Flying to buy my Tracer 900 GT today

Clegg78

Hey everyone,   I am joining this "club" today.   Located in Denver, but I am flying to SLC to pick up a new Tracer 900 GT and ride it back this weekend.   Just sold a Triumph Sprint ST (2005) yesterday and am excited to go from a pretty basic ST machine to a fully loaded amazing machine.   I owned the Sprint for close to 10 years, and put 20K miles on it (not a lot of miles per year, but there were a couple years where the bike only did a few hundred miles). 

It is interesting how close the specs are between the Sprint ST and the Tracer - almost the same weight (for my non ABS Sprint),  but the weight on the Tracer feels so much lower to the ground than the top heavy sprint.   Engine is 200cc smaller on the Yamaha, but makes almost the same power.    The riding position is far more upright on the Tracer, vs the leaned forward sport style of the sprint. 

I am excited to start reading all the tips and tricks and suggestions on here. 

• Thumbsup 7

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Hey everyone,   I am joining this "club" today.   Located in Denver, but I am flying to SLC to pick up a new Tracer 900 GT and ride it back this weekend.

Congrats on the new bike, I was just riding in Utah/Colorado a few days ago, lots of awesome options for a "long way home" ride!  Have fun.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Made the 545mi ride back in good time.  Keeping the engine under the 5600 RPM limit most of the ride (which really is about 80mph) during the break in period.  I just ordered some Motul 7100 and a filter to do the first break-in oil change now that I put 600mi on the bike in 48 hrs. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I too went from a Sprint ST (2007 ABS) to the Tracer GT. I loved it but was ready for something new. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far in the first 6000 miles. 

Enjoy!

• Thumbsup 1

Congrats on the new bike.  Glad to hear you made it home safe from your maiden voyage.  How did your posterior get along with the stock seat?  I can live with the stock seat but it still leaves me wanting something more comfortable.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

3 hours ago, tojjer said:

You'll love it, I have a new GT. I went from a BMW F800GS to the GT, so quite a difference.

You'll like chucking it around, it really is a do it all bike

I too had a BMW F800 - but the GT in my case, pretty much the same bike - and while a fine motorcycle, chalk 'n' cheese to the Tracer GT, IMHO.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I can live with the stock seat but it still leaves me wanting something more comfortable.

It's a great pity that we don't see more reports here about replacement seats......................🙄

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

There are at least two threads about Sargent releasing their Tracer seat, one began by me. I really line mine, don’t love it yet as it needs a little modification that Sargent is most likely going to do going forward. But it’s a damn sight better than the OEM.