Soupy's Lowering link and what to expect

basstodave

Seems to me that if soupy wants to promote his products on this forum, he ought to become a supporting vendor. Just sayin'.

Michael - I apologize if I upset you by mentioning Soupy's special on the links and stand.  I was just trying to bring the group up to date and inform them of a possible savings opportunity.  I have mentioned to Mike at Soupy's that he should join the forum for several reasons.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HI ,

I  bought a lowering link and adjustable kick stand from Soupy's lowering links, easy bolt on , 
lower the FJ-09 to 30' inchs . Am 5'6 and it helps with being flat footed, the bike still handles great and 
there was no need to lower the front triple clamps, because the bike still sits with a little bit of a rake, 
at most level in the end..
I have a lowered seat also from Yamaha, which i'll tried but it very hard on the back, and sore on the butt after riding
for 2 hours, so i use the original from Yamaha in the lower seat setting. Hope this helps for the short people out there... 

HI ,      
     I  bought a lowering link and adjustable kick stand from Soupy's lowering links, easy bolt on , 
lower the FJ-09 to 30' inchs . Am 5'6 and it helps with being flat footed, the bike still handles great and 
there was no need to lower the front triple clamps, because the bike still sits with a little bit of a rake, 
at most level in the end..
I have a lowered seat also from Yamaha, which i'll tried but it very hard on the back, and sore on the butt after riding
for 2 hours, so i use the original from Yamaha in the lower seat setting. Hope this helps for the short people out there... 

barber - I used SPM 1 1/4" links and Soupy's stand.  But Soupy's stand had threads in one side of the clevis, as shown here: http://imgur.com/dnZsYNZ . This caused the stock shoulder bolt to bottom out before it could tighten, as shown here: http://imgur.com/Ht8eoSU . So I drilled out the threads to match the stock stand.  Then I found the hole in the other side of the clevis wasn't big enough to accept the stock bushing, being a few thousandths too small in diameter.  I machined it out enough and installed the stand finally.  I have the stand adjusted properly, and it seems to work fine.  Did you not have any of these conditions on your part? I find the pin for lowering it easier to find than the stock one.  I am also 5'6", and am also satisfied with the reach now.
I have the lowered seat also, but haven't gotten to ride enough yet to form a solid opinion of it.

• Premium Member
I heard from Soupys  today. They are sending me a new stand since their analysis of the photos I sent them shows  a defect in the stand. I think the new stand will work fine. I will post new photos once it is installed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I installed the new stand. It works better. At max length it works fine with the Yamaha lowering links. There is no way it would work with stock linkage. I still had to shim the big foot pad to make it sit flat with ground. As far as I can see they are the only ones to make an adjustable side stand that fits the FJ.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone found an issue with riding over speed bumps after lowering the bike? 
Chris
I had the Soupy's 1 1/4" links on for a while, and did not scrape any speed bumps but I did scrape the cat converter on my driveway ramp every time, no matter what speed.  I have a narrow parkway between the curb and sidewalk, so the ramp is pretty steep I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I got the Lust Racing lowering links after they sat in LAX customs for a while. Here's a shot of the four sets of links I have so far -
http://i.imgur.com/fccrHja.jpg
Left to right: Stock, Yamaha 9/16", Lust Racing 1", PSR 1 1/4".
I tried to align the bottom hole centers, since the most important functional dimension is hole center to center. I've calculated that dimension as follows -
Stock - 2.482 in, 63.05mm
Yam 9/16" - 2.354", 59.79mm
Lust 1" - 2.2605", 57.42mm
PSR 1 1/14" - 2.042", 51.89mm

I also lowered the front 10mm, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. It sits pretty much where I want it now, but of course the proof is in the pudding.

• 1 month later...

Archived