Fall Colors Ride - Lewisburg, WV Sept. 26-29

duhg

• Premium Member

The Fall Colors Ride is a weekend MSTA event held in the 2011 "Coolest Small Town in America" Lewisburg, WV.  The riding is great in every direction.  The restaurants downtown are excellent.  And the ride to and from the event is great, too.  It's always a good time, even though we might encounter a little rain that late in the season.  Ask people about the weather we had back when this event was at Snowshoe! 

Things to see - Greenbank National Radio Observatory is a very interesting place to visit, as are the Cass Scenic Railway (steam locomotive goes through switchbacks to get to the top of a mountain) and the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine (you don't need a "canary bird").  Also within easy reach are Seneca Rocks, the John Henry Memorial and what we've come to call the "world's best Dairy Queen."

There is no registration fee.  All are welcome.

For more info go to:

lewisburg map.PNG

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Premium Member

Neat. Most of my family hails from Lewisburg & Greenbrier County. I visit the area a couple times a year. I can attest to it being a "cool small town" with good eats and great riding. Not sure of my work schedule will allow attendance but I'll see what happens.

• Thumbsup 1
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The roads, the weather and the fun were as good or better than they have ever been.   While there was a little scattered rain on Saturday, maybe only one group of three riders got truly wet.  Attendance was light, however, especially Saturday evening when the hotel was booked up for a concert.

I rode 1400 miles and none of that was on straight roads for long. On Thursday I rode from Columbus on state routes and county roads both new and familiar.  I arrived in plenty of time for the Thursday group dinner at Food and Friends. On a sunny Friday two friends and I rode Fall Colors Route 4, 301 miles of curves that included 60 miles of the BRP sandwiched between very satisfying series of twisty roads.

Saturday was ghost town day. I led a ride to visit Thurmond, WV which took us through Prince and past Winona, Sewell and Nuttallburg. Saturday evening it seemed that everyone walked across the hotel parking lot to Ruby Tuesday for dinner, where our table was entertained with tales of run-ins with airport security. (Note: if you work with explosives the dogs will smell it on you.  Also, be sure to pack chocolate protein powder for your trip, as vanilla tests positive for nitrates and will introduce you to the same folks as the explosive smell does.)

On Sunday a friend and I made a long day of the ride home. We went through the Monongahela National Forest, Smoke Hole Canyon - we saw 2 FJ-Tracers just after leaving Smoke Hole Road, and across the North Woods-like scenery from Mt. Storm Lake to Davis, WV before slipping into Maryland and finally going via the curves to Cambridge, OH. There we split up and headed home.

Unlike last year with the stock suspension, the FJ with K-Tech forks and shock was the right tool for all the roads we encountered. 

• Like 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, duhg said:

Unlike last year with the stock suspension, the FJ with K-Tech forks and shock was the right tool for all the roads we encountered. 

The right tool for the job - love it,  👍🏻

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***