how much of a hooligan bike is the FJ (Tracer)?

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I read here earlier (but cannot now locate it to quote directly) that the Tracer is perhaps more sports- than touring-oriented.
Clearly, much depends on the rider and how it is ridden - BUT: I have some concerns that the Tracer's mad sports-bikeMT-09 predecessor may have carried through a bit too much of the sport DNA to the Tracer.
How valid is that concern?
Lawrence of Suburbia [em]('39 model)[/em][em]Brisbane, [/em][em]Queensland, [/em][em]Australia[/em]

• Premium Member
I realise you are in the former colonies south of the equator so there will be nuances in the English language, but for me, the term "hooligan bike" is something that was used by journalists in the 1990s and a bit passé nowadays. It would be good to move away from trying to stereotype motorcycles and their riders. People and bikes come in all shapes and sizes and if you enjoy riding your chosen motorcycle, does it matter what label others attach to it?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

It is certainly more sport than say a FJR1300 in respects that it is much lighter and doesn't come standard with touring essentials such as bags. There's some magazine or site that tested acceleration and found the fj-09 faster than the FJR1300 in nearly every test, even 2 up. There's a lot of power for the weight. The FZ-09 never interested me because I was looking for a bike that would be comfortable for both me and my wife but was still light weight and fun to drive. I didn't want to have to handle a 700 lb bike every day to commute to work so I could talks my wife on a motorcycle vacation every other year. For the occasional trip, properly farkled the FJ will do the job. The FZ definitely would not have been comfortable for my wife but she is fine on the FJ. You can drive any bike like a hooligan. I think the FJ is more composed and targeted to a slightly different market than the FZ. Just my 2 cents, not having ridden either a FJR or an FZ.

• Premium Member
I realise you are in the former colonies south of the equator so there will be nuances in the English language, but for me, the term "hooligan bike" is something that was used by journalists in the 1990s and a bit passé nowadays. It would be good to move away from trying to stereotype motorcycles and their riders. People and bikes come in all shapes and sizes and if you enjoy riding your chosen motorcycle, does it matter what label others attach to it?
I bet the term hooligan bike has a much harsher meaning in the UK. Here it just means it wheelies and does stoppies easy. We have a whole sub-culture here in the states that does nothing but wheelies, stoopies, and such. Doesn't interest me in the least, but then again, I am not 20 anymore.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
A rather condescending reply!   It was, indeed, in a UK magazine report that the term 'hooligan bike' was recently used, and another you'd probably also classify as passé - 'street-fighter'.   Frankly, I've never liked either, and still don't know exactly what they are supposed to convey. I'm also not the least interested in what other people label anything, but aren't we here to seek and exchange thoughts, impressions, experiences, to help others?   I'd think and expect a Moderator to be a little less dismissive of members' wording.
So, trying hard not to use any nuances that may baffle you - early undesirable characteristics of the MT-09 wereslushy suspension, and twitchy throttle in one or another of the ride modes.   Are these still of concern to the average rider?
L of S

• Premium Member
I always thought of it as an endearing label for a bike that likes to wheelie.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I read here earlier (but cannot now locate it to quote directly) that the Tracer is perhaps more sports- than touring-oriented. Clearly, much depends on the rider and how it is ridden - BUT: I have some concerns that the Tracer's mad sports-bikeMT-09 predecessor may have carried through a bit too much of the sport DNA to the Tracer.
How valid is that concern?

The Tracer may be being sold more Sport than touring in the world, but in the U.S. I feel that Yamaha of America has the FJ more focused on Touring than sport.  The FZ is the Sport one and the FJ is the Touring one.  Now how you use them is  totally up to you.  There appears to be plenty of people that want to make the FJ a Sport rather than touring bike and it also appears that there are plenty of us that want the Touring side as well as the sport.  I have been muscling a FJR around for 10 years and I am tired of the weight.  The FJ works better and it will be my sport Touring machine.  Like others, I will go fast in the twisties too, leaving most behind and smiling all the while.  I would be happier if they hadn't limited it so much here in the U.S., but being older and more sensible today, I can live with it.  I do have an FJR that will go fast.   
So, I don't think you need be concerned.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
A rather condescending reply!   It was, indeed, in a UK magazine report that the term 'hooligan bike' was recently used, and another you'd probably also classify as passé - 'street-fighter'.   Frankly, I've never liked either, and still don't know exactly what they are supposed to convey. I'm also not the least interested in what other people label anything, but aren't we here to seek and exchange thoughts, impressions, experiences, to help others?   I'd think and expect a Moderator to be a little less dismissive of members' wording.
So, trying hard not to use any nuances that may baffle you - early undesirable characteristics of the MT-09 wereslushy suspension, and twitchy throttle in one or another of the ride modes.   Are these still of concern to the average rider?
L of S

and your reply is rather patronising - I am exchanging my thoughts and impressions and you will have to get used to that because I'm quite vocal and will let someone know if I disagree with them. Just because I have the label moderator, doesn't mean I have to moderate my views to be passive to any comments I disagree with. If you are going to stick around in a forum of this nature then you need to get a thicker skin
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Maybe if I bored you with my story of choosing the Tracer may help with your concerns L of S.

