1st Service Costs.

Hi Folks.

I just phoned a dealer to find out 600 mile service costs, It appears that Yamaha have started charging full price on 2015 models.. ???

I was expecting just parts about £75.  not £175.

Now I must be my age but FFS its only an oil and filter and check over.!

Was wondering if its the same in USA and Europe.

But If you check your Warranty book states only parts at 1st service, Is it worth a letter to Yamaha HQ.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dealer gave me a form to sign to say that I was aware that Yamaha had stopped their free service for bikes bought after the end of January. I was told that the dealer would charge £60 for the labour plus the parts.
I've no idea how much the total bill would have been from them, my 600 mile service was done in The Netherlands - not trying to make it any worse the labour and parts came to £70 ( a lot more in €'s).

Not everyone is being hit with the labour charges and it seems to be at the dealer's discretion as to what they charge.

From what I understand, there is nothing that is preventing you from having anyone else do it, including yourself. You just need to keep records that you did it for warranty purposes. It would be nice to see what others are paying for service costs though. Maybe this could be similar to the lowest OTD thread...

I may be wrong, but for warranty purposes in the UK any VAT registered garage can stamp the book - not sure how we stand if we have receipts for the consumables and record the mileage they were fitted.

• Premium Member
Seems the memo from Yamaha has not reached Cheltenham. My service labour cost was included in the purchase price. I paid £42.73 last Saturday. Oil filter is about £12, 3 litres of oil at least £25 at their stupid price and a few quid for a sump washer and the inevitable sundries.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
I got a nice little letter in the mail from Yamaha within a week after I purchased my Tracer. It was a coupon for a free first service, which I have already done.

Well, here in the US, at least in Atlanta, at Mountain Motorsports (where I bought mine) they wanted $450.00. The thing with them though is that they try to sell you a "Maintenance Plan" that would supposedly save you 60% on the regular service, but in reality, what I think they do is charge the "fair" price on the plan they sell, and markup the price for whoever did not want to get their plan, so that they could claim the 60% in savings.

I have not checked other dealers, after seeing that price, it just helped convince me to do it myself, which I did, and it cost $35.00 for 3 qt of Full Synthetic oil, $17 and change for the OEM oil filter and less then $2 for the crush washer. Plus I did all the checks on my bike, which are explained in the Owners Manual, so I know for sure, that everything was checked, which is not always the case with dealers...

Also, the experience of servicing my own bike was great, and I plan on keep doing it, at least for the stuff that does not require special equipment.

... nice little letter in the mail from Yamaha ...
That's good of them, pleased they have paid for the first service for you, no such love for me - I am still waiting for them to send me my Euro Warranty card as well as the paperwork for Yamaha Assist. You've got to love consistency!! 

If you did everything that the manuel says to do how did you do the fuel injection on adjusting the synchronization? Only reason I ask is I do all my own maintance and have no way of knowing how to do this step. Please tell.
Thanks

Well, here in the US, at least in Atlanta, at Mountain Motorsports (where I bought mine) they wanted $450.00. The thing with them though is that they try to sell you a "Maintenance Plan" that would supposedly save you 60% on the regular service, but in reality, what I think they do is charge the "fair" price on the plan they sell, and markup the price for whoever did not want to get their plan, so that they could claim the 60% in savings. 
I have not checked other dealers, after seeing that price, it just helped convince me to do it myself, which I did, and it cost $35.00 for 3 qt of Full Synthetic oil, $17 and change for the OEM oil filter and less then $2 for the crush washer. Plus I did all the checks on my bike, which are explained in the Owners Manual, so I know for sure, that everything was checked, which is not always the case with dealers...

Also, the experience of servicing my own bike was great, and I plan on keep doing it, at least for the stuff that does not require special equipment.

I will do my FJ just as I did my FZ, change the oil and filter, adjust the chain, check tires, and check for any loose bolts. Not much more is needed unless the bike is having some issue.  But to add to that I will be putting on the APE Cam Chain Tensioner and different drain plug (magnetic with flat head).

If you did everything that the manuel says to do how did you do the fuel injection on adjusting the synchronization? Only reason I ask is I do all my own maintance and have no way of knowing how to do this step. Please tell.
Thanks

Adjusting the Fuel injection synchronization DOES require special tools and the knowledge to do it properly.
This is covered in the service manual.

-skip

Could you provied the page number in the service manual where one would find fuel injection synchronization?

I have the service manual and for the life of me I just can find it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Adjusting the Fuel injection synchronization DOES require special tools and the knowledge to do it properly.
This is covered in the service manual.

-skip

• Premium Member
... nice little letter in the mail from Yamaha ...
That's good of them, pleased they have paid for the first service for you, no such love for me - I am still waiting for them to send me my Euro Warranty card as well as the paperwork for Yamaha Assist. You've got to love consistency!!
Again as with most things, @steve, I think this is down to the dealer. My RAC breakdown handbook and cards and warranty card came within 10 days of riding away. This needs your dealer to put your details into the Yamaha computer system 
On my Super Tenere, the details were not logged onto the Yamaha system until it was over 3 years old as the original dealer and 2 subsequent dealers that serviced it never bothered. Nick at my current dealer got it all sorted including noticing the Super Ten needed a harness changed under a recall notice. With my Tracer, he had the paperwork all done with copies provided to me the same day as I rode away. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived