Jump to content
ZigMerid

Do we know if the 2020 GT will be new and improved?

Recommended Posts

Guest
On 9/23/2019 at 8:14 AM, dmanteigas said:

I know what I need in my GT for it to be perfect:

- Better brakes

- Better suspension

- downshift quickshifter

I don’t expect we will ever see that but it would be worth every penny of price increase because it would take the bike from very good to perfect. It’s a shame Yamaha has no desire to make the GT a class leader like they do the R1.  I would love to see sales numbers on Yamaha’s models. I wonder where the Tracer/GT fits in?  Certainly would think it outsells the FJR at this point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, donk said:

I don’t expect we will ever see that but it would be worth every penny of price increase because it would take the bike from very good to perfect. It’s a shame Yamaha has no desire to make the GT a class leader like they do the R1.  I would love to see sales numbers on Yamaha’s models. I wonder where the Tracer/GT fits in?  Certainly would think it outsells the FJR at this point?

Yamaha doesn't publish by-model sales breakdowns, at least not for US street bikes that I've ever seen. We will usually get about as far as 500cc+ street etc. 

I'd prefer to stay at the current price point and let me do suspension. I don't have a GT but the brakes on the 15 FJ are plenty good imo. For reference, I'm in the fast group in SoCal track days. 

'20 will be the last model year for the FJR. There's a send off commemorative edition with gold wheels etc. Probably less about sales than the  '21 Euro5 requirements. Expect to see some models from all mfgs that have had long production runs go away or changed significantly.

 

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, chitown said:

Yamaha doesn't publish by-model sales breakdowns, at least not for US street bikes that I've ever seen. We will usually get about as far as 500cc+ street etc. 

I'd prefer to stay at the current price point and let me do suspension. I don't have a GT but the brakes on the 15 FJ are plenty good imo. For reference, I'm in the fast group in SoCal track days. 

'20 will be the last model year for the FJR. There's a send off commemorative edition with gold wheels etc. Probably less about sales than the  '21 Euro5 requirements. Expect to see some models from all mfgs that have had long production runs go away or changed significantly.

 

I’m surprised that you think the brakes are pretty good.  That is one area I think my ‘15 was lacking. Not much stopping or much feel at the lever,IMO. 

 

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chitown said:

Yamaha doesn't publish by-model sales breakdowns, at least not for US street bikes that I've ever seen. We will usually get about as far as 500cc+ street etc. 

I'd prefer to stay at the current price point and let me do suspension. I don't have a GT but the brakes on the 15 FJ are plenty good imo. For reference, I'm in the fast group in SoCal track days. 

'20 will be the last model year for the FJR. There's a send off commemorative edition with gold wheels etc. Probably less about sales than the  '21 Euro5 requirements. Expect to see some models from all mfgs that have had long production runs go away or changed significantly.

 

On a barely-related note: how many V-Max do you think they sell?

I actually had to check to see if it was even offered as a 2019 model.

Sad that the FJR will be going away.

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

Sad that the FJR will be going away.

Agreed, it is a fantastic bike but beyond incremental changes over the years, it is a 17 year old design.  It still works well for its intended purpose but in today's climate of never ending technology, emission standards and "keeping up with the competition", you either keep up or get left behind.

I really hope Yamaha recognizes the FJR's legacy and adapts to the current market with a fresh update (like Honda's Goldwing) and not a forgotten memory. 

  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for forced induction with smaller sized engines... we already got a turbo kits for the CP2, CP3 and CP4 motors...even starting to have the kits run on e85, can you imagine the lil ole CP2 putting down 145whp/100tq on e85 🤪( granted it needs bigger 650cc injectors, aftermarket springs/rods/valves, HD clutch springs, ARP stud kit and ceramic coated pistons)... 

  • Like 1

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Time for forced induction with smaller sized engines... we already got a turbo kits for the CP2, CP3 and CP4 motors...even starting to have the kits run on e85, can you imagine the lil ole CP2 putting down 145whp/100tq on e85 🤪( granted it needs bigger 650cc injectors, aftermarket springs/rods/valves, HD clutch springs, ARP stud kit and ceramic coated pistons)... 

Curse you @norcal616 - I didn't need to know that I can put a Turbo on my FJ.  Now I won't sleep.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Motorcyclists can be a hard to please group. I'm pretty satisfied with the bike as is. Two things would make it better IMO, a stock seat that doesn't slant into the tank, and a little bigger menu wheel with more positive detents for better adjustment by feel while riding. Power is plentiful to me, and I like power and acceleration; this triple is a beast for it's size. Suspension is adequate. I'm not sure how the brakes could be much better except for the ABS accuation being a little coarse. Braking feedback through the levers is good, and relatively little force is needed to brake to lock up / ABS  activation. I practice emergency braking to ABS activation often, and have never noticed any brake fade. It's a pretty good bike, especially for the price. I even like the new black/red color offering. 😎

  • Thumbsup 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Curse you @norcal616 - I didn't need to know that I can put a Turbo on my FJ.  Now I won't sleep.

The FZ-09 shares the same airbox part number as the FJ-09, I dunno about the Tracer/GT bikes...

But here's the "curse" in action 😁

 

 

  • Thumbsup 1

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Time for forced induction with smaller sized engines... we already got a turbo kits for the CP2, CP3 and CP4 motors...even starting to have the kits run on e85, can you imagine the lil ole CP2 putting down 145whp/100tq on e85 🤪( granted it needs bigger 650cc injectors, aftermarket springs/rods/valves, HD clutch springs, ARP stud kit and ceramic coated pistons)... 

 All the bikes above will also need a frame and suspension,  that can handle the extra horsepower. I can't think of any aftermarket forced induction bike that were good for anything other than going fast in a straight line. Come to think about it, many of the factory bikes weren't any better. But it is cool😈


He who dies with the most toys wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, norcal616 said:

Time for forced induction with smaller sized engines... we already got a turbo kits for the CP2, CP3 and CP4 motors...even starting to have the kits run on e85, can you imagine the lil ole CP2 putting down 145whp/100tq on e85 🤪( granted it needs bigger 650cc injectors, aftermarket springs/rods/valves, HD clutch springs, ARP stud kit and ceramic coated pistons)... 

Woah, woah, woah.  There's turbo kits for the CP3?  I can slap a turbo on my GT?  To google I go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Woah, woah, woah.  There's turbo kits for the CP3?  I can slap a turbo on my GT?  To google I go!

The price tag starts at almost $7k but adds at least 60% more hp and torque!

 


***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, betoney said:

The price tag starts at almost $7k but adds at least 60% more hp and torque!

 

Oh, good lord.  That's amazing.  I doubt I'll ever have 7k to drop on something like that, but a man can stream, right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 7:14 PM, ZigMerid said:

I haven't seen anything from the usual news outlets and the Yammy web sites are silent as you'd expect. Do we (as in the royal we) have any info on whether the 2020 GT will be much the same as the 2019 or are there significant changes expected?

I know the GT hasn't changed much since inception so realistically I don't expect much difference, but I ask because I'm wondering whether to hold off on a purchase or not.

Alternatively, if there is no news on the 2020 model, what would we like?

I for one would be interested in a) reduction in the 6+K RPM buzz b) TFT/Computer improvements c) Bigger tank d) Better wind protection. In general, a bit better "touring" features.

What do others think?

Yep. Better screen better seat, not angled so much. Option of a lower comfortable seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, Chops said:

Yep. Better screen better seat, not angled so much. Option of a lower comfortable seat. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×