Soupy's Lowering link and what to expect

basstodave

• Premium Member
After I removed the feeler peg it was a lot easier. Also, with some use the sidestand started to deploy a littoe easier, and I've learned how to position my toe to get it fully extended. It's not muscle memory yet, but it's working out.

In a pinch I can put the centerstand down easily enough while seated anyway.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm also 5'4"... I fumble a bit with the side stand, but get there eventually. It's the slow stuff that really scares me, things like little stones that make your foot slip just at the wrong time.

Lowering has made a big difference, but I'm still only just in the balls of my feet, even with seat and suspension on the lowest setting. Oh, for another couple of inches!

• Premium Member
scuff, get yer coat, sounds like you are about to be traded in for something more, erm, manly
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Tough to get that under the shifter. But maybe a footstool with a cable to pull it up when riding away, kind of like a sidestand plate....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Does the side stand has to be shortened when used with the lowering kit? I know the Versys 650 lowering requires a shorter side stand (some use the ER6N side stand, and for the FJ, I guess the FZ side stand), and the adjustment on the front forks.

Does the side stand has to be shortened when used with the lowering kit? I know the Versys 650 lowering requires a shorter side stand (some use the ER6N side stand, and for the FJ, I guess the FZ side stand), and the adjustment on the front forks.

I haven't got a shorter side stand, and the bike is very upright.  It's something I'm considering getting, if for no other reason than peace of mind. 

Hi folks,

I thought I'd chime in here, since I recently bought Soupy's lowering link and attempted to have it installed on my FJ-09 at my local Yamaha dealer.

TL;DR: we were unable to make it fit.

Maybe we're missing something, but when I saw the bike on the lift, the links were unable to be bolted in at both the top and the bottom. In that state, the shock was resting on the front of the swingarm.

No instructions shipped from Soupys, and it didn't seem like any were needed. Has anyone had success with this lowering link? I want to be sure there isn't something else I need to be doing to make it fit before I return it.

Thanks,

Biker Guy

Hi folks, 
I thought I'd chime in here, since I recently bought Soupy's lowering link and attempted to have it installed on my FJ-09 at my local Yamaha dealer.

TL;DR: we were unable to make it fit.

Maybe we're missing something, but when I saw the bike on the lift, the links were unable to be bolted in at both the top and the bottom. In that state, the shock was resting on the front of the swingarm.

No instructions shipped from Soupys, and it didn't seem like any were needed. Has anyone had success with this lowering link? I want to be sure there isn't something else I need to be doing to make it fit before I return it.

Thanks,

Biker Guy
My understanding is that a bit of the swing arm needs to be ground off to get a fit. This has been noted some where, maybe on an FZ09 forum. The local shop here has lowered an FZ09 and the mechanic told me that he had to grind a raised seam on the swing arm to get a fit. He indicated that the shop/dealership discouraged grinding the swing arm and the client had them do it anyway. 
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

Hi everyone. I am on the really "short" side also :) Just over 161cm (5'3")
I am about to order my FJ09 and consider ordering both lower seat and lowering links from Yamaha.
I also come from Triumph Daytona 675, like Jimf, which is also lowered by means of seat and links.
As for the kickstand, on the D675 I grinded the "stop", allowing the lever to move a bit more forward, thus allowing the bike lean to a proper angle. Is it possible on the FJ09's kickstand?

I suppose you could do that. It would likely be a matter of not having a little rod sticking out anymore to kickstand the bike easily. If you are talented with welding, you MAYBE could cut a section out of it. Maybe its just me, but that sounds like more work than its worth.

Archived