Stainless Steel brake Lines?

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

My set of Speigler lines came with very detailed instructions with color photos no less.

Photos would have been nice but not totally necessary as its a 1 for 1 replacement.  The closest thing to "instructions" I got was a label on each line; front master cylinder, rear caliper, etc.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I just got the front lines swapped and the system bled.  The front was a bit more involved than the rear but nothing that cant be accomplished with planning and patience.  By far the worst part was removing the hard lines but cutting the hard lines in strategic points (planning) made it easier, then it was just a matter of fishing the new lines into place (patience) around the steering stem, over the radiator and along side the engine.

New lines in place!  Now its just a matter of getting the last few air bubbles out of the system.

image.png.f9838c209a4268d14b4932b85602bc98.png

image.png.d24586321573004b1ceaa7491de040d5.png

The weather this week is really ugly and wet.  I will get the bike put back together and ready for a test ride should the weather decide to improve.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

I just got the front lines swapped and the system bled. Now its just a matter of getting the last few air bubbles out of the system.

Haven't looked in the manual yet, but any pointers on bleeding/filling process? ABS pump remained full through this?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Haven't looked in the manual yet, but any pointers on bleeding/filling process? ABS pump remained full through this?

Every video I have watched and tech article I have read says that bleeding is exactly the same as a non-ABS bike.

I didn't drain the ABS pump but when I removed the lines from the calipers, I pumped the lever or pedal to get a good portion of fluid out of the lines before removing them from the pump. 

I currently have the lever and pedal bungee'd overnight to release any air bubbles.  When the weather clears up, I will take it out for a ride and cycle the system, then give it another quick bleed.

Edited by betoney
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

@piotrek  @DavidS  @texscottyd and @2and3cylinders  I was able to get out for a test ride today and the difference in lever/pedal feel was evident immediately, firmer much sooner and less lever/pedal travel needed to actuate the brakes. 

The one downside I noticed was actuating the ABS on the rear is now much easier.  I actually had to adjust my brake pedal down a bit so my foot travels further since the pedal is much firmer now.

I think putting a bungee on the lever and pedal overnight to release air bubbles helped tremendously as there is no spongy feel whatsoever.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, Buggy Nate said:

So what brands do we have to choose from? Spiegler, Hel, Goodridge, any others I’m missing?

Galfer also makes brake lines.  Like I mentioned previously, The banjo fittings on Spiegler lines are adjustable, I'm not sure if other brands offer this feature and I needed to adjust the angle of each line to fit perfectly.  Some fittings only a few degrees while a few fittings I adjusted several degrees.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:44 AM, betoney said:

Galfer also makes brake lines.  Like I mentioned previously, The banjo fittings on Spiegler lines are adjustable, I'm not sure if other brands offer this feature and I needed to adjust the angle of each line to fit perfectly.  Some fittings only a few degrees while a few fittings I adjusted several degrees.

Ah yeah forgot about galfer, thanks. Trying to find someone to buy off in Australia who isn’t going to charge $500 like Hel does. The different models between countries makes it confusing as hell.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 9/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, chitown said:

Yes did this mod. No more/less difficult as any other ABS brake line replacement. Galfers brand, think they only have one model for the full kit but can try to dig out a part number if needed.

Would you say that the front line is the same length as the stock line... shorter/longer? Found an installation guide for the set (FK003D809-5)... here. These the ones you installed?

Thanks.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Fit up the Wezmoto lines, good quality although needed a few rubber grommets in certain places where the abs sensor clamp.

The connect up to the hard lines rather than replace them like others, made the job a little tedious with the bike needing the tank air box and throttle bodies removed.

Took the opportunity to give the throttle bodies a clean while I was in there.

Cycled the abs down the driveway and some wet grass. Worked well! Brakes feeling much nicer although not completely solid like I prefer.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:22 PM, piotrek said:

Would you say that the front line is the same length as the stock line... shorter/longer? Found an installation guide for the set (FK003D809-5)... here. These the ones you installed?

Thanks.

That looks like the one. Would guess length about the same as stock but didn't compare closely.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 5:05 PM, DavidS said:

I have been thinking about putting stainless steel brake lines on my 2015 FJ 09. Anyone done this mod?  And if so, how difficult was the installation, and which brand / model did you install?

And finally, how much do you feel it improved the braking on the bike?

Bought speiglers probably 10,000 miles ago.  Night and day difference.  Master cylinder still sucks though 😩

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, Dirty Randy said:

Bought speiglers probably 10,000 miles ago.  Night and day difference.  Master cylinder still sucks though 😩

Take a look at my pics above of the 2015 R1 Brembo MC and my own fluid reservoir and bracket with mirror mount together with 320 mm R1 discs make a huge improvement along with HH+ pads