New Dutch 900GT rider

Michiel900GT

Hi All,

After 10 years of not owning a bike following an accident, I decided to start riding again (actually, after 10 years my wife gave me permission again.....). Since about 2 weeks I'm the proud and happy owner of a Tracer 900 GT in phantom blue. I really love the bike: great looks, lots of features, easy handling and smooth riding but yet powerful and playful when you want it.

At first, I saw an 9 months old Kawasaki Versys 650 Grand Tourer with very low mileage at a local dealer and decided to buy that, thinking a Tracer 900 GT would be a bit over the budget. However, my wife knew that deep down I wanted a Tracer 900. And then she said: "If you're going to ride a bike again, buy your dream bike that you will enjoy for many years, rather than buying a less expensive "okay-ish" bike that you will want to trade in again in a few years". (gotta love the missis.....)

I hope to learn a lot from the forum and in time contribute to it.

• Thumbsup 4

Nice intro and welcome, 

I also looked at the little veryses, nice styling, nice colours and comfy but, the T9 offer's that and more. More engine,  and for what I want these days makes it the perfect bike. Ticked all my boxes. Not too big, not too small.

Enjoy.

Welcome to the forum from a like minded motorcyclist. I too had considered the 650 versys when I was changing from my CBF 1000 but didn't want to drop too much power. I am so glad I eventuly went for the Tracer.

Hello and welcome!  The Tracer is a great choice for a fun, sporty bike on which you can still tour in comfort.  Like you I have a wonderful wife who is accommodating to my addiction.  

Lots of great members here who are always willing to share knowledge.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 8 months later...

So, due to personal health related issues I sold my 2019 Tracer 900 GT back in February. After just 7 months of enjoying it. It broke my heart when I helped the buyer to load it into his truck.

Fortunately, things have changed for the better and I’ve ordered a new Tracer last Friday. I hope to pick it up coming Saturday. 

It is a blue one again (great colour for the Tracer....) and this time I will have the LED indicators  installed and have the standard tires changed for Michelin Pilot Road 5. 

Looking forward to riding the Tracer again!

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 3

I bought the bike with some extra’s as part of the deal: LED blinkers, new Michelin tires,  Yamaha side sliders and a TomTom Rider 550 on a Yamaha GPS stand.

Next to the accessories that are part of the deal, I’m ordering separately some other extra’s:

• SW-Motech crash bars
  • Mirror extenders
  • Vstream touring screen + vario screen (this will be a temporary solution, as I’m still thinking about buying a Madstad. But a fellow forum member will get his Madstad sometime next month, and I want to see if this indeed is the best solution)
  • Evotech radiator guard
  • I will have the seat adjusted by a specialized company. I did that with the first Tracer and it was a huge improvement.

So, thanks to my wife who has supported me so much during the very difficult period I went through and who has encouraged me to buy a new bike (even though she’s somewhat scared of me riding a bike), I will get a very nice and complete bike!

The one thing I’m considering is a Roadlok. It looks like a very nice solution for an ART approved lock. Ah well, there needs to be something on your wishlist, right?

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I have decided to sell the bike. This time fortunately not because of health reasons but due to the fact that I really can’t become friends with it. Even with all improvements I did (new screen, seat, pegs, springs etc) I am not able to find a good position and more importantly get enough confidence in the bike while cornering.

It’s a real shame because I really love the looks of the bike and the engine is a delight. But I guess for me it is too much sport and too little tour. 

It will hurt both emotionally and financially. But I want to ride with confidence and a good feeling. I’ll probably move to an Africa Twin Adventure Sport. A whole different bike but it comes closer to my XL 1000 Varadero which I really loved.