Incredible $30 Aux Lights

Guest eatpasta

Guest eatpasta
So over at the FJR site I learned about these awesome little Cree lights for $15 a pop and the guy really seemed to like them.  Not only that, but he said they were durable and had already lasted him quite a long time.

41vEXFJ9ONL._SY355_.jpg  41qxQ8LHciL._SY355_.jpg

Finally got my lights wired up and blown away at how much light they put out for $30. They're better than the stock headlights.

Everything off

F42D465E-E4BC-4836-9EA7-E5D989D17EB5_zpsvyhjyqq2.jpg

just the Cree's

B9DE505F-38A4-400F-9F8D-98386D77FA4D_zpsvlcak3ag.jpg

just the Cree's

E3BF423B-C6FE-4554-9BF5-AD0494A3D7C2_zpstttpmmcq.jpg

off

50B0E1C5-E468-444D-A8FA-A864F3A52687_zps6opgojw7.jpg

Stock headlight on low beam

130ACA7B-84EB-4BBD-AFB8-3CF933A2421F_zpss7yrfvhx.jpg

Stock headlight on low beam with Cree's

0F5A69A3-0869-4F41-8D2E-0C2C11683988_zpsetwwlebf.jpg

stock headlight, low beam

12FE0E53-88DD-4873-BB20-B0F615398068_zpshauunvjr.jpg

stock headlight, low beam with Cree's

7F03B290-1B08-4616-9B3C-E09C97A434AD_zpsy2hpsrup.jpg

for anyone thats interested here is the link

if had the FJ I would probably go with something a little bigger maybe something like this

41RDAzXJsjL._SX450_.jpg

enjoy!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Where did you get them from? I found the larger lights on Amazon, but couldn't find the smaller ones. For $30, that fits within whatever budget I won't blow buying the bike next week....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest eatpasta
Where did you get them from? I found the larger lights on Amazon, but couldn't find the smaller ones. For $30, that fits within whatever budget I won't blow buying the bike next week....
 I posted the link in the thread dood....

no more skimming for you!

nono_zps3fwghmtk.gif

lol8_zpsga4gz4fr.gif

yeah I think installed and running they cost me $35.  BEST $35 I HAVE EVER SPENT ON A BIKE

• Premium Member

My wife always complains that I should read ALL of the message.  Maybe she's right :-).  Thanks!
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest eatpasta

My wife always complains that I should read ALL of the message.  Maybe she's right :-).  Thanks!
yeah, I get accused of skimming too.....that's probably why I said it so that i could be the one to say it for once

rolleyes1_zpsb0xy5bnd.gif

Guest eatpasta
I fitted the same lights they are as bright as the headlamps and a quality item made of aluminum not plastic  

http://fj-09.org/post/5682
oh cool!   Glad to see that lots of folks are making use of these inexpensive lights to keep them safer and even see better.     The PIAA's I has on my GS made all the difference in the world

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I am totally electronologically challenged and a fully paid-up member of the Luddite Society. I never ever dared to tinker with the electrics on my previous BMWs for fear of upsetting the CAN-BUS gods.
So - is this pair of lights an easy fit to an FJ-09, please?   Do I need a degree from MIT to attempt it myself? Any tips or tricks to make it easier?
Thanks..
L of S [em]('39 model)[/em]
BTW - a friend Down Here in Oz has fitted some SKENE auxiliary lights to his bike. They are awesome... not cheap, but [em]boy! -[/em] do they stand out.

Guest eatpasta
I am totally electronologically challenged and a fully paid-up member of the Luddite Society. I never ever dared to tinker with the electrics on my previous BMWs for fear of upsetting the CAN-BUS gods. So - is this pair of lights an easy fit to an FJ-09, please?   Do I need a degree from MIT to attempt it myself? Any tips or tricks to make it easier?
Thanks..
BTW - a friend Down Here in Oz has fitted some SKENE auxiliary lights to his bike. They are awesome... not cheap, but [em]boy! -[/em] do they stand out.
 Im pretty much in the same boat as you as far as the electronics stuff goes so I enlisted a friend of mine to help me install it for a couple of beers but mostly as an excuse to catch up.
     It's really as easy as just wiring it to your battery with a fuse and switch on the positive side, you just have to remember to turn them off as they will stay on when the bike is off.
  You of course can get fancy by tapping into the harness but I didnt even want to mess around with that.

