Engine oil Warning light

Question please.

I posted a question concerning this issue about a month ago.

Got answers but pretty much all relating to oil level  

when I start the bike up after riding for 5 minutes the engine oil light comes on as well as a general warning light (red exclamation point). The oil level Is perfect..

The only conclusion i have is either a sensor issue or the fact that my oil temp is too cold a sensor or something doesn’t read oil level or circulation well.  When I get over 72 degrees Celsius or 21 Fahrenheit it goes away. Only stays on for about 60-120 seconds never to come back on again. 

I always let the bike warm up before I got but seems like not long enough.

never had this issue with other bikes I have owned.

Thoughts anyone?? 

• Premium Member

I have to fill mine on the high side of the glass. After I change the oil/filter i fill it up to the mark on the glass. Start her up and let her run for several minuets.  Shut her down and cool off. Then check her and i usually have to add some. If I don't do this my light will come on like yours.

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

19 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I have to fill mine on the high side of the glass. After I change the oil/filter i fill it up to the mark on the glass. Start her up and let her run for several minuets.  Shut her down and cool off. Then check her and i usually have to add some. If I don't do this my light will come on like yours.

Filled up to top line and went for a ride.  No lights came on. I guess this bike like to be full. Didn’t even wait for the bike to fully warm up just to see and all good.  Sensors are so sensitive these days.  Funny because the bike was serviced at 1000km and the oil added was from the dealer. Once again you would think dealer would know this, but I am disappointed once again. 

Are they doing it on purpose to do things half assed?

They once again are confirming that you should find a trust mechanic and never look back. 

They kill me. 

Thanks again for the info. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

IHi @Petepuck - Glad you got it sorted out.  As @micah2074 said, these bikes seem to be very sensitive to oil level, and tend to trigger that low oil warming light unless the oil level is at the very top full mark on the site glass.  

I had the same experience at my first oil change, but since learning to fill it to the top of the site glass, I haven’t had any further issues.   Just one of those quirks with the FJ/Tracer, apparently.  

Happy riding! 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I bought a plastic measuring cup at O'reilly's auto parts and pour the oil from the container into my measuring cup to make sure I'm filling it up with the right amount of oil. (2.85 US Quarts for an oil and oil filter change)

Never had the issue you brought up, but I do notice that the oil is a bit high in the glass when I'm done filling it up.

I usually fill just to top of sight glass...run the engine for a min or two then I check the oil lvl a min or two after I shut the motor off... I have a chunk of 2x4 wood that I pop under the kickstand to tilt the bike more vertical for oil changes...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp