Retract CCT

keithu

• Premium Member

This thing.

I've gotten almost all the way through a valve adjustment without the service manual, but I can't figure out how to retract the cam chain tensioner. I read that I need a special tool, but I still don't know what the procedure is.

I suppose I could just buy a manual tensioner, but that means another week of down time waiting for a part.

KIMG2497.JPG

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, keithu said:

This thing.

I've gotten almost all the way through a valve adjustment without the service manual, but I can't figure out how to retract the cam chain tensioner. I read that I need a special tool, but I still don't know what the procedure is.

I suppose I could just buy a manual tensioner, but that means another week of down time waiting for a part.

KIMG2497.JPG

Hope this helps. 

9514B26D-BEAE-4404-A623-4237AED43F9D.jpeg

3846E24F-B565-4466-A93E-A88A7698617E.jpeg

A78989FF-646E-4007-A446-C669FC955112.jpeg

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

Images are out of order. Sorry. One image is disassemble and 2 images are reassemble. Follow the letters. Lol 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

Perfect, just what I needed. I was able to make my own tool from a cut-down 3mm allen wrench; I'll post photos tomorrow.

Side note: I almost had a disaster. I used zip ties on the cam sprockets to keep them timed. When I cut one of the zip ties the looped end broke off for some reason and fell down inside the engine. After lots of inspection with a flashlight I found the errant zip tie fragment down along the cam chain. I was able to extract it with my pinkie finger and long needlenose pliers, but it was scary for a little while.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 3

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, piotrek said:

When are you firing the bike? TB sync next?

Maybe tonight after work, if not tomorrow for sure. I need to pick up some distilled water to mix with the new antifreeze. Once it's running then I'll do a TB sync, which won't take long since it's all apart already anyway.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, keithu said:

Maybe tonight after work, if not tomorrow for sure. I need to pick up some distilled water to mix with the new antifreeze. Once it's running then I'll do a TB sync, which won't take long since it's all apart already anyway.

Unless your tap water is super-hard (i.e. has a high mineral content) then tap water is fine for coolant mixtures.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, BBB said:

Unless your tap water is super-hard (i.e. has a high mineral content) then tap water is fine for coolant mixtures.

Even relatively clean tap water has minerals in it which makes the water more electrolytic, and this promotes corrosion. If distilled water was hard to get I would agree that it's not worth the trouble, but I can get it for $1 per gallon at any grocery store.

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

I was able to fire it up last night. There weren't any scary crunching noises and it ran okay, so I synced the throttle bodies. Alas, my idea to reuse the right side crankcase cover gasket was a bad one, because now it leaks like an old Harley. I'm trying to decide if I want to drive up to the Yamaha dealer for a new one, or just use some gasket maker.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, keithu said:

I was able to fire it up last night. There weren't any scary crunching noises and it ran okay, so I synced the throttle bodies. Alas, my idea to reuse the right side crankcase cover gasket was a bad one, because now it leaks like an old Harley...

Great news overall then... and at least the timing chain cover gasket is an easy fix. Just have to mind that the chain guide pivot pin stays firmly in place (crankcase side) as you remove the cover.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, piotrek said:

Great news overall then... and at least the timing chain cover gasket is an easy fix. Just have to mind that the chain guide pivot pin stays firmly in place (crankcase side) as you remove the cover.

Yep, I already learned about that one. The pivot pin tends to slide out with the cover. In fact I thought it was just part of the cover for a while.

• Premium Member

I actually remove the cam chain tensioner completely It's tricky to get in and out but it gives you a lot more slack when reinstalling the cams and timing them I used some needlenose initially to hold the exhaust sprocket cuz that's the one it seemed to be the hardest time or was it the intake I don't recall now then I got the knock off of the Yamaha sprocket tool but haven't used it yet next time but I'm surely not waiting for 22,000 like I did last time because the valves were all tight I mean really tight

And even though the ECU flash eliminated the pair injection function I left it in place and flipped the Reed valve stops over to ensure there's no leakage

• Thumbsup 1

• 9 months later...

So if I understood correctly the stock cam tensioner can be adjusted for more pressure im asking since is goin to take some time until the manual one arrives to my country.

It seems the only one I can get is this one ape does not make shipments to my country.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Black-Manual-Tensioner-Yamaha-Tracer/dp/B07DFGJNCK/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=fj09+Cam+Chain+Tensioner&qid=1593594753&sr=8-2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, skipperT said:

It’s not supposed to be, but if you follow the illustrations posted above to make your own 3mm cut Allen wrench - then you can insert it into the cam chain tensioner and turn it clockwise 1/8-1/4 turn. 
-Skip. 

I did that but seems I will have to replace the tensioner I wonder if anyone try this one 
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Black-Manual-Tensioner-Yamaha-Tracer/dp/B07DFGJNCK/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=fj09+Cam+Chain+Tensioner&qid=1593594753&sr=8-2

I just dont want to end making the issue a big trouble instead fixing it, APE dont send stuff to my country sadly.