1st Service Costs.

I have the Datatag badge,  no gloop for me but an email with the certification PDF docs within minutes of the salesman capturing the info -possibly because I elected for the electronic format, was given a choice. What has taken time is the docs from 'Yamaha Europe N.V. - Branch UK' for the Euro Warranty and the Yamaha Assist, collected the bike on 2nd March and the letter arrived today.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This past Tuesday when I dropped off my FJ the Dealer here wanted $250 for the first service. I was shocked, I work at a car dealership, I thought it was courtesy to include the first service with the sale of ANY vehicle. I grudgingly accepted... How do I get my hands on the Yamaha service manual? Its not rocket science to work on a bike... I get much more pride in a machine servicing it myself over paying the $90 hourly rate.

• Premium Member
This past Tuesday when I dropped off my FJ the Dealer here wanted $250 for the first service. I was shocked, I work at a car dealership, I thought it was courtesy to include the first service with the sale of ANY vehicle.
Is this your first bike?  They've never thrown in service for any bike I've ever owned (or, for that matter, most of the cars, but that seems to depend a lot on the dealer). 
The thing that surprised me when I got my first bike was that simple oil changes ran $100, more than double what I'm accustomed to paying for the car.  My understanding is they do some inspection and adjustment at the same time, although I never got a detailed description of what that entailed exactly, but even so it always seemed like a lot.  Since an oil change is drop dead stupid simple that even I can do it without screwing up, I rarely have a dealer do that anymore unless they're doing major work on the bike.  I can fill it with the best oil available with an OEM filter for ~$50 and it only takes 20 minutes, 30 minutes with the faired bike, and doing things like chain and clutch adjustment take very little expertise or time as well.

On the FJ I believe they're supposed to do throttle body sync with the first service, and some other minor tuning as well, so a higher cost is not surprising.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
The service manuals are written by a separate company contracted by Yamaha, and unless things have changed pretty drastically the primary native English speaking translator they have working for them has zero knowledge or experience in English related to motorcycle mechanics.
I was recalling this statement when I was reading the Ermax windscreen documentation earlier today, e.g.: 
"Parts damaged following a wrong assembly will be neither retaken, nor exchanged."

It has the feel of having been through a machine translator; it's hard to believe a human with even passing knowledge of the language would have written it that way.

Luckily there isn't a whole lot of need for the documentation on a piece of lucite (or whatever plastic it is) so it just made me laugh.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Jimf, Yes this is my first new motorcycle! Its been exciting, especially since the newest year bike I've owned before this was 1984! It feels good to be in the 21st century... I guess theres gunna be 21st century costs as well.

• Premium Member
Jimf, Yes this is my first new motorcycle! Its been exciting, especially since the newest year bike I've owned before this was 1984! It feels good to be in the 21st century... I guess theres gunna be 21st century costs as well.
Actually the newer ones seem to be less maintenance-prone than the older ones, in my admittedly limited experience.  I used to have to regularly futz with the carbureted bikes for one reason or another, especially after sitting for a little while.  My first fuel-injected bike was the Daytona 675 and that thing was an appliance.  Other than oil changes and chain slack adjustments it didn't need any attention at all until the first valve adjustment (which I did a little late at 18Kmiles) and it was happy to start whether it was below freezing or I was melting in my leathers. 
The parade of 'zukes and Kawis I had previously were nowhere near that easy.

Having said that, the complex electronics and many sensors on today's bikes do give a whole new set of things that can go wrong, and some of the fixes can be pretty expensive (like replacing a blown ECU).  Even so, I'll take the much better day-to-day performance of the new stuff.  If I never see another carb I will be happy.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I have a BMW F800GS. Computer controlled engine. Skip the scheduled service, the computer shuts the machine down. A "Normal" oil change every 6k miles OR 1 year is $160. One dealership in the state. I haven't fired up my FJ yet, I'll reserve judgement on that for now. However, 14 dealers in the state and the recent top rating from Consumer Reports sure makes me feel better. After four years with a beemer, I realize that it stands for Bleed My Wallet.

• 2 weeks later...
OUCH.... reading these posts just makes me cringe... I could not afford to own a motorcycle if I had to pay for regular routine servicing. If it isn't warranty it is up to me...
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

I don't plan to let the dealer work on my bike much, always had more confidence in a good independent mechanic like I've had for years.  But I did want them to do the 600 mile service.  Just dropped my bike off and the estimate is $215.  Seems kind of high for an oil change and whatever.  What is your dealer charging? 

merged with the existing thread
wessie

Archived