Wireless Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

wordsmith

Most TPMS devices carry strict warnings that they need metal valve stems. You won't know that the stem is getting damaged until the outer skin fails and rips. if it has to do so it would be a catastrophic failure. Is it really worth the risk for a few euros?

Edited by bugie

43 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I installed a TPMS on my Tracer. I can confirm that up to 160km/hr there is no wobble or notice that the sensors on the tires are even there. Past 160?????? 

I didn't do any thing special. Just screwed them on the tires and off I went.

Thanks!   Did you also fit the metal valve stems as strongly suggested here?

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

13 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks!   Did you also fit the metal valve stems as strongly suggested here?

Nope...Just put them on the stock rubber ones. Several guys I know ride with the TPMS and they ride FAST!!!! No one has ever mentioned putting the metal valve stems in. But I will ask around.

• Thumbsup 1

Shops like aliexpress, ebay and amazon always give you half arsed safety information as they sell cheap knock off brands.

If you like at more expensive, known brands like cyclops and Garmin they all specify metal valves

Cyclops:

Garmin

https://www.louis.eu/artikel/tire-pressure-monitor-system-for-garmin-zumo-345-390-395-590-595lm/10004484

Edited by bugie
  • Thumbsup 1

The TPMS kit arrived while I was away.   Very well-protected inside what looks like custom-moulded foam packaging insert, the kit contained quite a lot more than I had expected!   And as far as external appearances are concerned, each item appears to be beautifully made and finished.

A quick squizz at the accompanying Manual shows it to be written in a pretty good version of English that both I and the installer I should be able to understand and follow.   

The display monitor has two methods of attaching to the bike by either (a) a clamp with a protective inner rubber sleeve (all provided) onto the handlebar or (b) an adhesive-backed mounting clip on any flat surface.

I'm pretty busy right now but will get to the 'my' tyre guy asap to seek his counsel about installing it, then if happy I'll hand it over to him.   I intend to specify (as suggested here) right-angle metal valve stems, and of course he will be able to balance the wheels again after the installation process. 

BTW - answering any queries about wheel balance, the external sensors weigh-in at a mere 10g each!   The sensors are the two small black round items - one upside down - to the lhs and slightly above the kit's spanner...

P1050867.JPG

P1050871.JPG

P1050872.JPG

P1050873.JPG

P1050877.JPG  location of monitor on h'bar centre

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 9/12/2019 at 3:56 PM, bugie said:

Most TPMS devices carry strict warnings that they need metal valve stems. 

I'll do the right thing and fit metal stems, but the instructions that came with my newly-delivered kit makes no mention of this or of the apparent danger of installing on rubber stems.   Caveat emptor an' all that!  

Thanks again for the heads-up! 

• Thumbsup 1

I am baffled, which is not a hard thing to achieve!   Breaking the habit of a lifetime, I actually sat down and very carefully read the Instruction Manual that comes with the kit.   

It's a bit confusing, for the Manual refers to what appear to be two (2) versions of the kit, in one of which (mine) the 'external sensors' are mounted onto the tyre-stem, externally on the wheel rim.   In the other version the Manual refers to and illustrates 'internal sensors', looking quite different to mine and obviously mounted inside the tyre (see pix below).   Now, I assume (which one should never do) that the manufacturer has chosen to save a bit of money by having the one Manual cover both sensor versions, but it's not at all clear.   Am I correct?

Next - there is a short USB lead in the kit, and I see a narrow slot covered by a rubber 'flap' on the rhs of the Monitor, with the usual USB symbol embossed on it, but there is no mention in the Manual of this.   Can I assume that the USB is connected to the Monitor at all times, or is it used only infrequently to 'top-up' whatever battery(ies) may be inside?

And - colour me dim if you must - the clear plastic clip into which the Monitor fits (there are two types and I've gone the 'bar-mounted route) looks a bit brittle and flimsy to me.   The press-to-release 'tab' which engages with the Monitor to lock it in place in the clip, and unlock it to allow removal of the Monitor, also looks rather fragile.   I don't want to press it too hard and risk it snapping-off (see pic below, 'tab' highlighted).   Again, am I on the right track?

LATER EDIT: musing over all this, there is one other very important omission from the Manual, which does not refer to the fact - obvious when you think about it - that the two sensors are not identical.   One is marked R for rear, the other F for front, and it would not be smart to install them incorrectly.   The printed marking of R and F is very indistinct, hardly readable on each sensor, and there is also another printed code that clearly implies that the two are different.   (Final pic below...)

One good thing is that it seems to me that I may not need the services of 'my' tyre guy, which I'd assumed I would, in the mistaken belief that the sensors would be mounted internally, requiring removal of the tyres.   It looks as if the sensors merely screw onto the new, right-angle metal tyre-valve stems after a securing nut from the kit is screwed onto the stem.   Is this correct?   I'll be buying the new stems later today, and off we go - I hope! 

I mentioned earlier that I had an OE built-in TPMS on my later BMWs, but this aftermarket system appears to have more functions and to be more comprehensive in its functionality than BMW provided. 

I'd appreciate comments from guys here who may have installed a similar kit to mine, just to give me some comfort!   I have sent these queries to the vendor, but am not hopeful of a speedy response.

P1050879.JPG

P1050880.JPG

P1050881.JPG

P1050882.JPG

P1050886.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

FINAL UPDATE: the pretty good English in which the Manual is written and as I said above is true, but unfortunately the instructions themselves are quite incomplete.   Nevertheless, I stifled my usual impatience and read, learned, and inwardly digested the instructions to the nth degree, but fell at the first hurdle!   Despite doing everything carefully and by the book I could not enter the first pressure setting, which is to put the LO parameter into the Monitor.

So I have sent it back, which is disappointing: I cannot waste more time on it, even though it might be a useful device to have.  I have made far too many purchases of motorbike bits 'n' pieces over many years - this is the first 'fail' that I've had.   

I just hope I can get my dosh back, as although only a modest AUD$78 it will buy other goodies.

So the kit has internal batteries and not external batteries? No need for metal stems with internal batteries. Your original post with just valve caps indicated they had external batteries since it only showed a valve cap and computer

Edited by bugie

Yes - def internal batteries as there is (was) a low-batt icon on the screen until I plugged the unit via the USB cable into the outlet on the bike.   No regrets - I may have found the device took away my concentration on more important on-the-road things. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a fair amount of to-ing and fro-ing, and me getting increasingly terse and impatient, the E Bay vendor - EShop1May - has finally made a full refund of the $78.24 cost, so I'm only out of pocket by the $8 cost of returning the kit.   A pity in a way that it didn't work out as it could be useful as a safety item, but again I think I may have found it distracting. 

Incidentally, in many years of buying all sorts of motorcycling stuff on E Bay this is the first time I've struck a problem, albeit resolved..

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear the TPMS didn't work out, and your sheckles were returned.

I too had issues configuring the settings on the Cyclops units I installed, but finally have them sorted.

I prefer the bike-powered units so I don't have to mess with charging them. The "T" valves I installed also simplify use as you don't have to remove the sensor to add or release air.

I think these are an outstanding addition to any bike, well worth the $$ and setup confusion to have such important info readily accessable. Could be lifesaving!

And the "distraction" of having the display there will wear off after a while, until a flashing red led notifies you of a pressure drop!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, tonytango said:

i had a similar system fitted to my last two bikes and now going to fit them to my 900 gt,

i found that i had to change the rubber valve stem's for metal one's nether had any problems 

with them.

I order angled metal stems to add them to my next tire change. I don't ride crazy fast so I think they will be fine for now