Low Windscreen Position is Best for this Tall Rider

I'm 6'3" and when I picked up my FJ I told the dealer to have the windscreen set up in the tall position, which seemed logical.  After really annoying buffetting with the wind hitting me right in the middle of the face shield, I tried the low position and wow, what a difference.  I honestly love the stock screen now and an after-market screen is totally off my list.  My helmet is in the clear wind, I can ride up to about 50 mph with the face shield wide open.  Also, I raised the seat to the high position, which gives a bit more legroom but doesn't make a big difference either way, in my opinion.  Just wanted to share...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That makes sense. I'm 6'3" as well and I found the seat in the lowest position the most comfortable. 
I had an issue with the seat pushing me forward and smashing my boys. I was almost disliking the bike till i adjusted my seat. I'm still wanting a large windshield for touring though, it keeps the wind noise down and protects my ears better. I can also use my helmet speaker without blasting out my ear drums! 

Is there a windshield thread yet???

• 2 weeks later...
I'm 6'5" and haven't had a chance to ride on FJ yet, but I've always found that any bike where the windshield deflects wind higher than my chest is not comfortable. Even a full on touring bike. I'm so tall, I can't get my helmet in calm air even on a Goldwing. As long as I'm not doing more than 80mph for a long distance, it's not bad...even on a naked bike.

I found that the stock shield did not work for me at 6'2" so I went with a Madstad set up and now I can ride without ear plugs. I have had a Madstad set up on two bikes are both are great.
I found their website!!!    Without ear plugs, really?.........That would be awesome!!  The FJ is one noisy beast with the stock screen!!  I am 6'4" and ride with the stock screen in the lowest position.  

I lowered the windshield this afternoon,not a fan, the lower height didn't really work that well. The wind was hitting me in the chest.
The highest setting works for me, the wind hits me in the helmet and not in the chest (I'm 6'3")

So far I found the seat does work the best for me in the highest position if the handle pars are moved forward. Just be careful the hand guards don't rub against the front cowling.

I found that the stock shield did not work for me at 6'2" so I went with a Madstad set up and now I can ride without ear plugs. I have had a Madstad set up on two bikes are both are great.
I had a Madstad bracket on my Super Tenere. Will the Madstad accept the stock windshield or the Ermax unit? I don't care for the Madstad screens appearance wise. 

I've found the stock screen to be the least offensive in the lowest position also.  I'm 6' and am disappointed in my expectations based on the reviews I had read.  I'm looking for the right alternative.  Don't see any "sure things".

I'm 6'2" and had the choice of turbulent wair hitting me on de visor or the collar. Both giving too much noise over 60 mph. I decided to cut about 5cm (2") off the stock screen, thinking I'd get clean air hitting my helmet. Unfortunately, I can't tell any reduction in wind noise.

I did however notice that tilting my head back slightly greatly improved the noise. My guess was that my HJC RPHA-max is at least partly responsible. I tried my old Arai viper gt which was noticeably louder on my KTM SMT. You guessed it, it's more quiet on the tracer.

Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have cut the screen... Oh well: live and learn. My conclusion is that there are many different factors leading to wind noise and many different solutions to tackle the problem.

I had a Madstad bracket on my Super Tenere. Will the Madstad accept the stock windshield or the Ermax unit? I don't care for the Madstad screens appearance wise.
It will only accept the Madstad screen. They have refined the screen and I think it looks pretty good, more importantly it works really good.  
IMG_0435_zpse53zrh1q.jpg

IMG_0436_zpskzmcuxon.jpg

20 inch should work fine (Ermax is also that size).  Remember it's the bracket that is the key. It will give you so much more adjustability. I talked with Mark over the phone and the front pieces of the hand guards are merely cosmetic. He believes that the screen should also have the largest aspect on the bottom of the screen, that's how he designs them.If I didn't already go with the Ermax, I would have chosen the Madstad bracket and screen.

Madstad screen: so I am 5 ft 10.  Will the 20 inch Madstad work?  Also reading that I have to remove part of the handguard.  Is that a problem??
Personally, I would go with the 22.  The screen in the picture is 24" 

Take a look at the pictures I posted of the modified hand guard. I think it looks better. 

Archived