Reinstall the cam chain tensioner (CCT)

keithu

• Premium Member

Reinstalling the OEM automatic cam chain tensioner (CCT) calls for a special tool, but I was able to make my own tool with a cut-down 3mm allen wrench.

The long side of the 3mm wrench should be cut to 40mm long. I cut the short side down to 6mm, but this was too short and it was difficult to use when adjusting the tensioner down against the chain guide. 10mm on the short side should still clear the frame during install.

Steps:

1. Insert the tool in the CCT as shown in the first photo. Push against the tensioner with your hand while turning the tool counter-clockwise. Keep turning until the CCT is fully retracted.

2. Leave the tool in the CCT and install it in the engine as shown in the second photo. Apply thread locker to the two 5mm allen bolts securing the tensioner to the block, and tighten to 10 nm / 7.2 lb ft. This photo was taken before I realized I needed to cut the short side of the tool down to clear the frame.

3. Turn the tool clockwise until the tensioner contacts the chain guide. Remove the right side case cover so you can feel when the CCT contacts the guide.

4. Turn the tool 1/4 turn past where it contacts the guide. Remove the tool and install the 10mm bolt in the middle of the CCT.

5. Crack open a cold beverage of your choice.

KIMG2500.JPG

KIMG2499.JPG

KIMG2505.JPG

• Thumbsup 2