Is abrupt fueling unique to Yamaha?

3 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

I sold my 2020 Africa twin because of the fueling...my 2020 Tracer GT is like butter compared to it and I ride in A mode all the time!

Hmmmmm.....my buds new 2021 AT has perfect fueling from what he's told me, he does however have the DCT adventure sports model.

18 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Hmmmmm.....my buds new 2021 AT has perfect fueling from what he's told me, he does however have the DCT adventure sports model.

Yeah maybe that one is better.  The fueling itself was good but the throttle snatch was horrible.  The slightest let off had you rapidly decelerating...its a parallel twin thing I am sure.  My Tracer GT is smooth as silk in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I had 2WD in WA flash my ecu a few years ago on my 2015 FJ-09. Also, I put in a Throttle Tamer, detached the O2 sensor, adjusted the TPS. Even installed a heavier drive chain. It all helped, but that annoying little lurch is still there when resuming throttle application. I am just now seeing this thread and hearing of the Booster Plug. Should I get one? Will it be compatible with a flashed bike, and further reduce the snatch?

• Thumbsup 1
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

I have an ‘18 Goldwing Tour model and it has the most abrupt throttle of any bike I’ve had I think. I’ve adjusted in my 1 1/2 years of ownership and it’s not really a problem for me at all anymore. It probably took me a couple months before I had mostly adapted. 
I’ve been reading Indian forums about a throttle hesitation on the Challenger. It’s so bad on some bikes that blipping the throttle to rev match on a downshift sometimes does nothing. Now that would be really irritating. 

I've also done all the known fixes to the throttle/fueling, and while it has significantly tamed the lurchiness, it is always right below the surface. It keeps me from completely trusting the bike. Maybe it's a good thing, as it keeps me from pushing the envelope...  

I also see that there's quite a range in the herky jerky factor. Just yesterday I rode Downieville, Sierra City, and LaPorte with @JDChico89, and he doesn't feel much of this on his '15.  But then again, he got his FJ-09 after riding a paint shaker with wheels for many years...

• Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Previous FZ07 was terrible till ECU flashed by 2WDW, then perfect.

ST1300 no flash available or I'd have done it. Wasn't bad, weight was high, hides jerkiness.

Rest of bikes carbs.

FJ09 is now perfect, had to have 2WDW flash and APS adjusted to lowest #'s possible.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 8:51 AM, Wintersdark said:

There IS a noticable fuel economy change when you disable that.  It's not huge, but it's noticeable if you manually keep track of fuel used/miles traveled (it often won't really show in the bike's fuel consumption display).  

It's worth doing though, IMHO - you don't lose any get up and go (you're not changing the immediacy of the fueling) but rather you're reducing the engine braking so there's less sudden shift from engine braking to accelerating.  

I'm curious how this will apply with the slipper clutch on the 2019 Tracer GT, though - maybe it won't be necessary?  I'll know in a couple hours :)

On 11/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, Chris FJR said:

12 years ago I switched from a BMW K100RS to an FJR.  I thought the throttle a little abrupt and put on a G2 Throttle Tamer, and I became perfect.  Felt like a rheostat.  Totally linear.

With my new Tracer GT I felt it was even worse.  Like an old fashion turbo which hits a certain RPM and just "explodes" in acceleration.  Put on a G2 Throttle Tamer and it helped.  It's still way worse than my FJR, put it was an improvement.  A $75 fix.

Street and Dirt throttle tamers by G2 Ergonomics are specificaly designed...

If you have heated grips, you'll have to be careful removing the old grip, but not a big deal.

interesting ,,could it because your in Cal with all their crazy restrictions ,,,my 2020 GT is pretty dam smooth { but I am coming off a fz07} ,,,plus no turbo explode as you put it ,,

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I find running high revs (above 7k) in the twisties and letting the slip/assist clutch do its thing on downshifts permits on/off throttle application without snatchiness.

Now that is with a flash, a well calibrated right wrist, and a lot of 2 smoke experience.