A tyre thread...?

Amazing!

No tyre thread on this forum! 😆😉

Previous owner had just fitted Dumlop Qualifiers, which I remember as the OEM fitment on my old Street Triple some years back. Very nice tyres actually, but they are only single compound and wear moderately fast.

Are people mostly going for sport/touring rubber...?

Sport touring tires are a good match for this bike and will provide plenty of dry grip for spirited cornering, while outperforming super sport rubber in the wet.  Any ST tire from one of the major brands will do the job very well.  So far my personal favorite is the Roadsmart 3 from Dunlop.  They seem to be designed just a bit more on the sport side of the sport touring equation.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, v1nn1e said:

Amazing!

No tyre thread on this forum! 😆😉

Are people mostly going for sport/touring rubber...?

I have used about a 50/50 mix of Sport and Sport Touring tires.  I have used several sets of Pirelli Angel GT's with great results (average about 9,000 miles per set) and have worn out 3 sets of Bridgestone S21 sport tires (average 5,500-6,000 miles per set). LOVE these tires!  I normally use these for riding twisties in the mountains and canyons but have also used them on several week-long road trips.

I am leaving on a 10 day trip in a few days so am trying a set of Bridgestone T31 S/T tires, getting installed tomorrow but also have a set of the new S22 sport tires waiting on the shelf.  Bridgestone offers $50-$60 rebates a few times a year so I stock up, after the rebate I can usually get a set for around $170 a set. 

According to Bridgestone, the T31 is "supposed" to perform like the S21/22 with a harder center strip for longer wear and some extra rain channels.  I'll have 10 days of riding to give it a workout, if it performs as good as the S21 sport tire then I will be very pleased.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I am just finishing up on a set of Bridgestone T31's. Installed them in June and have been enjoying them in SW Wisconsin and SW South Dakota. These are wearing well. I should get somewhere around 3500 - 3800 miles out of this set. They stick well, track beautifully and are wearing evenly with no feathering.  The only tire I have tried that got better mileage was a rear Dunlop Road II on my Versys 1000 that lasted around 45000 miles.

I have a set of S22's in reserve when these finally give up the ghost. We'll see how well these work. As stated above both of these were bought using the Bridgestone rebates for less than $200 a set.

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, mike said:

I am just finishing up on a set of Bridgestone T31's. Installed them in June and have been enjoying them in SW Wisconsin and SW South Dakota. These are wearing well. I should get somewhere around 3500 - 3800 miles out of this set. They stick well, track beautifully and are wearing evenly with no feathering.  The only tire I have tried that got better mileage was a rear Dunlop Road II on my Versys 1000 that lasted around 45000 miles.

I have a set of S22's in reserve when these finally give up the ghost. We'll see how well these work. As stated above both of these were bought using the Bridgestone rebates for less than $200 a set.

Its my first time using the T31's, glad to hear that they perform well for you but man that is terrible mileage out of a sport touring tire.   

Considering the mileage I average on the S21's, I should easily get 8k out of the T31. 

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Its my first time using the T31's, glad to hear that they perform well for you but man that is terrible mileage out of a sport touring tire.   

Considering the mileage I average on the S21's, I should easily get 8k out of the T31. 

I’d have to check my records, but I think my rear T31 has about 7k and is just starting to square off. They’re good tires, and great in standing (or running) water, but it’s definitely no sport tire. 

• Thanks 1

I have no idea how you folks get that kind of mileage out of a set of tires.

I don't commute on the bike. I am an old dude who loves to ride the twisties. I am no Ricky  Racer but I do scrub the tires within 1/4 inch of the sidewall edge. The rear is not squared off due to heavy acceleration but shows a smooth transition from the center to the sidewall.  The front tire is also getting close to the wear bars at 3,000 miles. I am a little heavier than most of you at 260 lbs which may cause some additional wear.

The best mileage on a rear tire was 4,500, or so, miles on a Dunlop Roadsmart II that I babied to extend the millage. I have run Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop and Bridgestone Sport touring tires. The bikes were a Triumph Tiger 1050, Versys 1000 and the GT so all had decent power and were ridden spiritedly. 

I know a few of you are able to stretch the life of these tires. I just don't have any idea how you are able to do it. 

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, mike said:

I have no idea how you folks get that kind of mileage out of a set of tires.

I don't commute on the bike. I am an old dude who loves to ride the twisties. I am no Ricky  Racer but I do scrub the tires within 1/4 inch of the sidewall edge. The rear is not squared off due to heavy acceleration but shows a smooth transition from the center to the sidewall.  The front tire is also getting close to the wear bars at 3,000 miles. I am a little heavier than most of you at 260 lbs which may cause some additional wear.

The best mileage on a rear tire was 4,500, or so, miles on a Dunlop Roadsmart II that I babied to extend the millage. I have run Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop and Bridgestone Sport touring tires. The bikes were a Triumph Tiger 1050, Versys 1000 and the GT so all had decent power and were ridden spiritedly. 

I know a few of you are able to stretch the life of these tires. I just don't have any idea how you are able to do it. 

I like to ride aggressively in the twisties and a fair amount of highway mileage but don't ride the track, even on a road trip I try to seek out the twisty roads and mountain highways.

This is my S21 with over 5,000 miles on it.

IMG_0788S21 side.jpg

I can get MORE miles out of twisties than commuting, and its the touring that really kills my tires. Two up with luggage in a straight lines squares off the rubber fast. But I pretty much always have my pressure at 32/36 psi, and reliability get 8-10k out of a rear and 15-17k out of a front, doesn’t seem to matter what tire. 

It must be the way I ride. My technic must be bad. I would love to be able to get more miles. I run 36/42 psi. Maybe the pressure is too high?

wear bar at 3000 miles.jpg

Nah. 5k is all I get out of touring rears if I'm doing my usual thing. I can nearly double that by riding only interstate, 55 mph, short shifting, avoiding acceleration and braking.

In both cases wear accelerates when I run it less than 42.

It is ridiculous what we have to pay for a set of motorcycle tires.  On the other hand, modern sport and sport touring rubber has made tremendous strides in performance in the last ten to twelve years.  I remember when first the Michelin Pilot Power tires hit the market and they were a bit of a game changer at that time.  

Count me in as another who is amazed at the mileage some riders manage to get from a set of sport touring tires.  So far the best I have been able to do is around 5000 miles from a rear tire on ST rubber and about 1800 from sport rubber.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.