Unlike many, I've 'stepped' up in cc's. My previous two bikes were Yamaha Thundercat's *, labeled as a Sports Tourer so in much the same genre, the weight is similar as is the horsepower. If you were so inclined it still out accelerates an R6 or R1, but unlike them I can take a pillion and tour around for two weeks or so. It was a general all rounder, but didn't excel in any particular area - if you wanted ultimate speed get an R6, total touring comfort get a two wheeled sofa of some sorts.
I am expecting the Tracer to be much the same. Right now mine would be classed as a sports bike as I don't have any luggage installed, but that will change in the coming weeks, Givi have dispatched their rails to resellers and Yamaha will be delivering their semi hard side case racks and bags end of March / early April in the UK.

I'd look at the MT-09 and Tracer in a similar way as the R1 and Fazer, much the same engine but tuned to be better suited to the road rather than the track.

I have to say I was put off by some of the magazine reports. I have come to the conclusion most of them went to Spain on a jolly at Yamaha's expense and wrote a fair amount of drivel. One particular publication nearly put me off even test riding the bike, pictures of the bike on its back wheel abounded. Not happy Yamaha wouldn't turn off the ABS the writer whipped out the fuse.

When I did test ride the bike I had planned what I wanted to do in the 45 minutes I had, the final test was would it wheelie if in A mode and I grabbed a handful. If it did I would have walked away, front end off the ground is not in my book of things I wish to do.

You've also mentioned the suspension and the throttle,  both have been addressed in the Tracer - if anything I'm finding the suspension to be a bit hard. Those of us fortunate enough to have the heated grips have in some cases noticed excessive play, but I think that is shoddy installation work by the dealers who did not check the cable play.

* Conversion for North American Readers

Thundercat = YZF 600 R
Tracer FJ-09
MT-09 FZ-09

I'd look at the MT-09 and Tracer in a similar way as the R1 and Fazer, much the same engine but tuned to be better suited to the road rather than the track.

I think the MT would be flattered being compared with the R1 :)

I would suggest the Tracer (FJ) is more sport than touring as it is very light, flip-flops well and is as good fun having a blast on as it is going a distance.  That said, I think it will tour very well once you have it set up for you. It reminds me a lot of my Tiger 1050 (only a little less plush on the suspension) which was also a great bike for all occasions.

Sport tourer almost seems a thing of the past now in itself. That's what they called sports bikes when they got too fat and slow to keep up with the competition. The MT is not an 'adventure' bike either, as it would not perform off road anywhere near as well as the competition. So what is it? A bloomin' good alrounder.

Is it a hooligan? It is if you are! Is it a tourer? It is if you are! Is it sporty? Guess what...

• Premium Member
I like to think of the Tracer as the ultimate universal Japanese motorcycle (so far). This banner has been held by bikes like the Fazer 600 and Bandit 600 which were very good bikes at the turn of the century. The Tracer has taken that idea and added some modern styling and electronics in the form of ABS and TCS to produce a bike that will satisfy many needs without being cutting edge at anything. As Steve says, if you want razor sharp handling look elsewhere and if you want supreme comfort seek an alternative. If you want one bike that will do the daily commute, put a smile on your face on a Sunday morning or take you and your pillion to the Alps or Appalachians without needing the muscles of a Titan, then the Tracer may fit the bill.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
and your reply is rather patronising - I am exchanging my thoughts and impressions and you will have to get used to that because I'm quite vocal and will let someone know if I disagree with them. Just because I have the label moderator, doesn't mean I have to moderate my views to be passive to any comments I disagree with. If you are going to stick around in a forum of this nature then you need to get a thicker skin
Just yankin' yer chain, wessie, just yankin' yer chain!   We are all different - and some are more different than others. But I would have thought that a well-paid Moderator such as yourself should speak rather more moderately, behaving a bit more like the Speaker in a Parliament, keeping a hand on things but not intruding too much.   But then you do confess to talking a lot of bollox!
Should I hang around - and thank you for the kind invitation - I look forward to lots of verbal sparring with you in future, wessie.
And a sincere 'thanks' to those who answered my question reasonably and helpfully.   I have a test-ride booked for next truesday... we shall see.
L of S
l of s

Archived