Stainless Steel brake Lines?

• Supporting Member

Honest question... want to understand why the stock MC is considered so poor. I understand it's manufactured to a price point, but Brembo still felt good enough to stamp their logo on the reservoir cover. Surely not a race-ready part, but still... what gives?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Honest question... want to understand why the stock MC is considered so poor. I understand it's manufactured to a price point, but Brembo still felt good enough to stamp their logo on the reservoir cover. Surely not a race-ready part, but still... what gives?

20140722brake.jpg

Radial calipers and radial master cylinders explained.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/25/2019 at 8:46 PM, piotrek said:

Nice read... thanks. I really shouldn't have read it.

Well now I have to read it after seeing this.  I do appreciate the info on this site.  Winter is just starting so now we moan, and wrench.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Some notes re: Galfer brake line kit for the FJ (bought on sale at RMATV)... the kit came mislabelled as front only. It was short on hardware (two clamps... no grommets) and what was there was poor quality. I ended up buying rubber-lined automotive brake line P-clamps and repurposed/made some grommets from OE lines. The lines themselves looked pretty solid.

galfer_front_clamps.thumb.PNG.c650a009fbe8430956cfb3be64b78d73.PNG

Banjo fittings on the rear lines could have been angled better at the ABS pump. I reached out to Galfer with photos, and they confirmed the install looked per design intent.

galfer_banjo_abs.thumb.PNG.eb72507cb2b2e8443762389b7ff82b9a.PNG

Had to improvise a bit here and there to make things work with the raised bar, i.e. could not use OE line routing. Overall happy with the install. Saved a bit of money, but it did come with a fair bit of head scratching. More the reason to celebrate when it finally comes together I suppose.

Removed the OE rear brake switch hardware and replaced with a Vortex hydraulic switch... it works, and cleans up the rear-set a bit.

vortex.thumb.PNG.6d7b161650d0f0358a17e1df6c961d0e.PNG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Thanks @piotrek - I also have a set of Galfer lines (the full 5-line kit) waiting to be installed.   I was going to do it last weekend when I had all the bodywork off, but got a bit overwhelmed and decided it could wait.   Seeing yours complete makes me feel inspired to get back in there soon.  

Did you just follow the detailed instructions with the kit?  I seem to recall there being electronic instructions from Galfer somewhere...  video or online pdf maybe?    

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Thanks @piotrek - I also have a set of Galfer lines (the full 5-line kit) waiting to be installed.   I was going to do it last weekend when I had all the bodywork off, but got a bit overwhelmed and decided it could wait.   Seeing yours complete makes me feel inspired to get back in there soon.  

Did you just follow the detailed instructions with the kit?  I seem to recall there being electronic instructions from Galfer somewhere...  video or online pdf maybe?    

Scott, as long as the lines are labeled it should be pretty easy even w/o instructions, one end of each line goes to the pump and the other goes to either MC or caliper, the 5th line is just a cross over for the front calipers.  Long lines are front, short lines are rear.

• Thumbsup 1

12 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Galfer FJ-09 5 line instructions

https://galferusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/D809-5-Instructions.pdf

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 3/31/2020 at 7:23 PM, texscottyd said:

Generally followed the Galfer PDF. The images are distorted (as confirmed by Galfer), but the general idea is there. I can take a bunch of photos if you'd like. The mid mount (under the seat) was a pain. Used the provided double line clamp, but had to do some bending.

Capture.thumb.PNG.3ac7924ec0f9331be00248efb278be7f.PNG

No grommets of any kind, so you'll have to strip OE lines as best you can (split and peel). Maybe my kit was just an anomaly and yous is a proper/complete set... take stock of what you have before you start the work.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Thanks for the link @chitown!   I knew there was something out there to reference.  

@piotrek, @betoney, et al...  did you guys remove the bodywork & tank when you did the brake line install?    I was looking at everything when I had it all apart this weekend, and it seemed a bit less imposing when you could look down on everything from the top.   Probably not necessary, but perhaps helpful?   

• Supporting Member
Just now, texscottyd said:

Thanks for the link @chitown!   I knew there was something out there to reference.  

@piotrek, @betoney, et al...  did you guys remove the bodywork & tank when you did the brake line install?    I was looking at everything when I had it all apart this weekend, and it seemed a bit less imposing when you could look down on everything from the top.   Probably not necessary, but perhaps helpful?   

Yes, I removed everything down to the airbox for easier access.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, BBB said:

Did you get the system bled okay @piotrek? Air in the ABS pump could be difficult to remove.

Eventually... but it took a couple of rides (activated the ABS several times) , bleeding after each ride.

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, texscottyd said:

...did you guys remove the bodywork & tank when you did the brake line install?...

I had the bike all apart for maintenance so had it all in the open. In any case, to complete alternate routing I needed to have the airbox out of the way. Might also help you in removing OE lines. Once you remove the plastics and the tank... might as well give yourself some extra space to see and work.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hi everybody, I'd like to attempt that thing...

I'm still questioning myself about the little block on the OEM lines that olds them under the steering...

@betoneysince you did it with the spiegler lines (that's the want I'd like to get), did they send something to hold there?

I don't want to ask too much, but if you could post a picture of that area, that would be awesome!