Stainless Steel brake Lines?

• Premium Member

I have been thinking about putting stainless steel brake lines on my 2015 FJ 09. Anyone done this mod?  And if so, how difficult was the installation, and which brand / model did you install?

And finally, how much do you feel it improved the braking on the bike?

• Premium Member

I hate to say this and I'm not trying to be mean or Gruff but you should do a search it's been done and disgust a fair amount in detail and it's not necessarily the easiest mod to make, especially the front lines

I went with Spiegler and don't regret it

I also installed R1 320 mm rotors which require the standoff spacers and bolts

I also went with a 2014 R1 master cylinder (mc) and did my own fluid reservoir and bracket for mounting the reservoir and mirror using a mc bar clamp with threaded boss designed for mc without it (as the OEM mc)

As well as Double H Plus brake pads

Can you stay it stands on its nose?

• Supporting Member

@DavidS - I am considering doing this as an "off season" project.  I have researched this project a bit and know that it is more complex than when I did it on my previous non-ABS bike, which literally took about 30 minutes.

One thing I like about the Spiegler Brake Lines is the ability to "adjust" the angle of the banjo mating surface.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 hours ago, daboo said:

What's wrong with the brake lines that came with the bike?

Chris

Wrong is a strong word.. Nothing is wrong; however, they are higher performing options available. 

Another +1 for Spiegler. I have a set on my GSXR and love them.

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, betoney said:

@DavidS - I am considering doing this as an "off season" project.  I have researched this project a bit and know that it is more complex than when I did it on my previous non-ABS bike, which literally took about 30 minutes.

One thing I like about the Spiegler Brake Lines is the ability to "adjust" the angle of the banjo mating surface.

Thanks Betoney - great detailed video!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/26/2019 at 6:58 PM, daboo said:

What's wrong with the brake lines that came with the bike?

Chris

And, the owners manual on my 2017 says you should change the rubber brake hoses in the 4th year.  Why wouldn't you change them to steel braided lines then? Is there a video of someone doing it from start to finish, including bleeding every bit of air out of the system.  Double HH EBC pads made a big diff.

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, fjray said:

Is there a video of someone doing it from start to finish, including bleeding every bit of air out of the system

See the post right above yours for a how-to video.  Its not an FJ/Tracer, but the procedure is 99% the same.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 9/27/2019 at 8:38 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Rubber not only expands under pressure effecting feel (spongy) but also deteriorate and are more subject to damage 

This is all true, but it's worth noting that steel braided lines also deteriorate and should be replaced on about the same schedule as all-rubber lines. The steel braiding is just an outer sheath; inside is a fluid line made or rubber or similar material. Those internal lines deteriorate just like on any other brake line.

• Premium Member

I had steel braided lines installed and I felt no difference.  I switched to HH brake pads and that gave the brakes some bite. 

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, keithu said:

This is all true, but it's worth noting that steel braided lines also deteriorate and should be replaced on about the same schedule as all-rubber lines. The steel braiding is just an outer sheath; inside is a fluid line made or rubber or similar material. Those internal lines deteriorate just like on any other brake line.

The internal lines in most all SS units is not rubber but a type of "Teflon" that does NOT normally degrade (though hypothetically could be over stressed and rupture).  PTFE and the like will be discovered a 100,000 years from now in pristine condition despite exposure to all sorts of hydrocarbon, alkaline and acidic black ooze by extraterrestrial travelers curious about our then cold dark sphere and why it got that way.  The records they find will point to a certain US president who blocked efforts to mitigate global warming with the curious name Trump.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The internal lines in most all SS units is not rubber but a type of "Teflon" that does NOT normally degrade (though hypothetically could be over stressed and rupture).  

The teflon inner line may not be as prone to chemical degradation, but they are well known to fail due to abrasion. Dirt gets through the steel braided sheath and becomes an abrasive as the line flexes with suspension movement. If the stainless line has a plastic outer sheath that also seals the hose at rigid joints, then yes I suppose it has an indefinite lifespan. But if your SS lines are unsheathed, they need to be replaced periodically.  

On 9/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, DavidS said:

I have been thinking about putting stainless steel brake lines on my 2015 FJ 09. Anyone done this mod?  And if so, how difficult was the installation, and which brand / model did you install?

And finally, how much do you feel it improved the braking on the bike?

Yes did this mod. No more/less difficult as any other ABS brake line replacement. Galfers brand, think they only have one model for the full kit but can try to dig out a part number if needed. Slightly better feel than oem rubber lines but no evidence to suggest better performance in terms of distances. 

Always replace lines on my bikes with stainless when it comes time to do the first rubber line replacement. All have had an outer sheath and essentially are a lifetime replacement. In the long run it saves money because I'm not replacing the rubber lines repeatedly. And the time and labor required to replace lines on an ABS bike is something most are happy to avoid when possible. 

All new to me bikes get bled right away. Can't count how many times a brand new bike felt much better after a bleed. 

Also upgraded front pads to Vesrah ZD-248CT and love them. 

• Thumbsup 2

The change to HH pads made the biggest difference. I would start there and then the SS lines. If that does not do it for you changing to a r1 master cylinder will give that sport bike feel that some of us are looking for. So my recommendation is one step at a time starting with the HH pads and the  proceed from there if that does  not give you what you are looking for. Does any one know where I can buy a set of the spacers for the 320mm rotor replacement?