Front suspension, vibration at high speed

Hi, 

Yesterday I took the bike (fj 09, 2016, 24,000 kms) for a Sunday ride. On the highway I accelerated at 170 kms / hr. Starting around 145, I felt a vibration in the front... And you could see how the right hand bar vibrated a bit more. Just below 145 the bike is perfectly stable. It is not the wobbling people have reported. It was a vibration where the dashboard was showing it. It is not a motor produced vibration... It's clearly just frontal suspension 

Things that I think should be considered are : I recently changed the front tire for a continental trial attack 2. And second, is that the right front wheel disk has a little bent that you can feel when you press the front break. Wonder if this is a factor that may produce this vibration at high speed. .. Feeling it more in the right side of the front 

Taking it tomorrow to the yamaha shop. 

Any deas? 

How did your rotor get bent? Could that have also bent other items? Rim etc?

Warped (bent) rotors IME have only ever made me notice under braking -- but my experience is limited and that could vary by how badly it's warped. While there may be other issues/causes seems like getting that squared away first is logical. 

Not sure I could find a Yamaha dealer that would (or that I'd want to) try to diagnose an issue that only happens at 90 mph :) 

On 9/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, chitown said:

How did your rotor get bent? Could that have also bent other items? Rim etc?

Warped (bent) rotors IME have only ever made me notice under braking -- but my experience is limited and that could vary by how badly it's warped. While there may be other issues/causes seems like getting that squared away first is logical. 

Not sure I could find a Yamaha dealer that would (or that I'd want to) try to diagnose an issue that only happens at 90 mph :) 

I got the bike at 5,000 Kms; the bent was there already. I had been planning on buying a new one. Yet, in the past (couple of years ago), I recall running the bike with this situation, at 185 Kms / hr (ECU speed limit) and I don't remember this vibration.

Already called the Yamaha dealer; they mentioned several factors... Bearings, suspension bars maintenance, the new tire, etc. Hope they get with the cause

• 2 weeks later...

Yamaha has reviewed it. Bearings are fine, Calipers were adjusted, bar suspension are fine . I tested the bike and I feel the same. I asked someone that has the same bike here in my town, even newer model... He feels worst, and says he have heard of others with the same issue.... I wonder if it's the wobbling many people have talked about. Yet I feel this is more a vibration than a wind wobbling

Edited by alquimista

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, alquimista said:

Yamaha has reviewed it. Bearings are fine, Calipers were adjusted, bar suspension are fine... I feel this is more a vibration than a wind wobbling

Did they check that the wheel is balanced? Does the front end feel light at that speed? Just poking for more clues.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

14 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Did they check that the wheel is balanced? Does the front end feel light at that speed? Just poking for more clues.

In a car when you change the tire for a new one, balancing is necessary. I mentioned it to them and they said was not needed for this bike, even when I just changed the tire recently. How truth is it? 

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, alquimista said:

In a car when you change the tire for a new one, balancing is necessary. I mentioned it to them and they said was not needed for this bike, even when I just changed the tire recently. How truth is it? 

Well, if a customer comes complaining of vibration at speed... that should have been one of the things to check... and yes, MC wheels need balancing. It's a rotating mass with components on there that can impact balance.

Sounds like you might want a second opinion from an independent MC shop.

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

@alquimista - My FJ picked up a pretty strong vibration in the front starting around 90 mph (which equates almost exactly to your 145 kph) as my previous set of Michelin PR4 tires were nearing replacement time.  My assumption was a balance problem, thinking that it had most likely thrown a wheel weight off somehow.  Since I was planning to replace the tires anyway, I didn't put much effort into searching out the root cause... 

Fresh tires (mounted and balanced) cleared up the problem completely, and I've been fine for the 3,500 miles or so I have on this set of PR5s.   What you're describing absolutely sounds like a wheel balance problem, and if it started when you mounted the fresh tire, that just further suggests it needed to be balanced.  

• Thumbsup 2

On 9/27/2019 at 9:19 AM, texscottyd said:

@alquimista - My FJ picked up a pretty strong vibration in the front starting around 90 mph (which equates almost exactly to your 145 kph) as my previous set of Michelin PR4 tires were nearing replacement time.  My assumption was a balance problem, thinking that it had most likely thrown a wheel weight off somehow.  Since I was planning to replace the tires anyway, I didn't put much effort into searching out the root cause... 

Fresh tires (mounted and balanced) cleared up the problem completely, and I've been fine for the 3,500 miles or so I have on this set of PR5s.   What you're describing absolutely sounds like a wheel balance problem, and if it started when you mounted the fresh tire, that just further suggests it needed to be balanced.  

@texscottyd

I just came back from the highway, after having the front wheel balanced. It was indeed, the solution. At 170 km /hr, the bike was flying smoothly... Fully recovered. Lesson learned, after changing a tire, balancing its a must. 

I'm happy 🙂

Thank you for the tip! 

• Like 2

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, alquimista said:

I just came back from the highway, after having the front wheel balanced. It was indeed, the solution. At 170 km /hr, the bike was flying smoothly... Fully recovered. Lesson learned, after changing a tire, balancing its a must.

Glad to hear that you got the issue resolved.  I cant believe a shop would ever mount a tire and not balance it, that's just common sense. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I work part time in a motorcycle shop as my retirement gig. Common sense is not to be found in abundance. In addition if a wheel is not really clean and free of contaminates like cleaner residue wheel weights can fall off.  It actually takes a little effort to balance a wheel correctly and a little effort doesn’t always happen, sad to say. 

Edited by Guest
Spelling