Oro Quincy Highway - NorCal

maximo

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Cruizin said:

There are also some very very good twisty streetbike roads close by, but I don't do that anymore. 

Well, that's no fun.  I was just through there last week, from Sun Valley up to Stanley, then into Lowman and then Boise and finally North all the way to Moscow.  GREAT riding, the Sawtooth Range is beautiful and HWY21 out of Lowman is a sport riders dream!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 hours ago, betoney said:

Well, that's no fun.  I was just through there last week, from Sun Valley up to Stanley, then into Lowman and then Boise and finally North all the way to Moscow.  GREAT riding, the Sawtooth Range is beautiful and HWY21 out of Lowman is a sport riders dream!

I actually have more fun on the dirt trails now days. I had some really close calls my last couple years on the street, and have lost too many friends to fully enjoy streetbikes anymore. I get my streetbike thrills by reading forum members posts and seeing your pics. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

I actually have more fun on the dirt trails now days. I had some really close calls my last couple years on the street, and have lost too many friends to fully enjoy streetbikes anymore. 

I've really considered going to dirt or racetrack only for the same reasons. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, koth442 said:

I've really considered going to dirt or racetrack only for the same reasons. 

You're a former local guy. Rider lost his life last weekend on Salmon Falls Road. I was a few minutes behind. When I rode by there were several sport bikes and somebody administering CPR. Shook me up for a while. Came into a corner too hot, crashed and hit his head on the guard rail.

It's a popular road that people treat as their racetrack, but lots of houses, bikes and rafting vans make it unsafe when traveling at high speeds.

52 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

You're a former local guy. Rider lost his life last weekend on Salmon Falls Road. I was a few minutes behind. When I rode by there were several sport bikes and somebody administering CPR. Shook me up for a while. Came into a corner too hot, crashed and hit his head on the guard rail.

It's a popular road that people treat as their racetrack, but lots of houses, bikes and rafting vans make it unsafe when traveling at high speeds.

Yikes!!! Salmon Falls is twisty, smooth, and very accessible. But as you said, very dangerous. 

'15 FJ09

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, chitown said:

Sweet, I'll be up there with a group of friends soon so we've timed up it well :) 

Did a few days up there and Buck's Lake and Quincy-La Porte were tasty as ever. We ended up running a loop clockwise and ccw. The rain came in Saturday and the forecast essentially said "Winter is coming tonight!" so we cancelled the last night in Quincy and headed down 162 in bad rain to the south and west where it was still pleasant. It ended our fun at altitude so I worked my way down to Mariposa (via Little Dragon, Pool Station, etc) and made the slog home Sunday to SoCal easier. 

While on 20 we ended up behind a winter prep truck and got a nice salty coating. I joked that salty chicken strips were what was for lunch and they do not lie:

Random sport bike dude:

5079104_ScreenShot2019-09-30at4_43_05PM.thumb.png.dd71f3f615d324e731132311ebd143f3.png

My 83 year old buddy's CBR1000RR:

IMG-20190926-162849036-HDR.thumb.jpg.f68f943c997f164ebb4c7c9122bc6e44.jpg

My FJ-09:

IMG-20190926-162920052.thumb.jpg.2d1331ffdcc39f60240c3aa72d7cb1f2.jpg

Good times!

• Thumbsup 1

Good call on getting down off the mountain! A bunch of roads were closed up there due to snow. 

An epic ride, one that you'll talk about for a while! 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current