FJR-09

keithu

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, 2linby said:

Tell me about the Saddle. I live in Eugene and loathe the idea of spending $500 on a seat mod, but can't handle the stock seat much more. I'm just pissed it costs so much to modify a small saddle like ours. So is it really worth it? 

Without question it's the best $500 I've ever spent on a motorcycle mod. With this saddle it's quite easy to ride through a full gas tank without any breaks. I've done many 500-700 mile days, and one 1000+ mile day and the only thing that bugs me is my throttle hand (hence my plan to get cruise control). 

It is a lot of money but the seat is truly customized to your fit. You will spend a couple of hours in the shop while they build the seat, you test-sit and give feedback, they re-shape it, etc. You'll take a test ride near the end before the final covering. It's a tailored suit for your butt.

Tip: If your motorcycle sits outside in the rain, ask Don to add a waterproof liner under the seat cover. Mine sits outside in Corvallis all day when I'm at work, January-December. Rain will eventually seep through the seams and moisten the cushion.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Way off topic here, but is that a YZF750 lurking in the background?  

I have a bit of history with those bikes... 

Nice pic! Yes, that is a YZF750. I recently picked it up from a friend who passed away. It needs a lot of work, but that project will have to wait until after the FJ build. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

Current project state is: In pieces. I hit 26k on the odometer so the FJ is torn apart for:

* Valve adjustment (all exhaust valves are tight, all intakes are good)

* Throttle body sync

* Sparkplugs

* Air filter

* Clutch cable

* Coolant flush

This also gives me a chance to clean up some wire routing for farkles.

KIMG2467.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I just completed one of the most critical upgrades for this project: Cruise control. 

I installed the MCCruise system from Australia. As others have reported, the installation is complex and took me about four hours and ones of beers to complete. Thankfully, the installation instructions from MCCruise are outstanding. Clearly written steps, photos for each step, no errors or guesswork. I work on multi-million dollar industrial printers and we can only dream of having documentation this good. It is a little scary to rewire things on the OEM Yamaha loom, but if you can use basic hand tools and follow instructions carefully it can be done. 

The computer installs under the pillion seat. I would have liked to put it somewhere else, but every aspect of the install (including cable routing) is designed to minimize RF interference for safety and proper cruise control function. I went with the basic MCCruise controller; I could have gone with Yamaha Super Tenere or FJR1300 switch gear for a factory appearance, but that would have added about $350 to this project and it didn't seem worthwhile to me. The MCCruise control pod works fine. 

My wife was in Coos Bay for the weekend vising family, so I rode down there Sunday to join them for sushi and test out the cruise control. Simply put, it works flawlessly. I did a 300 mile loop down to Coos Bay via OR-99/36/126/US-101, then returned home up the coast via US-101 and OR-34. I found that the MCCruise control pod slightly blocked access to the menu toggle switch, making it difficult to adjust my heated grips. I later rotated the clutch lever perch aft a little bit, and that fixed toggle access. 

I've had some issues with cramping in my throttle hand during long rides, and as expected the cruise control addresses this. But I had another, arguably more important revelation while using the cruise: it made me realize how much attention I pay to the speedometer. I'm constantly checking the speedo to make sure I'm not risking a performance award. But with the cruise control set to a safe speed, my eyes and brain were freed to focus on more important things like traffic, the road, and scenery. This is a safety benefit of cruise control that I hadn't considered before.  

DSCF8224.jpg

DSCF8187.JPG

DSCF8248.JPG

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

@keithu - Its one of those "now that I have it, I cant imagine living without it" features. 

With the recent EICMA new bike reveals, there was talk of one of the most requested features being cruise control and more and more models having it as a standard feature now.  Now that I have it installed, I use it all of the time.  👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Also consider rubber covered foot pegs and Grip Puppies, a Lubeman chain oiler ($28 vs minimum $115 for other automatic oilers, I can send you pics of my install)

A shield spoiler and side and rear auxiliary lights are a big plus.  A balaclava helps with helmet noise  + ear plugs and can be soaked with water in hot weather. I wear a fancy pack type Camel Back.  I have the Scala PackTalk.  Lots of other tips...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I do plan to upgrade the footpegs. I had a bad experience with Loobman on my last bike, however, so if I do anything for the chain it will probably be a ScottOiler or similar.

A hydration solution is also planned. The MotoJug looks good.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, keithu said:

I do plan to upgrade the footpegs. I had a bad experience with Loobman on my last bike, however, so if I do anything for the chain it will probably be a ScottOiler or similar.

A hydration solution is also planned. The MotoJug looks good.

What issue did you have with the Lubeman, was it the new version?  What oil did you use and was that part of the problem?

I use a blend of chain saw blade line and Marvel Mystery Oil.

Mine has the forked lube head (which I may angle down a bit more) but seems to be functioning OK

Oh, Danny pack not fancy...

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

What issue did you have with the Lubeman, was it the new version?  What oil did you use and was that part of the problem?

I used 85w-90 gear oil. The issue was that when I rode up into higher elevations (sea level to 5000+ feet) the lower air pressure caused the reservoir to pump too much oil out, so much that it lubed the chain, chain guard, swingarm, and tire.

After about the third time it oiled my tire I ripped all the Loobman gear off the bike and threw it straight in the trash. Possibly the worst motorcycle accessory I've ever used.

• Premium Member
On 11/26/2019 at 9:16 PM, keithu said:

I used 85w-90 gear oil. The issue was that when I rode up into higher elevations (sea level to 5000+ feet) the lower air pressure caused the reservoir to pump too much oil out, so much that it lubed the chain, chain guard, swingarm, and tire.

After about the third time it oiled my tire I ripped all the Loobman gear off the bike and threw it straight in the trash. Possibly the worst motorcycle accessory I've ever used.

I live at 630 or so feet ASL so not an issue for me but a little clamp on the feed line would have solve your problem, something like on an IV bag.  Now obviously something like the Scott Oiler may work for higher elevations for 6 times the $.  I've used a SO decades but the needle valve does wear out...