• Premium Member
I am totally electronologically challenged and a fully paid-up member of the Luddite Society. I never ever dared to tinker with the electrics on my previous BMWs for fear of upsetting the CAN-BUS gods. So - is this pair of lights an easy fit to an FJ-09, please?   Do I need a degree from MIT to attempt it myself? Any tips or tricks to make it easier?
Thanks..
 Im pretty much in the same boat as you as far as the electronics stuff goes so I enlisted a friend of mine to help me install it for a couple of beers but mostly as an excuse to catch up.      It's really as easy as just wiring it to your battery with a fuse and switch on the positive side, you just have to remember to turn them off as they will stay on when the bike is off.
  You of course can get fancy by tapping into the harness but I didnt even want to mess around with that.

I happen to know a guy that writes decent how to's, that will do this in the future, but not right away. thumb_zpsxkcugjdg.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
 Im pretty much in the same boat as you as far as the electronics stuff goes so I enlisted a friend of mine to help me install it for a couple of beers but mostly as an excuse to catch up.      It's really as easy as just wiring it to your battery with a fuse and switch on the positive side, you just have to remember to turn them off as they will stay on when the bike is off.

I happen to know a guy that writes decent how to's, that will do this in the future, but not right away. thumb_zpsxkcugjdg.gif
 The FJ didn't appear to have any obvious / easy spots in which to mount some lights but since I dont have one, I could be wrong of course.
   Again if I had one, I would go with these probably....

61B34UrkLfL._SL1018_.jpg

something a little bigger

The FJ didn't appear to have any obvious / easy spots in which to mount some lights but since I dont have one, I could be wrong of course.
   Again if I had one, I would go with these probably....

61B34UrkLfL._SL1018_.jpg

something a little bigger

Simply bolt on to front fender using original fixings

No switch need if you use this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/360994863499?_mwBanner=1

The lights come on when the motor is running and off when it's not

It's a two wire connection direct to the battery

I've got a pair of these CREE's round lamps for about less than $30 from www.dx.com (Dealextreme.com) with free shipping international. I put these on my Versys 650 for those really dark unlit roads at night and they are really bright.

Once, my headlamp bulb blew and I used these LEDs and they were more than sufficient to provide a well lit solution.

• Premium Member
yeah I think installed and running they cost me $35.  BEST $35 I HAVE EVER SPENT ON A BIKE

I didn't get exactly the same lights as you did, I went for a model without the diffuser. 
The lights don't feel cheap at all -- the enclosures are all metal and fit and finish is remarkably good for such a cheap item.

Having said that, the reviews are all over the map on those lights.  Apparently the early failure rate is pretty high, and you want to be careful with the stock hardware -- the tiny little allen bolt that holds the mounting plate on is really easy to strip.  I'm thinking I'll loctite the hell out of that, and/or epoxy the pieces together.  I can't see that I'd ever need to take that piece off again.

I spent some of the time I was at the dealer looking at mounting points for the lights, seeing as I won't be picking up the bike for at least a few more days.  I'd be interested in photos of how you did it.  I'm sort of thinking of mounting them low, on the forks, although I'm not sure that's a great idea in terms of rock damage.  Plus if I mounted them higher maybe I could angle them to make them useful as cornering lights.

What did you do for a switch, and where did you mount that?  I'm trying to decide if I want to do a switch or wire a relay into the high beam wiring; I like the independent switch for flexibility, but there's a lot to be said for One Big Light Switch both in terms of ease of use and handlebar clutter.

I accidentally bought two pair of lights so I have spares if one or two of them goes bad.  They're so cheap I don't think it's even worth trying to pursue a warranty claim, but if I get two long-lasting lights out of the four I have then I'm not going to complain, given their price.  Even so I sort of think of these as stopgap lights until I can afford a major brand with known quality profile.

[Edited, twice, for spelling.  Gah!]
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest eatpasta
I didn't get exactly the same lights as you did, I went for a model without the diffuser. 
What did you do for a switch, and where did you mount that?  I'm trying to decide if I want to do a switch or wire a relay into the high beam wiring; I like the independent switch for flexibility, but there's a lot to be said for One Big Light Switch both in terms of ease of use and handlebar clutter.

I just got a push button switch off of Amazon at the same time that I got the lights and just used a zip tie to affix it to the handlebars.  It's a little ghetto but its so small your hardly notice it

Archived