Do we know if the 2020 GT will be new and improved?

ZigMerid

I haven't seen anything from the usual news outlets and the Yammy web sites are silent as you'd expect. Do we (as in the royal we) have any info on whether the 2020 GT will be much the same as the 2019 or are there significant changes expected?

I know the GT hasn't changed much since inception so realistically I don't expect much difference, but I ask because I'm wondering whether to hold off on a purchase or not.

Alternatively, if there is no news on the 2020 model, what would we like?

I for one would be interested in a) reduction in the 6+K RPM buzz b) TFT/Computer improvements c) Bigger tank d) Better wind protection. In general, a bit better "touring" features.

What do others think?

• Thumbsup 1

I actually love the fact that the bike is a sport tourer that leans heavily towards sport. For me the main improvement I would like is better ground clearance (not for off-roading) but for more every day use. I think the only features missing on the GT is the electronically adjustable suspension, and, cornering abs.

Everything else is just tweaks which I can live without

• Thumbsup 3

I like the GT leaning to sport as well.  Yamaha have a touring leaning Sports Tourer already.

Better suspension is all I would want.  The bike is built down to a price, so I guess they have to economise somewhere.

• Thumbsup 5

4 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

I haven't seen anything from the usual news outlets and the Yammy web sites are silent as you'd expect. Do we (as in the royal we) have any info on whether the 2020 GT will be much the same as the 2019 or are there significant changes expected?

I know the GT hasn't changed much since inception so realistically I don't expect much difference, but I ask because I'm wondering whether to hold off on a purchase or not.

I for one would be interested in a) reduction in the 6+K RPM buzz b) TFT/Computer improvements c) Bigger tank d) Better wind protection. In general, a bit better "touring" features.

What do others think?

FWIW - this 'other' thinks it may be a bit early for any significant changes/ upgrades to appear, given that the GT iteration is only about a year old.   Maybe some colour options at most, but I am willing to be wrong!

Personally, since touring and longer one-day outings are my thing, I'd like to see a version of the GT with the following:

• revised gearing with 6th being an overdrive
  • larger tank, to (say) 20L 
  • better seat
  • belt-drive.

IF any significant changes are being made, I'd expect to see the new model(s) on display at upcoming European motorcycle shows, usually held in the (northern) autumn.

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I don't see much improvement, just different colors, maybe a little refinement of the electronics package... I really hope Yamaha actually starts using a 200# test rider as the majority seems to need heavier springs vs a 140# test rider 🙊🙉🙈

I really wish they would use the latest electronics used in the actual sports bikes, just better refinement but I understand it would increase the cost a bit... maybe one day this little motor will find itself in a crotch rocket chassis, its a nice blend of twin cylinder torque with the 4 cylinder RPM horsepower to give a huge usable powerband... 

• Thumbsup 2
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

13 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

What do others think?

Wouldn't those asks/goals for a upgraded GT be just a FRJ1300?  (Smoother engine, bigger tank, better wind protection, and touring focused)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Wouldn't those asks/goals for a upgraded GT be just a FRJ1300?  (Smoother engine, bigger tank, better wind protection, and touring focused)

Yes - except for the weight!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

50 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

You don't get all those upgrades without some significant weight being added generally :) 

Except that most of the upgrades people are talking about really don't increase the weight. Apart from bigger tank capacity. Electronics, seat comfort, gearing and wind management could all be solved without any extra kgs. And the FJ, while a fine bike, is nearly 30% heavier and retails for 50% more in my neck of the woods, which is a hefty increase to solve a few "niggles".

I guess I see the TracerGT as a mid-weight sports/tourer and the FJ as a heavy-weight sports/tourer. Not really in the same class as each other. And, for the secondary/tertiary "touring" roads my government, ahem, builds, the lighter, more nimble Tracer is better suited methinks.

