Stainless Steel brake Lines?

I dunno your riding habits but have you used the engine/gearbox to help slow down rapidly or use the rear brake more? Or bleed the system or replace with fresh fluid if over 2-3yrs old , suspension/setup also plays a decent part in how well a bike stops...These really don't cost any money/time but I would say go to HH pads and or bigger 320mm R1 rotors if you can find some spacers as the next step... I still got my spacers sitting on the shelf I brought a few years ago during a group buy... 

Edited by norcal616
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

The vesrah rjl CT which I got from Kurvy Girl IMO or not as good as the regular rjl which I had on my FJ first when I went to the 320 rotors and R1 master cylinder unfortunately the adjustable compression screw from Matt Patton's cartridges leaked at the adjuster screw o-ring and even trying to clean the regular RJLs, it was a no-go.  At least I was able to clean the rotors and use the Scotch-Brite pad and alcohol. I bleed my brakes with Dot 4 synthetic at least once a year and clean the pads calipers and rotors at least four times a season.

All my stainless braided lines have a vinyl sheath and I've never had one fail in 40 years plus.

As I said before getting the old front lines out was a real pain in the ass and I had to cut it like other people have.

I bought my longer caliper bolts and I think they were 11 mm spacers in Black from Matt Patton and there was a group by but unfortunately even though he's a nice guy and does good work and has quality components his business practices are terrible and he's very difficult to get a hold of and you cannot depend on him responding nor getting you your components in a reasonable period of time

On 9/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, chitown said:

All new to me bikes get bled right away. Can't count how many times a brand new bike felt much better after a bleed.

I do the same.  I could not believe how much air I took out after my first ride on the bike when I got it.  I thought I needed stainless steel lines right from the beginning but the bleeding made a big difference along with the HH pads.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

If my brake lines were due for replacement, I'd be replacing with SS lines... same effort. I don't see any cracking or contamination in the fluid, so not really tempted yet... but winters can be long and dangerous on the wallet. 😕

As others noted... refreshing the fluid in the lines every season makes a big difference. Big rotors and HH pads also contribute a little... 😁

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, piotrek said:

... but winters can be long and dangerous on the wallet. 😕

Very true.  I love to tinker and can never leave well enough alone, I am always looking for something to work on over the winter.  My bike gets taken care of better than I do. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 10/3/2019 at 7:23 PM, piotrek said:

... but winters can be long and dangerous on the wallet. 😕

So, temptation got the better of me, I now officially have a winter down-time project. 

image.png.712c7ce852502a9bd06765e6ecdab7f5.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Nice @betoney!   I have a full set of Galfer lines that have been sitting quietly on the shelf for over a year...  maybe this will motivate me to finally get my hands dirty and install them.    

I’ve heard stories of it being a complex job, but actually looking at the bike it doesn’t seem like it should be that big of a deal.   I guess we’ll both find out soon enough.  :) 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I’ve heard stories of it being a complex job, but actually looking at the bike it doesn’t seem like it should be that big of a deal.   I guess we’ll both find out soon enough.  :) 

I think the front hard lines will be a pain to remove.  Talking to the service tech at my local Yamaha shop, he said he did a line swap on an MT10 for a customer and said it was a pain in the @$$ to get the hard lines removed because they are buried way down beside the engine.  I'm actually looking forward to the project though, just for the sense of accomplishment.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

When doing the front lines take the easy route after you've bled them of course and just cut the front line next to the left side of the engine or wherever you can get to it and pull it out that way you're never putting them back in

• Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

When doing the front lines take the easy route after you've bled them of course and just cut the front line next to the left side of the engine or wherever you can get to it and pull it out that way you're never putting them back in

The mechanic I talked to said the same thing, he said if he ever did the job again he would make it easier and just cut the old lines. 

• Supporting Member

Today I tackled the rear brake line replacement.  Its not as bad as I was anticipating but still a pain at times.

Before starting the front or rear lines, tear the bike down to this state.

image.png.b82ca878ab7fc200cecc224c6d83f558.png

You will want unrestricted access to the ABS modulator

image.png.bcd9971e18ea748a1768158e18bd7391.png

Make a note of which line goes where

image.png.3ada1deefb9a97acb892e274c582d3f6.png

Now remove and replace replace one line at a time.  Note that the brake line kit didn't come with any instructions, make sure you are mechanically up to the task and know what you are doing BEFORE you start.

I cut the hard lines for easier removal.

image.png.526309bd15d09240bf7faf7de3239106.png

Route each new line in the same orientation as the one it is replacing, replace the fluid and bleed the system.

image.png.7239f8230b6255d3aee3a784a85faeea.png

I will try to get the front lines replaced tomorrow, time permitting.  I noticed that the front hard lines are much longer than the rear so it could be a bit more complex and challenging to get the old lines removed.

The Spiegler lines have adjustable banjo fittings enabling you to clock them at any position for a very precise fit, I don't think every manufacturer has that feature.  I found that option invaluable as I adjusted the fittings on the ABS modulator end for a perfect fit.  I attached the caliper and master cylinder end first and then ran the lines up to the modulator.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

Kudos to you for even attempting such an intricate task: I can only hope that the results justify the effort.😎

• Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Kudos to you for even attempting such an intricate task: I can only hope that the results justify the effort.😎

I 2nd Wordsmith's comments. Curious what kind of a difference you notice with the new lines.....

Please share!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, DavidS said:

I 2nd Wordsmith's comments. Curious what kind of a difference you notice with the new lines.....

Please share!

As a fellow Pacific North Westerner, you are aware of the endless rain p!$$ing down from the skies lately.  ☹️

It might be late next week until I take the bike out on the roads for a test ride.  I will share my findings.

• Premium Member

My set of Speigler lines came with very detailed instructions with color photos no less.

Not such a big or difficult job , only the removal of the front lines being an issue.  Took me an afternoon including bleeding and a test ride.