wanderer

Georgia/Alabama/Tennessee/NCarolina/Florida trip

The first week of October (well after hurricane Dorian) I could have about 3 days to get from Atlanta to Orlando. Atlanta has a relative to visit and equally important an EagleRider outpost that rents something other than HD/Indian. I've got another relative to visit in Huntsville along the way. Chilhowee adds the Dragon for the hell of it. Savannah just seemed like it might be nice to visit. I've never been in the old South beyond Virginia/DC.

So this is a rough first cut at a route. Let me know if you have any suggestions based on (a) riding roads, (b) natural wonder or hiking, (c) historical interest.

moto-se.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

If it hasn't stormed in a while, check out 116 near Knoxville / Oliver Springs. You can go up to the Norris damn, and back around. 

'15 FJ09

Savannah is a cool town. If you can, stay down by the river front. Definitely some cool bars and restaurants there. Kevin Barry's is one of my favorites. The "Hall of Heroes" is impressive

Welcome to Kevin Barrys Pub! We are located at 117 West River Street...

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

From Atlanta to Huntsville the route through Summerville and Mentone is pretty nice. I drove it in a car two years ago and it has some nice curves and scenery.

Near The Dragon the Wheels Through Time museum is worth a visit. It's in Maggie's Valley.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Birmingham AL is only a little out of the way, and a friend mentioned the Barber Motorsports Museum.

Absolutely, positivity do make time to stop at the Barber Museum.  As an enthusiast, it’s a ‘must see’ destination.  It can easily consume a full day, so plan accordingly...  

• Thumbsup 2

Between ATL and Barber running north/south:

You can connect from the Talladega to Chattanooga through the Little River Canyon:

From Chattanooga, head north to Cleveland, east to Ocoee then north on 30 to Tellico Plains.  Ride the Cherohala Skyway east.  Do an out and back on the Tail of the Dragon if it's mid week or early in the day and you haven't done it before.  Then take 28 to Bryson City and ride through Caesar's Head State Park into SC.

The biggest challenge with interesting museums on your route is that you could easily spend 8 hours at Barber and 8 hours at the rocket museum in Huntsville.  If you ride all of the above, that's probably a whole day from Birmingham up into NC and TN and back into SC.

13 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

that you could easily spend 8 hours at Barber and 8 hours at the rocket museum in Huntsville. 

Yes. Barber, Wheels through Time, Huntsville rockets. All super cool, and perhaps too much time. At least too much time if justice is done to them. I certainly can't do them all, will have to prioritize. But I am also learning what I could do on a longer future trip, so keep up the ideas if you have them!

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

Yes. Barber, Wheels through Time, Huntsville rockets. All super cool, and perhaps too much time. At least too much time if justice is done to them. I certainly can't do them all, will have to prioritize. But I am also learning what I could do on a longer future trip, so keep up the ideas if you have them!

Something for a longer trip. Natchez Trace Parkway.  444 miles of no stop lights or stop signs. Beautiful views and the road is kept in great shape.  More history than you can ever soak in.

• Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

2 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Something for a longer trip. Natchez Trace Parkway.  444 miles of no stop lights or stop signs. Beautiful views and the road is kept in great shape.  More history than you can ever soak in.

Just don't get caught speeding, its a National park and park rangers love to make the government money out there. 

I've never had a problem there but others I know have. Sucks for them hahaha

I've watched rangers in multiple parks target any motorcycle other than cruisers. Stalking them for miles and writing speeding tickets with zero tolerance. I avoid them.  

A couple years back. (It's in the ride reports) I was on the Natchez and came up over a rise hauling a$$ and a cruiser was coming the other way. Popped his lights on and off. I slowed way down, waved as he went by.  

They're not all dicks. YMMV