Frame bottoming out on speed bumps with pillion

Bimbim18

I have a 2019 Tracer 900 GT.

On certain speedbumps in my neighborhood my frame/exhaust bottoms hits the speedbump pretty hard whenever I have a passenger. Pretty scary (especially with a passenger and I'm imagining it isn't doing my bike any favors). My rear preset (Knob) is set to max.

I drop off my son daily (I have found ways to avoid speed bumps leaving but coming in there are 2 speedbumps I can't avoid) but other than that I would say I am on the bike solo 95% of the time.

What do you guys suggest?

New shock with a higher rate spring, set to your combined weight it’s probably the only way forward.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

5 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

I have a 2019 Tracer 900 GT.

On certain speedbumps in my neighborhood my frame/exhaust bottoms hits the speedbump pretty hard whenever I have a passenger. Pretty scary (especially with a passenger and I'm imagining it isn't doing my bike any favors). My rear preset (Knob) is set to max.

I drop off my son daily (I have found ways to avoid speed bumps leaving but coming in there are 2 speedbumps I can't avoid) but other than that I would say I am on the bike solo 95% of the time.

What do you guys suggest?

I don't think your rear preload is useful in this regard. You need to adjust your front forks. They are bottoming out causing you to hit (and not the rear suspension). i.e. front wheel goes over the bump and it bottoms out before the rear wheel touches the speed bump.

.......unless you are riding in reverse ;)

On 9/12/2019 at 11:56 PM, streeter said:

Can you go over the speed bumps at an angle instead of straight on?

Not where i need it most of course. I can actually avoid all of the speedbumps in the neighborhood except the one at the gate entrance. Of course it's single lane and I actually have to straddle the speedbump to be next to the reciever box to be in range of the key fob.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:51 AM, bugie said:

I don't think your rear preload is useful in this regard. You need to adjust your front forks. They are bottoming out causing you to hit (and not the rear suspension). i.e. front wheel goes over the bump and it bottoms out before the rear wheel touches the speed bump.

.......unless you are riding in reverse ;)

Thank's Buggie, I'll bump up the front preload.

I'm looking for a longer range key fob also. If I can find one thats longer range it's possible to drive past it by going the into the exit gate lane and stopping at the u-turn spot but currently my fob won't reach the antenna from there.

I just want to be sure you are aware of this problem...

Bottoming out an FJ can (and will) lead to catastrophic failure of the oil pan. It has happened to more than one person on this forum.

The low amount of clearance between oil drain plug / protective fins on pan and the ground is the problem.

The FJ test rider at Motorcyclist mag ripped out the drain plug riding a 2015 FJ over a small curb he regularly rode other bikes over. (See youtube for more horror stories.)

The problem was supposedly fixed with a redesigned pan in late 2016 models, but the clearance is still minimal and an issue.

just say'n

• Thanks 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09