FJR bags on FJ

I've seen guys putting FJR1300 panniers on the FJ. Does anyone know how this is done? Simple bolt on with the mounts?

I don't own an FJ-09, but it's at the top of my list for my new coming bike this spring. The 22 liter bags offered for it won't cut it for my needs. The lack of pannier options (so far) could be a possible deal breaker. 

According to Twisted Throttle (SW Motech) and Givi, there might be some things in the works, but nothing solid they want to admit. According to email responses I've received. 

Yes, they fit using the same mounting points.  The inner 2/3 of the bag is the same, just the lid is thinner, so the bike won't be quite as wide as the FJR.  Yamaha does have a nice OEM trunk that will hold 2 helmets.

That's what I went with--city hard bags and a big trunk.  All of it pops on and off in seconds.
  • Thumbsup 1

I've seen guys putting FJR1300 panniers on the FJ. Does anyone know how this is done? Simple bolt on with the mounts? 
I don't own an FJ-09, but it's at the top of my list for my new coming bike this spring. The 22 liter bags offered for it won't cut it for my needs. The lack of pannier options (so far) could be a possible deal breaker. 

According to Twisted Throttle (SW Motech) and Givi, there might be some things in the works, but nothing solid they want to admit. According to email responses I've received. 

Make sure you get the side stays. Once these are mounted to the passenger pegs it just simple put them on the side holders lock the latch and your done.

So if I buy the FJ-09 bag mounts, and FJR panniers, it all installs no sweat? No funky mods needed?

What are side stays?

Kind of hard to picture since I don't own the bike yet.

I have a big ass givi trunk I've had mounted on a few different bikes. Would just need a tail rack to mount it to.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

So if I buy the FJ-09 bag mounts, and FJR panniers, it all installs no sweat? No funky mods needed? 
What are side stays?

Kind of hard to picture since I don't own the bike yet.

I have a big ass givi trunk I've had mounted on a few different bikes. Would just need a tail rack to mount it to.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

No funky mods unless you went with a tail tidy and keep the stock turn signals.
The side stays hold the bottom of the cases so they wont flop around.

My local dealer doesn't really know shit about making this happen. How do I know I'm ordering the ride thing? I see hard saddlebag mounts available from the yamaha accessory site for $93. Then I see stays available on oem sights for $17 each.

Where did you order yours from? What to look for?

It a pretty slick install - took about a half hour. I'm using a Givi V47 box with the adapter mounted to the Yamaha rack (which didn't take a half hour, but that's a different story). The mounts for the side bags are pretty low profile with the bags off - you don't really notice them. I bought discount FJR bags and the Givi box online, and got the side stays, rubbers, locks and tail rack ordered with the bike. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it all works - I'll post pics once I get the FJR bags recovered.

Guest bmidd
The only difference between the city cases and fjr case is the fjr's are big and come with a monkey inside the left case in case you need help fixing the bike. Trust me go with the fjr cases.
I keep telling people the animal revolution is upon us....