The interesting thing is that the TracerGT has very few direct competitors with most other manufacturers sticking with litre++ mega-tourers or adventure-tourers. So Yammy haven't got a lot of competitors snapping at their heels to keep them innovating and improving. Does that mean they should be lurking in this forum to keep in touch?  I hope so >:D

• Thumbsup 1

51 minutes ago, ZigMerid said:

Except that most of the upgrades people are talking about really don't increase the weight. Apart from bigger tank capacity. Electronics, seat comfort, gearing and wind management could all be solved without any extra kgs. And the FJ, while a fine bike, is nearly 30% heavier and retails for 50% more in my neck of the woods, which is a hefty increase to solve a few "niggles".

I guess I see the TracerGT as a mid-weight sports/tourer and the FJ as a heavy-weight sports/tourer. Not really in the same class as each other. And, for the secondary/tertiary "touring" roads my government, ahem, builds, the lighter, more nimble Tracer is better suited methinks.

The interesting thing is that the TracerGT has very few direct competitors with most other manufacturers sticking with litre++ mega-tourers or adventure-tourers. So Yammy haven't got a lot of competitors snapping at their heels to keep them innovating and improving. Does that mean they should be lurking in this forum to keep in touch?  I hope so >:D

The reason I bought the tracer was because it was a light and somewhat unique ST bike.   ST's have been on the decline for the last 10+ years.     Everyone in the US wants an adventure bike, or a long range tourer, or a cruiser...   Sport Touring bikes are a weird niche of generally not as comfortable as a Tourer, but without the offroad credentials of the ADV bikes.     I take my bikes on dirt/gravel roads, but not trails.   I did 550mi on my Tracer GT last weekend and the fuel tank capacity was almost exactly what my comfort limit was on the bike, which worked out well.   

bigger fairings add some weight for wind protection, and the structure/frame work under the fairing adds some heft.   the bigger engine adds a lot of weight.     But yeah I get what you are saying...  Just seems if you want a nimble, flickable, ST bike you can rock in canyons/twisties and carry some bags you always need to sacrifice a bit in comfort.   I just came from a Triumph Sprint ST (and have ridden a Ducati ST, and a Honda VFR800)...    this tracer is a magnitude better than any other ST I've ever been on.  Its light, fast, comfortable (VERY comfortable compared to any of those other bikes), and crazy nimble. 

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

I don't think this is quite true. There is the Triumph Tiger (I believe the XrX is the sporty version),  Versys (albeit 600), VFR, Ducati is closer to a litre bike.  If you want you can also include the Suzuki V-Strom and BMW 850 which are more adventure bias, and the NC750 although it is targets the more city commute crowd.

The reality is whilst the Tracer is more leaned towards sports, most people don't buy it for that specifically so then the touring bias of all the above bikes become relevant

• Like 1

Have seen this before online with do it all motorcycles. Current owners that actively post on forums want more touring oriented features. Manufacturers are more concerned about drawing new riders and don't see value in making the bikes more narrow in purpose when they already have touring oriented models.

IMO more bodywork and larger tank on a bike that already has poor aeros and high CoG probably wouldn't improve the experience. Vibe issues are very rider dependent. Good thing is with a chain drive owners change sprockets to what suits them. Fancy displays are nice but don't factor into my purchase decision  

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, chitown said:

Have seen this before online with do it all motorcycles. Current owners that actively post on forums want more touring oriented features. Manufacturers are more concerned about drawing new riders and don't see value in making the bikes more narrow in purpose when they already have touring oriented models.

True, Yamaha already has the R1 for pure sport and the FJR for touring.  A do-it-all "hybrid" type bike will always be a compromise for some riders. 

We are fortunate to have this model that is as versatile and crosses over to both sport and touring as well as it does.  You can tear it up in mountain and canyon twisties and then load on the side bags and head out on a week-long road trip with the comfort of heated grips and cruise control (and STILL tear it up in mountain and canyon twisties). 😎

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***