First ride on the my new 2019 Tracer GT

Clegg78

Just wanted to give a bit some observations on my first 500+ mile ride on the Tracer GT I picked up the other day. 

1.  OMG this thing handles like a dream - it goes exactly where I want it to in the corner... no hesitation, no heavy work by me, just flops in and goes.  Its more sure footed while being extremely flickable than any bike over 400cc that I've ever ridden.   (A ninja 250 and Honda CBR 400 are the only bikes I've been on that leans over as fast and effortless as this tracer) 

2. Cruise control - what a game changer for rider comfort...   Where have you been my whole life!?  

3. the LCD dash is nice, but I would like more data fields to choose from... no battery voltage, no Miles to Empty,  no Hours on the engine/oil, etc...  Would seem like a software update could bring some of that to the dash.

4. The engine is very very smooth down low.   Gets a bit buzzy above 6K RPM.   I do have some bar vibrations I need to look into.  I owned a Triumph Sprint ST Triple before this so I know how they can get in the upper RPM bands. 

5. Foot position is good, if agressive for an upright bike like this.  GReat for corners, but I need to work on the see height a bit.  I think the lower seat height is great for at stop lights, but when riding the higher seat height may fit me better to give the legs some room.    And yes my boots hit the passenger peg brackets, but I actually liked reaching my boots back and resting on them a little bit a few times on the ride. 

6. windscreen is about as effective as any sporty screen I've had...  I will want to try some others coming up.

7. Normally after doing 300 - 500 miles on my Sprint, I would be just destroyed...  Heat from the engine bathes you on that bike + it was labor to make it do anything.    While the sprint ant the Tracer GT are almost EXACTLY the same weight, the Tracer feels like a bike 200lbs less than it really is.  (Credit to the low and centered mass)  I got off my bike last night after 8+ hours on it riding from SLC to Denver and was good to go out and hang out with friends for the rest of the night, barely needed a shower even (other than needing to get rid of the helmet corn row hair style I had from my Shoei helmet) 

8. in-town handling on this bike is so confidence inspiring... just goes where you want, no drama at low speed, seems to almost balance itself when creeping along...  All things my Sprint scared the shit out of my with. 

9. Menu driven hand warmers are OK - takes a few tries to get them right. 

10. Fuel gauge only registering the lowering fuel level after 1/2 tank is interesting.   I had to manually reset the fuel consumption to watch that a bit closely to get an idea of really how many miles I had left based on the average MPG I was burning.

11. Speaking of MPG with 90% freeway/highway travel I averaged 52mpg on the entire ride.   I am happy with that, especially with a new tight motor.  

So thats my review... for paying ~12K OTD on a new bike... this machine is a crazy steal.    I dont know much about the engine yet since I am in the break-in period and keeping it below 5600 on the entire ride here, and under 7K for the next 400mi or so after I get the oil changed... but so far I am pretty excited for the qualities and refinement on this 900cc plant. 

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 2

You are going to have a good time with this bike. I’ve had mine since April of this year and after 11,000 miles still enjoy it as much as when new. The gas gauge is the same as on my FJ 09 that I had before, no movement until about 90 miles, then it starts dropping. The fuel remaining/consumed function feature is pretty accurate though; if it says 2.5 gallons left, for example, it has always been within 0.2 gallons or so at fill up. 

The motor is superb, and will only get better. It continues to loosen up and get even stronger over the first 10,000 miles, in my experience. I like A mode with traction control setting 1, personally. No lack of power.

• Thumbsup 3

14 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

4. The engine is very very smooth down low.   Gets a bit buzzy above 6K RPM.   I do have some bar vibrations I need to look into.  I owned a Triumph Sprint ST Triple before this so I know how they can get in the upper RPM bands. 5

Try Grip puppies. They work wonders

14 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

5. Foot position is good, if agressive for an upright bike like this.  GReat for corners, but I need to work on the see height a bit.  I think the lower seat height is great for at stop lights, but when riding the higher seat height may fit me better to give the legs some room.    And yes my boots hit the passenger peg brackets, but I actually liked reaching my boots back and resting on them a little bit a few times on the ride. 

The only problem is there is very little clearance in corners so it is almost inevitable you end up dragging them and the centre stand

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

3. the LCD dash is nice, but I would like more data fields to choose from... no battery voltage, no Miles to Empty,  no Hours on the engine/oil, etc...  Would seem like a software update could bring some of that to the dash.

There is a maintenance section in the user menu where you can track your oil change mileage as well as any other item you might wish to add.  Refer to the owners manual for details.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

4 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

There is a maintenance section in the user menu where you can track your oil change mileage as well as any other item you might wish to add.  Refer to the owners manual for details.

yep I saw that, it's a nice feature.   The Engine hours count is handy to have and I wish this bike had it.