Front master cylinder failure

• Premium Member

Just a heads up.

This morning I had a catastrophic failure of the front master cylinder. It gave no warning. No fade or slow leak down. Just nothing. It worked just fine at one stoplight. Completely failed at the next. Puked brake fluid all over the fuel tank.

Rode it to my dealer using the rear brake, it's under warranty and will be taken care of.  That's the good news. Bad news is, it's on extended back order. 

I was supposed to meet my son in Murphysboro next week and ride to NC for a few days of fun.  

😡🤬

• Confused 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Whoa! That is a dangerous failure to have! Glad you didn't end up having to ditch the bike or something. Luckily haven't heard of another failure of this sort so hopefully that is an indication that it is very rare.

Hope you get back on the road soon.

• Like 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

2 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Maybe it's time for an for an FJR ES

download.jpeg

Probably uses the same master cylinder.... hahaha. (I have no idea.... just being funny)

Edit.... I believe they are the same except for the resevoir. The sub assembly has different part numbers (assuming due to the different resevoir) but if you look piece by piece the part numbers are all the same.

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@fddriver2 - Do you know what exactly failed on the master cylinder?  For it to be spraying fluid and go dead instantly, I assume some sort of catastrophic failure 

Glad you’re ok & hope it’s resolved soon.  

@texscottyd It looks like the seal around the plunger failed. It wasn't seeping or anything. Brakes at one stoplight. Zippo at the next. brake leaver pulled all the way to the handlebar. 😑

• Confused 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

There was probably some contaminant in the reservoir that got down into the piston, scored the cylinder, and thus damaged the piston seals. The same thing happened to the clutch master cylinder on my Honda Interceptor many moons ago. Naturally I was riding to work in my white Navy uniform when it happened. 😭

• Confused 1

• Supporting Member

Instead of waiting for the part to be in stock you could buy a rebuild kit, rebuilding the master cylinder should take about 15 minutes. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, betoney said:

Instead of waiting for the part to be in stock you could buy a rebuild kit, rebuilding the master cylinder should take about 15 minutes. 

That's true, just make sure the cylinder bore isn't damaged.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

The person working on it "found" one to put on it. 

And that is all that will be said about that. 🤐

• Thumbsup 1