FJR-09

keithu

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, BBB said:

Warmer fuel due to removing that tiny bit of foam over the smallest section of the tank? I’m not sure there will be a significant change in the insulation effect from the engine.

The stoichiometric mix of air/fuel is around 14:1 so any tiny changes in density of the fuel are outweighed by the air volume. And by the way, octane density only drops 8% from 20 celcius to 80 C, so that’s a 0.5% change when mixed with air at that ratio.

I'm almost convinced to remove the foam. What about water intrusion? I don't want my airbox to fill up with water when I ride through a downpour. The front of the tank seems reasonably shielded from rain, but it's something to consider. Yamaha put the foam there for a reason, I just want to be sure it wasn't a good one.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, angusmcoz said:

Just curious, does that fuel cell have internal baffles to prevent the fuel sloshing side to side?

Yes, it has anti-slosh foam. RCI (maker of the fuel cell) claims the foam is E10-compatible, but they also recommend replacing it yearly. I'm putting a good fuel filter on the line coming from the cell, and after it's a year old I'll take the foam out and see if it's really needed.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, keithu said:

I'm almost convinced to remove the foam. What about water intrusion? I don't want my airbox to fill up with water when I ride through a downpour. The front of the tank seems reasonably shielded from rain, but it's something to consider. Yamaha put the foam there for a reason, I just want to be sure it wasn't a good one.

As far as I can tell, the foam is for noise abatement as you do get more induction noise, but the change is minimal. 

If you look at the airbox, the air intake is at the top of the box, i.e. not directly in the direction of any rain that may get under the tank. The intake is then via a “snorkel” that is vertical, so any rain will go straight down. The snorkel ends at the bottom of the air filter and there is a drain hole in the base for any water that may have made it that far. It’s quite a contorted air path.

I modified mine some time ago, remove that strip of foam and chopped the snorkel down in length. I also get caught in UK rain pretty regularly, but not tropical storms and have not had any issues. I think it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll experience hydraulic lock.

I only mentioned it as it was recommended when ECU flashing. If you’re worried at all then leave it in place for peace of mind.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, keithu said:

Noise, yes that makes sense. Is it a lot more noise with the foam removed, or just a bit of extra intake howl? 

Tiny increase in induction howl apparently. I think @norcal616 has noticed it. For me it is more than drowned out by my exhaust and I have a K&N air filter so I don’t have a comparable baseline. It’s certainly not a noise issue.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, keithu said:

Noise, yes that makes sense. Is it a lot more noise with the foam removed, or just a bit of extra intake howl? 

Nothing massive but it is noticeable.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
On 1/29/2020 at 12:19 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

And I have the Givi Tour barn door screen, WITH a spoiler at its top!  So I AM worried about the upper bracket!  I have braced the screen frame with high durometer foam pads on each side reacting off the back of the instrument module but am I just transferring the load?  I also did the bicycle AS axle through mod for the screen adjuster bolts, which should help some...

You guys just kill me! You ought to at least try a Madstad screen. I am 6'4" with a 32" inseam and on a Corbin saddle, which is taller than stock. None of that add on spoiler crap that looks like the afterthought it is. NO buffeting, even up to ridiculous speeds, and a nice bit of wind protection. And it doesn't look like a barn door. I ride the 22" dark tint model, for the past 4 years, and I've never looked back. Check out the reviews on the forum.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, peporter said:

You guys just kill me! You ought to at least try a Madstad screen. I am 6'4" with a 32" inseam and on a Corbin saddle, which is taller than stock. None of that add on spoiler crap that looks like the afterthought it is. NO buffeting, even up to ridiculous speeds, and a nice bit of wind protection. And it doesn't look like a barn door. I ride the 22" dark tint model, for the past 4 years, and I've never looked back. Check out the reviews on the forum.

Screens will probably be THE most subjective accessory you can add to your bike, - what you love, others might hate due to any number of variables.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

Screens will probably be THE most subjective accessory you can add to your bike, - what you love, others might hate due to any number of variables.

Yep, I agree, but it wouldn't be right to remain silent when a solution is at hand. It's been a while since I did business with them, but I recall them having a return policy-try it, if you don't like it, send it back. If you wanted to ride some distance behind something that (IMHO) looks good is super adjustable, and works, the Madstad is worth a try.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Nice engineering and execution.  My Shad SH46, mounting plate and rack are lighter than your estimate though they are more rearward and higher but I never have a passenger and am very used to a loaded top box.  When I run my Shad SH36 panniers I only notice them when trying to get n and off the bike but I don't ride too hard when fully loaded but my .95 straight rate fork springs and revised damping, and the K-Tech Razor R shock surely help here.

Years ago I built an enlarged spare fuel tank for my VTR but my prostate issues got so bad by the time I finished it, I only test rode it once.  So I rarely can use the range my FJ's stock tank offers before needing to make my own pit stop!  Not LOL...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

The cell is mounted up and tested, and the gravity feed works! The first flow test was a failure, but I discovered the hose was kinking just before the bulkhead fitting. I reconfigured the plumbing a bit and now it works. There is not much extra space under the tank for something like this.

The other problem I had is that the passenger seat didn't fit between the fuel cell frame supports. I rode over to Mr. Ed's Moto (less than a mile from my house). It took him about ten minutes to modify the seat base and re-attach the stock foam and cover.

Still on the to do list:

* Clean up vent line routing

* Paint the aluminum brackets and straps that secure the fuel cell to the frame

IMG_20200320_150247_1.jpg

IMG_20200320_150346_4.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

Still on the to do list:

* Clean up vent line routing

* Paint the aluminum brackets and straps that secure the fuel cell to the frame

Nice job, looks good... for a huge fuel cell on the back of your bike.  😎 

For added safety, maybe use some 3M Scotchlite reflective tape on the brackets instead of paint?  Though I doubt anyone will miss the safety orange.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, betoney said:

Nice job, looks good... for a huge fuel cell on the back of your bike.  😎 

For added safety, maybe use some 3M Scotchlite reflective tape on the brackets instead of paint?  Though I doubt anyone will miss the safety orange.

I definitely need to paint the brackets, for corrosion resistance if nothing else. Contrary to popular belief, aluminum does corrode.

But yes, the reflective tape is a good idea. I have a big roll of white reflective tape I used on my TT600 fuel cell, but I think it's better to have red on the rear of the vehicle.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I went on a 263 test ride today, a simple loop out to the Oregon coast via OR-34 to Waldport, down US-101 to Reedsport, OR-38 back inland, then up I-5 to home. Observations:

* The aux cell is not four gallons. I was barely able to squeeze in three gallons at the gas station. I don't know for certain that the cell was empty, and I'm sure the anti-slosh foam displaces some capacity. Still, I need to investigate this.

* Fuel feed is inconsistent. I think I rode for 40 miles with only two bars on the fuel gauge, and then inexplicably it went back up to three and then four bars.

* After 263.7 miles at 46mpg, I have three bars on the fuel gauge. My hope of having a 350+ mile range is questionable.

* I'm obviously elk hunting in the wrong area.

2020_0321_11370700.jpg

2020_0321_12383000.jpg

2020_0321_12364700.jpg

2020_0321_12394300.jpg

2020_0321_14450600.jpg

• Thumbsup 1