine like that but the RAM arm mount bracket is too long and I cant get it close to the windscreen like yours.  When it sticks out further it shakes pretty bad, so I leave mine mounted on the handlebar.  After seeing yours I might revisit my bracket idea.

Edited by betoney

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I think my simple GPS mount works because I have the V-Stream windscreen. This includes a metal bracket that creates some extra space under the windscreen. Without that bracket I don't think the handlebar Ram bracket would fit.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Also, a stroke of luck: the bolt diameter and thread pitch of the Yamaha windscreen mount is exactly the same as the bolts that came with the Garmin handlebar mount. So I didn't even have to find additional hardware to make it work.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
20 hours ago, keithu said:

The next project will be auxillary lights. I got a pair of these nearly-new PIAA LP530s off Craigslist for $50 ($300+ new). They're pretty large and I'm not sure yet where I will mount them. Lily is skeptical.

KIMG2406.JPG

AdventureTech bracket will work great for these lamps. Give Lily a scratch behind the ear for me... love dogs.

AdventureTech

@keithu...on second thought, these lamps may be too large/heavy for the bracket. I use them with the smaller 2" lamps. Noticed you have have the Givi bars... maybe somewhere on there would be safer. 🤔

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, stumpy said:

if you have a set of Givi crash bars on your bike, I would be sure to add a set of highway pegs on them.  I am amazed at how much longer i can ride with them and my terry adcox seat.

I absolutely agree, I have bad knees and being able to move my legs to different positions is priceless.  I use my frame sliders to rest my feet or the back of my ankles on.

Slider 2.jpg

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 4:05 PM, keithu said:

* Mr Ed's Moto custom saddle

KIMG2402.JPG

Tell me about the Saddle. I live in Eugene and loathe the idea of spending $500 on a seat mod, but can't handle the stock seat much more. I'm just pissed it costs so much to modify a small saddle like ours. So is it really worth it? 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2linby said:

Tell me about the Saddle. I live in Eugene and loathe the idea of spending $500 on a seat mod, but can't handle the stock seat much more. I'm just pissed it costs so much to modify a small saddle like ours. So is it really worth it? 

@2linby - My buddy lives in Bend, Or and has a Mr. Eds custom seat just like pictured above. 

We just got back from a 4,100 mile road trip, most days averaged 450 miles with a few being slightly over 500 miles.  We were on the road each morning around 7:30 and rode until dinnertime, for 10 days straight.   I have a custom seat from a different shop and neither of us had to take excessive breaks  during the day, infact after 10 days in the saddle, my butt was the one thing that didn't ache, unlike my back, shoulders and knees.  IMHO, a custom seat is some of the best money I have spent on my bike, second only to custom suspension. 

I would much rather spend the money for a custom seat, measured, shaped and built specifically for me than a generic off the shelf Sargent or Corbin seat. 

• Thumbsup 1